Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why is the new CTR so slow?

Old 12-14-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted180sx
The dealers are asking 10k over but i'm sure you can get the mark up down to like 5k easily if you were a serious buyer. I do agree that MSRP is rare and there are still mark ups on it.

yup. Majority of the hate on this car is due to its subjective looks and the ridiculous mark ups that the dealer put on the car, and not necessarily the way it drives.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder right
Poor suckers those who paid that mark up...And if Honda dealers keep it up, what will end up happening, just like other special edition cars the dealers try to hold mark ups on, they'll sit on lots until they have to take a bath on them dropping the value for everyone.

Exactly the reason why I waited on both, and why I'll wait on the GT500 if I decide to trade my GT350 in for it. I paid less than MSRP on my RS and what could be more than 15K lower than my 350 was going for when it hit the lots new...Especially mine since it's number 0032, and was one of the first '16s on the street. I imagine whoever bought mine before me probably got greased pretty good lol....
Old 12-14-2017, 01:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
You make some really good points here. A used (60 miles!) CTR popped up here locally in Vancouver for $49,999. MSRP is $45K but you can't sell over MSRP in Canada so they instead gouge you on a "used" one.

However, I can buy a BRAND NEW Camaro SS 1LE for $48,900 (locally) that will be faster around a track, faster on the street, should be just as reliable, has 455 hp, sounds better, looks better, RWD, etc, etc.... Why would I even think of a CTR, if I'm buying new (at $45K) or used (for even more money)? It doesn't even make sense, from a performance standpoint. To be fair, I'll be able to wind out the CTR a lot more on public roads, which is "more fun" in a sense, but other than that, it pales in comparison to the SS 1LE.

Your pricing in the USA makes a little more sense but still.... I haven't driven a CTR and maybe it is significantly more agile/lithe/athletic compared to a 1LE but I'm betting I'd love the V8 sound, RWD dynamics and relative simplicity of the Camaro overall.
You can buy the 2018 CTR for $42K MSRP in Vancouver FYI. Google "Jonker Honda"

A $45K MSRP probably includes all the garbage door moldings, mats, stealership options etc
Old 12-14-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Hakkaboy
You can buy the 2018 CTR for $42K MSRP in Vancouver FYI. Google "Jonker Honda"

A $45K MSRP probably includes all the garbage door moldings, mats, stealership options etc
I drive by there every day but I haven't seen a Type R actually on-site. I'm not interested in one, either way, so it ultimately doesn't matter.

You're right about the extra options, though. That's how they charge "over MSRP" - they add options and accessories and "plans" and price them well above what you'd normally pay. That's the grey area of the rules,
Old 12-14-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
You make some really good points here. A used (60 miles!) CTR popped up here locally in Vancouver for $49,999. MSRP is $45K but you can't sell over MSRP in Canada so they instead gouge you on a "used" one.

However, I can buy a BRAND NEW Camaro SS 1LE for $48,900 (locally) that will be faster around a track, faster on the street, should be just as reliable, has 455 hp, sounds better, looks better, RWD, etc, etc.... Why would I even think of a CTR, if I'm buying new (at $45K) or used (for even more money)? It doesn't even make sense, from a performance standpoint. To be fair, I'll be able to wind out the CTR a lot more on public roads, which is "more fun" in a sense, but other than that, it pales in comparison to the SS 1LE.

Your pricing in the USA makes a little more sense but still.... I haven't driven a CTR and maybe it is significantly more agile/lithe/athletic compared to a 1LE but I'm betting I'd love the V8 sound, RWD dynamics and relative simplicity of the Camaro overall.
Dude, this is going to be weird, but I think this is twice now this year that you and I are on the same page. I don't think I can deal with all this agreement.

It's funny because I'm actually shopping SS 1LEs right now, I test drove one and the car is pretty special, although the weight and visibility still makes me weary, but the car feels special. Btw, getting 3-5k off of msrp isn't uncommon.
The following users liked this post:
JonBoy (12-14-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

it's not JonBoy. Someone hacked into his account.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:45 AM

I'm a sucker for a performance bargain and right now, the Mustang and Camaro are punching way above their class.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, if performance bargain is your thing, I don't think you can beat the Camaro.
I'm pretty fond of the way it looks too.

haven't looked at the prices on them but if you can get it for like 40k, that sounds like a huge bargain.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

You can get the 1le for 40k.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by boosted180sx
Yeah, if performance bargain is your thing, I don't think you can beat the Camaro.
I'm pretty fond of the way it looks too.

haven't looked at the prices on them but if you can get it for like 40k, that sounds like a huge bargain.
I love the way the Camaro looks, in general, especially the 1LE with the much nicer wheels and big brakes. I like the Mustang as well but they're more common right now (and my boss has one), so I don't know if I'd get one for a while.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Total off-topic aside, but our '16 Camaro SS has been AWESOME. Almost 30k miles so far and I still really enjoy driving it. Smooth and comfy, but still handles great and hauls a**. Sounds awesome too. I bet the 1LE is even more fun.

Quick Reply: Why is the new CTR so slow?