Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why does my '93 Prelude VTEC burn oil?

Old 11-21-2002, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by FYRHWK1
Check your PCV valve and hose just in case, but it's likely to be rings. ...but if its a small amount you could just toss a quart in every once in a while.
PCV valve and hoses checked and okay.
No head gasket problems. Coolant all fine. No oil in coolant, no coolant in oil, no drips on the driveway. No low coolant or high coolant.
200 is nominal and I've got 135 to 150!!! I bet the compression check was screwy, because the engine does great. I've got no problems with acceleration, no problems cruising at 90 mph plus and still having "go," and no problems towing my 600 lb 4 wheeler up into the mountains. If it weren't for the appearance of the dipstick after highway trips, I'd never guess I had an issue.

I think the service writer told me 150 was normal and 135 was still in spec. Also, they didn't really seem interested in doing the compression check. I had to ask for it, even though it was in for "elective" service, to have the ring freeing gunk sit in the cylinders overnight to see if that would help. I have a bit of oily residue at the exhaust pipes, but not that you'd notice without looking. No blue smoke either. Just less oil in the crankcase after a 300 mile run at 90 mph.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess you have one of those engines that just eats a little more oil. Other poeple have this problem and some don't. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

When you check the oil dipstick make sure the car sits for at leat a couple of hours on a leveld ground, you probalby know this already. This is the only way you will get correct reading. Same goes when you top it off and then recheck. I don't know what else to say.
Old 11-23-2002, 07:14 AM

Barry -

Too bad you aren't in a warmer climate. I have had excellent results over the years switching to 20W50 oil when cars start burning oil.

An old friend of mine, Owen Stone, moved to Sheridan a few years ago along with other members of his family. If you know him say Hi for me.

Jim
Old 11-23-2002, 07:32 AM

Yep, I've met Owen and Charee and their three kids.
I thought about that too.
I guess I'm more distrubed about the compression being 135-150 when it should be 200 than I am about the oil consumption. If I felt the engine was in good shape, I'd love to keep this car anothr five years or so. If the engine is "going," I'd consider trading this spring for a V6 6 speed Accord.

Financially, I'm probably best off driving it and enjoying it and if the engine goes kaput, buying a new car then. I've put a couple thousand into the car this year in fixing some minor body damage and in replacing the timing belt and other pretty routine maintenance.

Maybe I'll dig out my old compression gauge from the basement and check the compression myself.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:32 PM

Barry -

My friend is Owen Sr. You must have met Owen Jr.

I never checked the compression on any of my cars so can't comment about that. I never have had an Acura or Honda that burned oil other than the S during break in.

I would think you might be getting a little paranoid about Honda engines with the recent problems you have had.

Jim
Old 11-23-2002, 03:58 PM

H22A.

I dunno. Maybe get a used Prelude SH. Those are pretty sexy.
Old 12-25-2002, 04:47 AM

Here's some more information. I talked with the service writer yesterday. He said that they DO NOT ADD OIL to the combustion chamber when they run compression tests at Valley Motor Honda. He said I would get different (higher compression) results if they did do that.

So what does 135, 150, 135, 150 mean in an H22A1 when measured by just pulling the plug and sticking a compression checker in the opening.

The engine runs very well. The car has all the "pep" I could imagine. The oil consumption on the highway must mean something.

I've been shopping. I've test driven an Accord V6, a Pilot EX-L, and I've looked closely at the Element and the CR-V. For now, I drive the Prelude every day. I figure the worst possible scenario is that the engine blows, but that is unlikely. Given that the car's wholesale value is so low ($6K to $7K), I don't have much to lose even if the engine does blow.
Old 12-25-2002, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the 4th Gen SRV in your year range had a problem with oil consumption. I can't remember the part(s) that is responsible but there was a recall sent out to owners. Did you buy it used? Go check for TSBs on the 4Gen Prelude or ask some of the guys on preludeonline.com or just do a search on there for 4th Gen problems and you'll find it.
Old 12-25-2002, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by FormerH22a4
Some of the 4th Gen SRV in your year range had a problem with oil consumption. I can't remember the part(s) that is responsible but there was a recall sent out to owners.
I bought mine brand new in October, 1992 with essentially zero miles. It has always been serviced at Valley Motor Honda, where I bought it. But I will check for the recall/TSB. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:41 PM

i haven't read this whole post, but those compression numbers are very low. i would certainly suspect rings. get your own compression tester, be sure to do it with the engine warm, fuel pump fuse pulled, all spark plugs out, and the throttle stuck wide open. if you still get low numbers, dump a small quantity of oil into the cylinders one at a time and do the test again. if the values go way up with the "wet" test, it's rings for sure.

Quick Reply: Why does my '93 Prelude VTEC burn oil?