Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why is the new CTR so slow?

Old 12-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,868 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I think alot of it is that, but also the timing of this thing. Remember when EVOs and STIs were giant slayers? Most of what I'm going to say is based on straight line numbers, but bear with me. Their numbers at the time were ridiculous, and in reality still impressive today. No one liked the fact that it was based on a cheap econo box with a huge wing, but you forgave those because they were legit giant killers, especially when you started modding them, and still are. But that was when the V8 pony cars were going to 60 in the 5s still and 13 second quartermile times were still really fast, those cars didn't really handle great, and the likes of Porsches and BMWs weren't that much faster. All 911s now do not need any apologies, they are all fast period. Base v8 pony cars now run in the sub 13s and can actually handle. So now you bring another factory tuned up car, with crazy boy racer stuff all over it, but it really isn't much faster than the giant killers that came before it, trying to play in today's market against legit competition, that's why it's been received the way it has. There will always be a lot of people who will only buy Japanese, or imports, especially Honda types, so they can show up to tuner meets and be the king of the castle, ain't nothing wrong with that and that's alot of the fun of our hobby. But outside of that crowd it will have difficultly with finding enthusiasts.
And then it's a FWD. Yes, apparently in the stock setup, this CTR seems to do wonders, but I can't remember a single EVO/STI/WRX/etc owner almost ever that bought these cars and didn't factor in the modding potential of those cars, and when you start increasing power, you will want awd or rwd. These cars are underdog cars that the average man can buy to go to the track, show up at a stop light, and take on those bougie high dollar cars. And that's where alot of the notoriety comes from.
Cool cars, but it does nothing for me. It's not light for a fwd car (3000lbs), not astonishing quick for its price especially when you consider markup, it is practical, and I don't like the way it looks or sounds, and I sure as hell don't like the way I look in one. yeah yeah I don't care what others think, blah blah, I see you guys saying that then going back to your pristine cars, I don't see any of you guys driving beat up, rusted out whatevers because driver brah. I'd love an Si for a DD though, just wish that one came in a hatch.
Agree. I'd say this is true for the new NSX as well.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:49 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Total off-topic aside, but our '16 Camaro SS has been AWESOME. Almost 30k miles so far and I still really enjoy driving it. Smooth and comfy, but still handles great and hauls a**. Sounds awesome too. I bet the 1LE is even more fun.
You actually turned me onto them a while ago when you reviewed the one your wife got. I had a very limited test drive with the 1le, but my first impression was damn that car feels special.
The following users liked this post:
QUIKAG (12-18-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
I love the way the Camaro looks, in general, especially the 1LE with the much nicer wheels and big brakes. I like the Mustang as well but they're more common right now (and my boss has one), so I don't know if I'd get one for a while.
I'm torn about the black hood and I don't really like the wheel design, but as a package it does sorta work. The interior I love, those seats are just about on par with the type r seats. You should really drive one when you get the chance, I think you'll be amazed how nimble it is, but the visibility is challenging.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:07 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

I've sat in one and a friend in Calgary bought a 1LE this summer, so I'll get a chance to drive it eventually. They're pretty rare here but we'll see if I can get a ride in one, somehow. I love the wheels on the 1LE but I'm not so set on the black hood, either.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
I've sat in one and a friend in Calgary bought a 1LE this summer, so I'll get a chance to drive it eventually. They're pretty rare here but we'll see if I can get a ride in one, somehow. I love the wheels on the 1LE but I'm not so set on the black hood, either.
Fortunately it's a wrap sdo if you don't like it, just take it off.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:48 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Evo posted a group test of CTR vs. Focus RS vs. SEAT Leon SC Cupra 300. CTR won.

"We could tease out the winner of the test, but there’d be no point because in he final reckoning the Honda walks it. No matter which way you cut it, the Civic comes out on top thanks to its staggering breadth of abilities. It’s no exaggeration to say that the Type R redefines what’s possible for a hot hatch – either front or four-wheel drive.

‘It bristles with capability, seriousness, competency, aggression’, enthuses Towler. ‘It successfully melds the outrageous performance people expected with old fashioned, but extremely relevant, qualities of interaction. It feels like a special car, honed for the task by a team on top of their game.’"
The following 2 users liked this post by white98ls:
Chibo (12-18-2017), JonBoy (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Outstanding review!
Old 12-19-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The CTR is not meant to compete with M2/Mustang GT/Camaro SS. If it is, Honda would of priced it like them . The dealership up-charge is basic supply and demand and not due to its performance. Because for the first time ever you can buy a brand new CTR direct from a local dealership in NA as there are a lot of pent up demand and dealerships are cashing in on it.

Most of us here won't pay the upcharge (myself included if I were to buy one). But no one can deny the fact critics all agree and lots of people are willing to pay the upcharge because it is an awesome car with great performance and offers practicality as a daily as well. Otherwise, there wouldn't be an upcharge to begin with.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi CTR owner here, former S2K/996 turbo owner, and current 997 GT3RS track car owner. Bought the CTR because I personally love the way it looks, reminds me of my high school days when modded Honda's with crappy erebuni / konig wheels were all the rage. I use the car to commute mainly to work in the NY metro area and I find it incredibly capable and fun. I was driving an old TL before, and in comfort mode, the CTR is pretty much about the same. The car is FAST once it gets moving, will see how it is on the track once spring comes but based on limited driving so far, the handling on the car is really good and you can carry a ton of speed through corners.

I'm surprised everyone is harping about weight, its not like the s2k is all that light at 2850 pounds vs. 3100 for the CTR with four doors. All of Porsche's GT cars are 3000+ pounds which is kind of the new norm for "light weight" with the exception of the Miata.
The following users liked this post:
PawnShop23 (12-20-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 07:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Almost every single new car that comes out has a mark up of some sort. It was to be expected. Focus RS had some, the Mustang GT350, GTR, etc etc. Hell, dealers around me are even charging 5k mark up for a 2.0t Accord that just came out lol.

Even the S2000 that we all love had a mark up when it came out. It's nothing new. It's all just a matter of time until it comes down and whether you are willing to wait or not.

Quick Reply: Why is the new CTR so slow?