Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why do people buy SAABs?

Old 04-16-2007, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do people buy SAABs?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against SAAB, but I've always wondered what the allure is. I mean, I feel like other brands can rest their laurels on a major selling point. For example:

Volvo = Safety
BMW = Driving experience
Lexus = Luxury
Honda = Reliability
Toyota = Fuel economy

Etc. etc. etc.

So... that being said.. what's up with SAAB? What is their selling point? Why would someone buy a SAAB over another car? They're not incredibly luxurious. They're not prestigious. They don't have a great driving experience. I haven't heard anything good about their reliability. They're certainly not cheap either.

So.... Why do people buy SAABs?

Old 04-16-2007, 10:50 PM

People buy Saabs?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

because they are different and have a very unique design and driving feel. SAABS, at least last generation ones, are notorious for mushy shifters, massive turbo lags, and monstrous torque steer. although, those attribute normally means a horrible car, but those exact attributes are what makes SAABs such a hoot to drive. but for the most part, people who buy SAABs buy them because they want to differentiate from the norm.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:04 PM

It is funny that you postg this because I have been thinking about buying a 9-2X. it doesnt really count because it is really a Subaru wagon.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by marrenr813,Apr 16 2007, 11:04 PM
It is funny that you postg this because I have been thinking about buying a 9-2X. it doesnt really count because it is really a Subaru wagon.
yeah, 9-2X don't count. you might as well just buy the subaru. it's not a true SAAB unless you have the ignition in the center console below the shifter. yes, yes, i know not all SAABS have that.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:04 AM

SAABS, at least last generation ones, are notorious for mushy shifters, massive turbo lags, and monstrous torque steer
Yes - but you forgot to mention that pre-GM Saabs also had good brakes and were built like tanks... my '86 Saab 900 Turbo could drive through a small building unscathed.

Even though my car exhibited all the characteristics mentioned above; I still liked the car a lot - Right up until the moment I killed it with 247K miles on the original engine and tranny.

It seems that behind every Saab owner there is a sob story... Here's mine. Back about 1995 I had just gotten out of the military and was heading home from Camp Pendleton, I was driving north on I-5 in SoCal (this part of I-5 is pretty straight and wide). It was a nice sunny day, sunroof was open, tunez were cranked, life was good. Suddenly, a good lookin' girl in a red 911 convertible passed me; naturally, I sped up to take a better look. I pulled up next to her, she smiled and then stepped on the gas... the chase was On. She let me catch her again, and then took off even faster, so of course I had to pursue the Poontang. After two or three more encounters during which our speed easily hit triple digits - I blew the engine. My dash looked like a Christmas tree with all warning lights lit up. I pulled over to the side road and let the car die with dignity. Even though I knew there was no way my tired old 4000+ pound Saab could keep up with a newer Porsche - it sure was fun trying. Oh yeah, as for the girl in the 911... she didn't even slow down, she just kept on goin'
Old 04-17-2007, 02:37 AM

People buy them to be different, and b/c they have character (which isn't necessarilty always a good thing). My uncle lives in Durango, and they're (or at least were) popular there b/c of good snow traction. He had a couple, and told me his mechanic said that Saab stood for "Sorry, atsa always broken".
Old 04-17-2007, 05:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

They look good
Old 04-17-2007, 06:18 AM

i dont "get" saab either. nto at all
Old 04-17-2007, 06:34 AM

The new Saab 9-3 is one of the SAFEST vehicles on the market today, especially so when it was released.

Saab pays a great deal of attention to safety via a number of factors. As I'm sure many know, Saabs have their ignition slots located on the lower console - this is done for safety reasons so that in a frontal impact, the key isn't imbedded in your knee. Similarly, Saabs have a nighttime lighting system that blacks out all the cockpit lighting
save for the speedo, to reduce eye strain at night.

As far as passive safety is concerned, Saab often does analysis of REAL world crash data. There was once an article published about how Saab engineers often go onsite to crashes involving Saabs and see how the vehicles hold up, so that the data can be used to improve future vehicles.

As is the case with MANY great vehicles, Saabs don't look fantastic on paper. But in reality, they are interesting, quirky cars with a lot of positive attributes that are a hoot to drive. I've personally put close to 5000 miles behind a brand new 03 9-3 CV with Sport Package, and it was undoubtedly one of the "coolest" cars I've travelled in, not to mention that the quality of the leather used in the inteior was hands down the best I've ever seen.

Oh, and just for the record, although Saabs might not be popular in the United States, they are very popular in Europe - at one time, the Saab 9-3 was the best selling convertible in England.

Quick Reply: Why do people buy SAABs?