Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why is the new CTR so slow?

Old 12-11-2017, 09:37 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

40 lbs difference making a couple car lengths change? No way. Just watch them - the one driver is obviously quicker with his shifting.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My friend and I share a EK hatch with a B20VTEC and a gutter interior. Dyno'ed at 206hp at the hub, and on the scale it's about 2200lb. It's mainly for track days. It feels quite quick and responsive. At our local track, it's marginally slower than my FK8.

Here's him in the EK chasing me in the FK8 CTR.The EK has Ventus RS3 tires and the FK8 has stock tires:

On another note, after winning the treble at BBC Top Gear in the UK, the CTR won yet another comparison test and got crowed the Best Performance Car for under AUD$60k by Drive.com Australia:
https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-rev...00-116385.html
Old 12-12-2017, 06:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
I personally strongly dislike it b/c it's the heaviest Civic available (that's not what a Type R is about) and because (to me) it's ugly as hell, and even if some people do like the appearance, you're fooling yourself that it won't look dated as hell in 5 years, especially after the black plastic trim has started to fade.

I was a fan of the FoRS until I drove one. Hated the driving position. Maybe if I had more time I could get the seats and steering wheel just right, but I doubt it. As far as interior design and quality, the Civic Type R is actually my favorite in the segment lol. But never in my life would I buy something that ugly. It could hit 60 in 2 seconds and run a 10 second quarter mile. Do not care.
Not picking on Wolf but I still don't see any being able to provide a valid season for why CTR is a bad car. In fact, it might just be the best performance car under $35k USD that is out currently.
The following users liked this post:
FearlessFife (12-13-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't seen one for sale anywhere near that price...Most dealers still want 10k over.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:53 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by ishtori5
I still don't see any being able to provide a valid season for why CTR is a bad car.

On paper and from behind the wheel, the Civic Type R probably a great car and a great value. I want to like it, I really do. But my eyes work.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
On paper and from behind the wheel, the Civic Type R probably a great car and a great value. I want to like it, I really do. But my eyes work.
Exactly. I fully admit it's a great car. But no. Just noooooooooooooooooooo.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GT350RS
I haven't seen one for sale anywhere near that price...Most dealers still want 10k over.
The dealers are asking 10k over but i'm sure you can get the mark up down to like 5k easily if you were a serious buyer. I do agree that MSRP is rare and there are still mark ups on it.

Originally Posted by vader1
yup. Majority of the hate on this car is due to its subjective looks and the ridiculous mark ups that the dealer put on the car, and not necessarily the way it drives.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder right
Old 12-14-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

I think alot of it is that, but also the timing of this thing. Remember when EVOs and STIs were giant slayers? Most of what I'm going to say is based on straight line numbers, but bear with me. Their numbers at the time were ridiculous, and in reality still impressive today. No one liked the fact that it was based on a cheap econo box with a huge wing, but you forgave those because they were legit giant killers, especially when you started modding them, and still are. But that was when the V8 pony cars were going to 60 in the 5s still and 13 second quartermile times were still really fast, those cars didn't really handle great, and the likes of Porsches and BMWs weren't that much faster. All 911s now do not need any apologies, they are all fast period. Base v8 pony cars now run in the sub 13s and can actually handle. So now you bring another factory tuned up car, with crazy boy racer stuff all over it, but it really isn't much faster than the giant killers that came before it, trying to play in today's market against legit competition, that's why it's been received the way it has. There will always be a lot of people who will only buy Japanese, or imports, especially Honda types, so they can show up to tuner meets and be the king of the castle, ain't nothing wrong with that and that's alot of the fun of our hobby. But outside of that crowd it will have difficultly with finding enthusiasts.
And then it's a FWD. Yes, apparently in the stock setup, this CTR seems to do wonders, but I can't remember a single EVO/STI/WRX/etc owner almost ever that bought these cars and didn't factor in the modding potential of those cars, and when you start increasing power, you will want awd or rwd. These cars are underdog cars that the average man can buy to go to the track, show up at a stop light, and take on those bougie high dollar cars. And that's where alot of the notoriety comes from.
Cool cars, but it does nothing for me. It's not light for a fwd car (3000lbs), not astonishing quick for its price especially when you consider markup, it is practical, and I don't like the way it looks or sounds, and I sure as hell don't like the way I look in one. yeah yeah I don't care what others think, blah blah, I see you guys saying that then going back to your pristine cars, I don't see any of you guys driving beat up, rusted out whatevers because driver brah. I'd love an Si for a DD though, just wish that one came in a hatch.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:44 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

