Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why does steering wheel vibrate?

Old 01-24-2005, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does steering wheel vibrate?

During today's commute to work, I noticed that when I exceed 55-60mph, I am feeling a vibration on the steering wheel.

What could be the potential cause for this? A wheel alignment or a problem with axle or something else?

Any insight is most appreciated..

thanks..
Old 01-24-2005, 05:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your wheels probably need to be balanced.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:00 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Definitely a balance issue. The fact that the vibration isn't there until a certain speed points right at an imbalanced wheel(s). Mine was vibrating from 62-80 mph and it was a balance issue (despite them being balanced just last year).

Cheap fix!
Old 01-24-2005, 06:12 AM

Could be ice on the wheels causing your wheels to be unbalanced. A few people over on AcuraZine had the same problem ... You're in VA, so I'm assuming you got snow over the weekend. Try seeing if there's any snow or ice inside your rims. If there is try and clean it out or wait for it to melt and see if the vibration goes away.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:15 AM

How do we balance the wheels then? I checked all these little attached weights are still there on the wheels...

I also remember that I lightly curbed the other day by sliding when parking on ice. Could that cause that unbalance too?

What takes to fix?
Old 01-24-2005, 06:17 AM

Liqice;

thanks.. I'll check inside my rims immediately..
Old 01-24-2005, 07:43 AM

In addition to balance it could be a mildly bent rim or a flat spotted tire. I've had both cause wheel vibrations. Both can be checked for free with a bit of effort.

To check for a flat spotted tire feel the whole tread surface with your hands. You should be able to feel any flat areas or areas where the tread is not symmetric as you rotate the tire.

To check for a bent rim you need to jack the car up and create a pointer. The pointer can just be a bent up coat hanger or pencil on a stack of books. Line the tip up with the bead of the wheel. Rotate the wheel and see if the bead moves relative to the pointer. Check both the inside and outside of the rim. I had a used SAAB with two mildly bent rims. I was able to have both fixed for $200.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:17 AM

Well if your driving a yugo it may be because your going too fast. I was always told that when the car starts to "shimmy" (noted by steering wheel movement) your car is at its maximum safe speed (actually above it). But I am guessing your not driving a car thats maximum safe speed is at 55 mph.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by emre,Jan 24 2005, 08:15 AM
I also remember that I lightly curbed the other day by sliding when parking on ice. Could that cause that unbalance too?
I'd go with this one. To prove it to yourself, if possible, switch it with a rear wheel/tire and see if the vibration goes away. Putting a known good wheel on the bad one up front will minimize or eliminate the vibration felt.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LiQiCE,Jan 24 2005, 11:12 AM
Could be ice on the wheels causing your wheels to be unbalanced.
happened to me on saturday.

my passenger front had snow build-up from driving in a blizzard.

rinsed it with hot water and vibration went away next time i took the car out.

Quick Reply: Why does steering wheel vibrate?