Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why do people buy SAABs?

Old 04-17-2007, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vishnus11,Apr 17 2007, 06:34 AM
The new Saab 9-3 is one of the SAFEST vehicles on the market today, especially so when it was released.

Saab pays a great deal of attention to safety via a number of factors. As I'm sure many know, Saabs have their ignition slots located on the lower console - this is done for safety reasons so that in a frontal impact, the key isn't imbedded in your knee. Similarly, Saabs have a nighttime lighting system that blacks out all the cockpit lighting
save for the speedo, to reduce eye strain at night.

As far as passive safety is concerned, Saab often does analysis of REAL world crash data. There was once an article published about how Saab engineers often go onsite to crashes involving Saabs and see how the vehicles hold up, so that the data can be used to improve future vehicles.

As is the case with MANY great vehicles, Saabs don't look fantastic on paper. But in reality, they are interesting, quirky cars with a lot of positive attributes that are a hoot to drive. I've personally put close to 5000 miles behind a brand new 03 9-3 CV with Sport Package, and it was undoubtedly one of the "coolest" cars I've travelled in, not to mention that the quality of the leather used in the inteior was hands down the best I've ever seen.

Oh, and just for the record, although Saabs might not be popular in the United States, they are very popular in Europe - at one time, the Saab 9-3 was the best selling convertible in England.
although all those facts may be true, not many people are aware of that and so those are not the actual reasons people choose to buy SAABS.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe Saab cars as a whole are safer than volvo vehicles per crash ratings etc.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:47 AM

HAHA, I work right behind a SAAB dealership. Never in all my time working with dealerships have I ever seen so many cars come in pretty much DAILY on flat beds then I have working by SAAB.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie,Apr 17 2007, 09:43 AM
although all those facts may be true, not many people are aware of that and so those are not the actual reasons people choose to buy SAABS.
yea, i think it comes down to being different and wanting something you dont usually see... and when those people who want to be different start looking into Saab's, they see that the cars are pretty solidly built and safe... like Volvo, and has the European feel to them, especially the interiors...
Old 04-17-2007, 07:10 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I think people buy Saabs to be different more than anything, and see Saabs as premium cars. I certainly don't think Saabs stand out in any area other than being quirky and iconoclastic. The last Saab I was in had a really punchy turbo but horrible, horrible turbo lag, plus it was fwd - def not a car I'd buy.

As for the night vision eye strain thing, doesn't red lighting prevent eye strain at night when reading instruments? If so, look for that in your car's interior lighting. BMW is very good at lighting vehicle interiors with red light so you can see everything yet still see out the windshield, but once one set of headlights hits your eyes, your night vision is debilitated for at least 10 minutes, so interior lighting isn't that important.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:28 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie,Apr 16 2007, 11:03 PM
but for the most part, people who buy SAABs buy them because they want to differentiate from the norm.
The one person I know that bought one did so for that reason.

They wanted something "different" even though it was a rebadged Subaru.

I guess that's one way of achieving that goal.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:31 AM

duhhhh people buy them because their "BORN FROM JETS"
Old 04-17-2007, 08:53 AM

Yeah, the only distinguishing feature I could think of offhand was that they're quirky.

But how many cars can "quirky" sell?

I think some of them look good, but it's a unique good look, certainly NOT classic beauty.

As for the safety issue, I agree with the poster who said public perception is probably NOT one of SAAB's safety record.

Good posts. Keep 'em coming.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:53 AM

I've always liked the way 9-3s looked but was very surprised when i found out they're FWD.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:17 AM

Oh my gawd, i ask myself the EXACT same question when i see saabs driving around. I'm so surprised GM didnt kill that along with Plylmouth and Oldsmobile.

Quick Reply: Why do people buy SAABs?