The numbers it puts up and the fact it is front wheel drive don't bother me at all personally. I bet this a blast of a daily driver that has some serious utility with the big hatchback. In a better looking package I would be very interested as a daily. But every time I look at that wing and rear end, I just can't do it.

I am not a huge Type R follower but came across one of the earlier generations rolling down the street in Switzerland and thought that one was really cool looking.

I think it looked more like this thing. Still had a wing, but toned way down compared to current. I do have to say the current Civic has grown on me a little bit. Maybe I will get there eventually.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I think alot of it is that, but also the timing of this thing. Remember when EVOs and STIs were giant slayers? Most of what I'm going to say is based on straight line numbers, but bear with me. Their numbers at the time were ridiculous, and in reality still impressive today. No one liked the fact that it was based on a cheap econo box with a huge wing, but you forgave those because they were legit giant killers, especially when you started modding them, and still are. But that was when the V8 pony cars were going to 60 in the 5s still and 13 second quartermile times were still really fast, those cars didn't really handle great, and the likes of Porsches and BMWs weren't that much faster. All 911s now do not need any apologies, they are all fast period. Base v8 pony cars now run in the sub 13s and can actually handle. So now you bring another factory tuned up car, with crazy boy racer stuff all over it, but it really isn't much faster than the giant killers that came before it, trying to play in today's market against legit competition, that's why it's been received the way it has. There will always be a lot of people who will only buy Japanese, or imports, especially Honda types, so they can show up to tuner meets and be the king of the castle, ain't nothing wrong with that and that's alot of the fun of our hobby. But outside of that crowd it will have difficultly with finding enthusiasts.
And then it's a FWD. Yes, apparently in the stock setup, this CTR seems to do wonders, but I can't remember a single EVO/STI/WRX/etc owner almost ever that bought these cars and didn't factor in the modding potential of those cars, and when you start increasing power, you will want awd or rwd. These cars are underdog cars that the average man can buy to go to the track, show up at a stop light, and take on those bougie high dollar cars. And that's where alot of the notoriety comes from.
Cool cars, but it does nothing for me. It's not light for a fwd car (3000lbs), not astonishing quick for its price especially when you consider markup, it is practical, and I don't like the way it looks or sounds, and I sure as hell don't like the way I look in one. yeah yeah I don't care what others think, blah blah, I see you guys saying that then going back to your pristine cars, I don't see any of you guys driving beat up, rusted out whatevers because driver brah. I'd love an Si for a DD though, just wish that one came in a hatch.
You make some really good points here. A used (60 miles!) CTR popped up here locally in Vancouver for $49,999. MSRP is $45K but you can't sell over MSRP in Canada so they instead gouge you on a "used" one.

However, I can buy a BRAND NEW Camaro SS 1LE for $48,900 (locally) that will be faster around a track, faster on the street, should be just as reliable, has 455 hp, sounds better, looks better, RWD, etc, etc.... Why would I even think of a CTR, if I'm buying new (at $45K) or used (for even more money)? It doesn't even make sense, from a performance standpoint. To be fair, I'll be able to wind out the CTR a lot more on public roads, which is "more fun" in a sense, but other than that, it pales in comparison to the SS 1LE.

Your pricing in the USA makes a little more sense but still.... I haven't driven a CTR and maybe it is significantly more agile/lithe/athletic compared to a 1LE but I'm betting I'd love the V8 sound, RWD dynamics and relative simplicity of the Camaro overall.

Quick Reply: Why is the new CTR so slow?