Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why do people buy SAABs?

Old 04-17-2007, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subaru Engine
Saab Body
Free service/maintenance
100,000 mile warranty

Where else can you buy a new car that comes free service for under$30K?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Apr 17 2007, 05:10 PM
It's a cult. If you aren't in the cult it makes no sense. I fortunately have not been indoctrinated. Volvo has one too.
Nah... Volvo's getting more mainstream, just like Scoobaru. But I don't see SAAB moving more mainstream.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:12 PM

dude, there are a lot of cars (not necessarily brands or SAAB for that matter) that I wonder about. Who buys those things? I have a not-that-serious theory that says people buy them to punish themselves in an attempt to erase inner guilt about something. ha

Seriously though, how else do you explain the Pontiac Aztec?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slamnasty,Apr 17 2007, 12:37 PM
I think they need something that will drive sales up, because Saab's numbers compared to their competitors and GM's other divisions is beyond puny. They are bordering on irrelevant right now, and they need an infusion of innovation to kick things back into gear.
ironically, making SAABS more popular will take away one of its main appeal to the traditional SAAB enthusiasts, possibly turning them elsewhere.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,Apr 17 2007, 10:56 AM
I'm trying to find the reasoning behind SAAB purchases. Is it just because they're quirky? Is it because they look good/unique?

Again... nothing against SAABs. I actually like some of them... but I can't think of enough reasons to buy one.
we've already given you some of the main reasons for people choosing to buy SAABS. mainly, it's because they are rare, uniquely designed, quirky, and "fun" to drive. overall, SAABS have a very unique, intriguing, and addictive personality behind the wheels that virtually no other cars in the market offers. like the commercial says, unless and until you've test driven a SAAB, you will not understand what the appeal is all about. will a test drive entice you to go buy a SAAB yourself?? not necessarily. but it will definitely make you better understand what the car is all about.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:12 PM

I have driven quite a few Saabs and they in fact are a hoot to drive. Also they are great in the snow. In the snow they are unstoppable (possibly better than a Subaru). They start when it gets really cold and are engineered to last for a long time(12 years). I believe that most cars are engineered to last 6 years.

Many are driven by university professors......Profs love 'em.

-Lee
Old 04-17-2007, 09:13 PM

My dad's best friend taught me to drive on his SAAB back in 1970. It was very smooth in an exciting kind of way. Both the friend and my Dad were total SAAB people They bought many old SAABs, because parts were sometimes hard to get. When my dad died, he had 7 SAABs parked in his backyard, 4 for parts and 3 project cars in partial stages of completion.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:50 AM

just wait till' they bring the Aero X alive!! **cross fingers** it'll be a total different story
Old 04-18-2007, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie,Apr 17 2007, 05:36 PM
we've already given you some of the main reasons for people choosing to buy SAABS. mainly, it's because they are rare, uniquely designed, quirky, and "fun" to drive. overall, SAABS have a very unique, intriguing, and addictive personality behind the wheels that virtually no other cars in the market offers. like the commercial says, unless and until you've test driven a SAAB, you will not understand what the appeal is all about. will a test drive entice you to go buy a SAAB yourself?? not necessarily. but it will definitely make you better understand what the car is all about.
Thankyou! Don't knock it till you've driven a Saab - they have so much character and personality.

Oh, and "Hoonda" hit the nail right on the head with the passing power of Saabs. Topgear once did a test of the 40-70mph passing power of a Saab 9-5 and it was faster than a freakin 996 Porsche 911 Turbo! Speaking from personal experience, Saabs have INSANE passing power in the midrange.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by vishnus11,Apr 18 2007, 07:54 AM
Thankyou! Don't knock it till you've driven a Saab - they have so much character and personality.

Oh, and "Hoonda" hit the nail right on the head with the passing power of Saabs. Topgear once did a test of the 40-70mph passing power of a Saab 9-5 and it was faster than a freakin 996 Porsche 911 Turbo! Speaking from personal experience, Saabs have INSANE passing power in the midrange.
Those old 9000 turbos were great!
-Lee

Quick Reply: Why do people buy SAABs?