Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why am I paying an extra $.15/gal?

Old 06-01-2006, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why am I paying an extra $.15/gal?

Ethanol is the blend of choice now the the EPA has decided to quit poisoning the ground water with MTBEs. We are also being forced to use it in the DFW area. My sources indicate that we are paying about $.15 per gallon extra for the privilege. The numbers seem to bear this out.

Dallas gas price average (ethanol blend) = $2.80

Houston gas price average (ethanol blend) = $2.82

Corpus Christi gas price average (std gas) = $2.67

San Antonio gas price average (std gas) = $2.67

Corpus and Houston both have refineries on site, so the price should be pretty much the same except for the required ethanol blend in Houston.

Another issue with ethanol. They say that running 85% (E85) in a vehicle not designed for it will essentially ruin the fuel system, plus it will run like crud, while it runs. But 10% ethanol is fine. This may seem like over simplifying, but if putting your hand in 85% acid is really bad, it's hard for me to believe that putting your hand in 10% acid isn't going to do anything harmful, especially over a long period of time.

One more thing. My understanding is that gas prices would drop by something like $.30 per gallon tomorrow if we went back to the old two gasoline formulation structure (high/low altitude), even if we used the absolute cleanest formulation available. I guess I'm done now. Sorry for the long post.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:18 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

I was filling up the wife's IS300 at a Texaco gas station this morning and noticed on the pump was a label indicating 'MAY CONTAIN UP TO 10% ETHANOL." Paid $3.02 for premium....

Anyway, was wondering if having the ethanol would have any effect on IS300 performance both in acceleration and/or gas mileage!?!?

EDIT: Just re-read Slithr's post. So, it's possible that Ethanol can damage the fuel system in my wife's car? WTH?!!?!?
Old 06-01-2006, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn you guys have some cheap gases..
Old 06-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Ethanol at 10% will not damage your car, don't worry about it. All manufacturers have made their components resistant to the effects of a 10% blend for MANY years now. Your milage may suffer, but other performance should not suffer to any noticable degree. We have had 10% blend since the early 80's and the only problems were in carbuerated cars initially. I have never had a fuel system problem and cars up here are running as long as they do in Texas, ours are just more rusty.

Why do you have to have 10% blend and pay more for it? Politicians will do anything short of going down on every farmer for their vote.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Slithr,Jun 1 2006, 09:14 AM
. My sources indicate that we are paying about $.15 per gallon extra for the privilege.

Ethanol is more expensive in your area than where I live most likely because your state does not have any ethanol plants meaning it is either trucked or piped in and I don't think you guys grow much corn. It is actually made more cheaply and efficiently from sugar cane in other countries. Hawaii is setting up their first production facilities.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:35 AM

E85 will damage non E85 cars. So will diesel. Also, like diesel, E85 is not supposed to be used in non-E85 compatible cars. E85 is 85% Ethanol. What you are buying is more like 10% ethanol. Ethanol is used to raise the octane number in gasoline. If 10% Ethanol hurts your Lexus then Toyota was stupid because 10% has been around for a long time. Basically you are paying more to protect the environment.

As for the acid analogy, 100% hydrogen peroxide is very harmful (not an acid). Same is true of very concentrated hydrochloric acid. In lesser concentrations is doesn't harm you at all. H2O2 is used as a disinfectant and hydrochloric acid exists in our stomachs.
I think you are being overly worried.

I agree that it would be nice to use fewer formulations of gas.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:35 AM

double post.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Slithr,Jun 1 2006, 03:14 PM
Ethanol is the blend of choice now the the EPA has decided to quit poisoning the ground water with MTBEs. We are also being forced to use it in the DFW area. My sources indicate that we are paying about $.15 per gallon extra for the privilege. The numbers seem to bear this out.

Dallas gas price average (ethanol blend) = $2.80

Houston gas price average (ethanol blend) = $2.82

Corpus Christi gas price average (std gas) = $2.67

San Antonio gas price average (std gas) = $2.67

Corpus and Houston both have refineries on site, so the price should be pretty much the same except for the required ethanol blend in Houston.

Another issue with ethanol. They say that running 85% (E85) in a vehicle not designed for it will essentially ruin the fuel system, plus it will run like crud, while it runs. But 10% ethanol is fine. This may seem like over simplifying, but if putting your hand in 85% acid is really bad, it's hard for me to believe that putting your hand in 10% acid isn't going to do anything harmful, especially over a long period of time.

One more thing. My understanding is that gas prices would drop by something like $.30 per gallon tomorrow if we went back to the old two gasoline formulation structure (high/low altitude), even if we used the absolute cleanest formulation available. I guess I'm done now. Sorry for the long post.
Not very familar with Mustang specifications but just assuming they have a 15 gallon fuel tank, that extra $.15/gallon is costing you a whopping $2.25 extra per fill up. Assuming you fill up twice a week, we are talking $234/year.

No offense, but who really cares. I mean I know people like to complain about gas prices because it is the cool thing to do right now, but it is not going to change.

For America in general: Why is it that the public complains about $.10/gallon increases but then turns around and does something like buy a 60 inch jumbotron TV with their 25% interest credit cards and pay it out over months and months. Is it simply the media coverage that gas prices have been getting? Is it because Americans have been spoiled by years of cheap gas and feel it is a right to have cheap gas? I really cant figure it out.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:55 AM

I hate to turn this into a political discussion, but is it worth fifteen cents to you for fewer American soldiers to die in the Middle East?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:56 AM

Double post...

Quick Reply: Why am I paying an extra $.15/gal?