Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why do Cadillac have such a poor resale?

Old 02-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stated my experience with Cadillac over a number of models and years, and it appears my experience is not worth counting, but someone else's comment concerning one model is accepted as reflective of the whole make, for every year, into the past and out to the future. That is why "internet experts" make me laugh.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by no_really' date='Feb 22 2005, 02:47 PM
http://www.allpar.com/cr.html for one example of a discussion of the problems with Consumer Reports ratings.
Interesting link, thanks.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:08 AM

i think there are 2 reasons for the crappy resale

1) The stigma of being American built (which mean that it 'must' be unreliable)
2) The average age of Caddy owners not too long ago was pretty damn high, and people of that age bracket can afford to buy a new car, so why would they want to settle on a used one??

One more thing too... We always want something that is not from around here, just as we LOVE all cars that are not American-made.

Believe it or not, but the Japanese can't get enough Corvettes, Escalades, Surburbans, Yukons, Caprices and other American "pos" vehicles. You should see how frantic they are about getting US-made upgrades (SLP, Edelbrok, svt, etc etc) for their American vehicles... It is as bad as our appetite for JDM parts for our cars over here.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by no_really,Feb 22 2005, 05:47 PM
http://www.allpar.com/cr.html for one example of a discussion of the problems with Consumer Reports ratings.

"CR does not draw their data from the general public, only from subscribers....They have to prove that their data represents the general public, and they haven't."
No survey is perfect. However, you also need to consider the source of the website........

"Allpar is a Web site owned by Allpar, LLC and set up for the benefit of Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, DeSoto, Eagle, and Jeep owners and enthusiasts. It is closely linked to valiant.org and ptcruizer.com. Probably most Allpar content has been contributed by a large variety of individuals, not written by the Webmaster. Quite a bit of older Plymouth history has been donated by the Plymouth Owners Club (although we're scanning or retyping it!)."

It is quite sad to see Dodge, Plymouth.......Jeep owners and enthusiasts to have a website to depute the legitimacy of consumer reports.

I wonder if Honda and Toyota owners would ever need to do something like that.

Old 02-25-2005, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by The Hoth,Feb 24 2005, 01:05 PM
It is quite sad to see Dodge, Plymouth.......Jeep owners and enthusiasts to have a website to depute the legitimacy of consumer reports.

I wonder if Honda and Toyota owners would ever need to do something like that.
Good point!

By not accepting advertising, Consumer Reports remains above any suspicion of favoritism to any particular make.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by no_really,Feb 21 2005, 05:44 PM
consumer reports readership is heavily biased against domestics, and frequently give the import branded vehicle built alongside the domestic brand higher marks, despite the fact that the vehicles are mechanically identical. Consumer Reports bases their ratings off reader surveys returned by subscribers. In my experience, the rag is not even good at lining a bird cage. Their "reliability" ratings are based on cost over time, not number of problems. Since a Cadillac costs more to repair than a Corolla, the Corolla could easily have more frequent breakdowns, yet still rate higher in CR "reliability."

Consumer Reports is the least reliable rating system out there. If it makes you happy to see they gave high marks to your car, good for you, but understand that it is a joke to many people.

According to a thread posted here not long ago, the average income of Cadillac owners is over $100,000/yr. Given that these people could buy any car they desired, why do you think they choose Cadillacs? Because they are dumb?
Hey we are on to you dude . Another GM executive trying to hype why Generic Motors stuff is better! Guess what your Engineering and Reliability have NEVER impressed me. Go pimp your wares at the Dollar Tree where it belongs!
Old 02-25-2005, 06:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Palmateer,Feb 25 2005, 07:02 AM
Good point!

By not accepting advertising, Consumer Reports remains above any suspicion of favoritism to any particular make.
did you even read the article??? Guess not. Your statement is one of the most ignorant I've read here in a while, but strangely, I have no doubt someone here is capable of topping it :/
Old 02-25-2005, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by no_really,Feb 25 2005, 10:21 AM
did you even read the article??? Guess not. Your statement is one of the most ignorant I've read here in a while, but strangely, I have no doubt someone here is capable of topping it :/
Relying on article published on website which obviously has bias in favor of domestic cars does not make you that much smarter. IMHO.