Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why do people buy SAABs?

Old 04-17-2007, 11:15 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

FWD in anything making over 200 hp just doesn't work for me. GM should have utilized Subaru's awd better when it had both brands under its wing, or at least start making rwd Saabs now.

Saabs look good, but they don't drive that great, thanks to fwd and torque steer. Same goes for fwd Audis - too much money for fwd, and quattro is a premium over that - probably one reason why Audi sales always lag behind BMW and MB. There are just better options to Saab out there imo, like a Subaru Legacy GT - still quirky, but awd and more powerful = better driving experience for me. The 9.2X was great as it had the Saab styling but awd and better appointments.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As chance would have it, a friend of mine just bought a 9-5 wagon. Her requirements were:

- Mid-size wagon
- High level of service (ie. luxury brand)
- Fun to drive

That meant basically BMW 5 wagon, Merc E wagon, Audi A6 wagon, or Saab 9-5 wagon. In the end, she thought the Saab was more space efficient than the others, and offered "good" driving experience and "good" luxury (if not as good as the others) at a much lower price... like $35k as opposed to $60k. And at least the local Dallas Saab dealer gives you luxury-level service -- free loaners etc. -- dunno if that's true everywhere. I couldn't really argue.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned to drive on a SAAB. It was pretty big hunk of crap. So much so that my dad bought me different car before I actually got my license, not wanting me to get stuck on the side of the road by myself when it died (which it liked to do quite often).

My family owned a few SAABs around that time. I believe my step-mom was impressed at the time by the crash safety of the cars. Unfortunately, they all broke down a lot. We no longer buy SAABs.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:37 PM

People that buy Saabs want to be different and could care less about track times or acceleration numbers. They want something that few others buy. Saabs, for their GM-infused modernity, are still pretty damn quirky compared to just about anything else for sale. I personally think the kind of buyer Saab gets is very uninterested in getting noticed everywere. Tenured professors, some granola types, and people who have a very specific interpretation of sophistication buy these cars.

Personally, I have always thought Saabs have looked good, and the current ones border on great IMO. Many of them have looked strange, but nothing terribly goofy. I especially like the current SportCombi wagons they have, and I think Saab's design theme is one of the strongest, if not THE strongest, in GM's stable. Anyone see the 9-4 spyshots? It's damn aggressive for a Saab; I like it a lot.

Where Saab's history is concerned, I do think the "Born from Jets" tagline sounds pretty dumb...but it's better than the nothing they have been working with for years now. I think they need something that will drive sales up, because Saab's numbers compared to their competitors and GM's other divisions is beyond puny. They are bordering on irrelevant right now, and they need an infusion of innovation to kick things back into gear. The 9-2X and 9-7 however, are not how that gets done.

Maybe Saab needs to start competing in something to garner some media buzz. What that would be who knows. But they could use Madison Avenue right now.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:38 PM

Because 35 years ago SAAB was one of only a couple of automakers that offered FWD. SAAB also had an unusual 3 cylinder engine. And as mentioed before they were built like tanks.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:52 PM

I used to drive a Saab, an '89 900S. It was a great car - very reliable, fun to drive, comfy, indestructible. My sister was in an accident with a minivan, and the minivan was barely driveable but the Saab didn't even have a scratch on it. It was a great DD, was stylish, and great in snow. I don't know what GM has done for the brand, but owning that car was a pleasure.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didn't read the thread replies, but i get the OP. its amazing that saab stays alive.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:28 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche951,Apr 17 2007, 04:38 PM
Because 35 years ago SAAB was one of only a couple of automakers that offered FWD. SAAB also had an unusual 3 cylinder engine. And as mentioed before they were built like tanks.
Hmm, a three-cylinder tank... somehow, its not selling itself to me...
Old 04-17-2007, 02:00 PM

SAAB? I always found the interiors too spartan back when. If I wanted spartan I'd pick Porsche. Might be different these days but it does make you wonder how they survived in America without doing the Alfa or Renault fade-out.

I knew a couple of Saab owners back then. Snobs, both of them.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:10 PM

It's a cult. If you aren't in the cult it makes no sense. I fortunately have not been indoctrinated. Volvo has one too.

Quick Reply: Why do people buy SAABs?