Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why is the new CTR so slow?

Old 01-10-2018, 08:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
On a smaller course, with lower speed turns and where the vehicle is accelerating hard out of low speed turns. Or on anything other than warm, dry pavement. I don't know the answer, but how does the braking compare?
I think about the only advantage the RS and R have over the CTR would be on anything other than warm, dry pavement, and perhaps a really tight track. My local track is a short with many low speed turns, including 3 consecutive hairpins. There isn't any issue with putting the power down when accelerating out of these corners in 2nd gear from 35mph.

Braking in the CTR is pretty much the best in class as shown at the bottom of this page:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-driver-page-4

There's also a clip showing the torque steer (or the lack of) in the CTR.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:08 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by ishtori5
The CTR laps the Nürburgring faster than RS and R. Exactly what advantage do they have over the CTR?
Typo, meant modded.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:34 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ishtori5
The CTR laps the Nürburgring faster than RS and R. Exactly what advantage do they have over the CTR?
I mean, the faster the track the more that the driven wheels matter less. The smaller, slower and tighter the track, the greater the disadvantage of the CTR's drivetrain layout.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
I mean, the faster the track the more that the driven wheels matter less. The smaller, slower and tighter the track, the greater the disadvantage of the CTR's drivetrain layout.
Possibly, but it is still an assumption. I honestly believe the difference will be minor or negligible compared to a RS or R even on a slower tighter track. In a 0-60 straight line acceleration the CTR is no match for AWD RS or R but once the CTR gets moving the lighter weight really helps it accelerate past the heavier AWD cars. Also, whatever the track you are still doing a lot of hard braking and that is where the weight comes in too. A lighter car means you will be able to brake later and pull out of the turn with higher speed than a heavier car.

The CTR doesn't have blistering 0-60 acceleration but where it really shines is its handling.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

as long as you are in mid to high 2nd gear, you shouldn't have any problems putting down the power "stock".

The problem is once modded. Will it still be able to put the power down to the ground as good as it is stock? We will find out once people start adding more power to the car. Not many people have tons of power currently because motec is the only standalone that's available and not many people will drop 5000 on motec.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted180sx
as long as you are in mid to high 2nd gear, you shouldn't have any problems putting down the power "stock".

The problem is once modded. Will it still be able to put the power down to the ground as good as it is stock? We will find out once people start adding more power to the car. Not many people have tons of power currently because motec is the only standalone that's available and not many people will drop 5000 on motec.
Shawn Church is saying that Hondata is making some good progress with the Bosch ECU in the Type R with some pretty good results so far. Nothing is shown yet but it seems like it won't be long.

IMO with its lighter weight and less drivetrain loss, I don't think the CTR would need as much power to deliver the same level of acceleration from a roll.

In terms of putting power down, I guess if you are into track days, it's your best bet to get a set of dedicated wheel setup. I mean I don't track that often and this is what I do too. Given that the OEM tires are just regular summer tires and nothing fancy like Sport Cup 2's, Trofeo R's, R888R, RS4, etc, there's much improvement to be made in the grip department. Also, the stock tires are only 245, it can easily take 9.5" rims with 275 tires for even more grip. My question though is how would the wider rims and tires and different offset affect the torque steer as I'd imagine the suspension geometry would be changed. Some early feedback seems to suggest that there's not much, if any, increase in torque steer. Perhaps these people are strong enough to handle a little torque steer.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:27 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iforyou
Shawn Church is saying that Hondata is making some good progress with the Bosch ECU in the Type R with some pretty good results so far. Nothing is shown yet but it seems like it won't be long.

IMO with its lighter weight and less drivetrain loss, I don't think the CTR would need as much power to deliver the same level of acceleration from a roll.

In terms of putting power down, I guess if you are into track days, it's your best bet to get a set of dedicated wheel setup. I mean I don't track that often and this is what I do too. Given that the OEM tires are just regular summer tires and nothing fancy like Sport Cup 2's, Trofeo R's, R888R, RS4, etc, there's much improvement to be made in the grip department. Also, the stock tires are only 245, it can easily take 9.5" rims with 275 tires for even more grip. My question though is how would the wider rims and tires and different offset affect the torque steer as I'd imagine the suspension geometry would be changed. Some early feedback seems to suggest that there's not much, if any, increase in torque steer. Perhaps these people are strong enough to handle a little torque steer.
Yeah. Just waiting to see what Hondata and Ktuner will provide. I'm not really looking for huge gains but I'd like to smooth out the graph and lose some of the "dips" that the factory tune has.

I'm lowered and have 9.5" +45s with 265 tires and I don't really notice any additional torque steer but i'm not a pro race car driver or anything lol.