Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Who's driven an nsx?

Old 05-24-2011, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The NSX is a nice car. They aren't as slow as everyone says. I would say that they would be about as fast or almost as fast as an s2k with a basic SC bolt on kit or a greddy turbo. You get supercar performance. Just 90's supercar performance. The design appears to make the car perform better than the S at higher speeds as well. Although at lower speeds i believe the S to be more maneuverable.

You can defiantly tell the NSX and S are related. The interior of the NSX has the same feel, it is just outdated. The biggest down falls IMO are that the NSX doesn't have many aftermarket parts and the ones that are out there are very expensive. In addition simple maintenance items can be costly, even if you do it your self.

i think the S is more fun to drive but the NSX would probably be cooler to own.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:19 PM

I own a '94 with a Comptech built/ LoveFab boosted motor.

The S is the perfect autocrosser. The NSX is the perfect track car. They are as different as night and day.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people complain about power but that's a fairly simple yet expensive fix. My S isn't very fast in a straight line, IMO, but it shines when with all of its other attributes. Honda, I think, try to marry a perfect combination of power, handling, and stopping ability... even down to the cheaper cars like the civic and accord. Aside from economics people just genuinely love the way these cars drive/perform. I would like to see my car with about 30-40 more stock horses, but oh well.

The NSX was an amazing piece of engineering in its day and was developed with the help of the great Ayrton Senna. Who cares if it won't keep up with a M3 or Cobra... Neither car is as sleek or sexy looking as the NSX.

A few months ago I was driving to work and some ding dong in a suped up old Focus flys by and lets off so I can hear his BOV and tried to line me up... You know what... I popped the latches, let the tits our and cruised... something he will never be able to do... Also the dummy got pulled over... Get the NSX, keep the S if you can. Own 2 great cars!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:30 PM

I've driven a 91 and an 02. The shifter definitely feels even better than the S2000.
Not feeling the pedal placement though, all the pedals felt like they were shifted to the right.
Headroom was also an issue, especially in the targa. 6 foot and under for sure.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Friend owns one and debated a long time as to what he should get (came from an ITR)

From what he had found, and what I've gathered on my own, is that if you're looking you'll want to look for 97+ NSX's due to the 6 speed gear box. 97's prices are not too inflated (IMO) and can be found for 30's if you look around. I absolutely LOVED riding in his, which is moderately modified with NSX-R sways and a front brace and then lowered a little under an inch IIRC with Blistein shocks and stock springs. Looks gorgeous and you don't see many around here driving around. He also enjoys the fact he can take it to any Acura dealership if he needs service with it. He's had it for ~5 years now and hasn't regretted it.

I plan on purchasing one myself but probably am not going to sell the S2000 for a down payment. I plan on keeping her around
Old 05-24-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by AP2kyle
I've driven a 91 and an 02. The shifter definitely feels even better than the S2000.
Not feeling the pedal placement though, all the pedals felt like they were shifted to the right.
Headroom was also an issue, especially in the targa. 6 foot and under for sure.
I dont know for the targa but for the normal nsx me and my dad are both 6'3 and fit in the nsx fine. But with a helmet we had to put in different seats with less padding.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:15 PM

I've driven one and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The weight distribution is fantastic and the engineering is incredible. Many NSX owners over on prime own both an s2000 and NSX. While it may not be as powerful as cars you can get in the same price range today, it's still a great car. You do have to factor in maintenance because the major things are not cheap. But the engines are amazingly reliable for 20 years old. The main thing is just finding one that is well-maintained. Otherwise, you will end up dropping 5-7k easily for repairs. And many cars that are well-maintained usually need some maintenance as well. But there are plenty of NSXs running strong with over 200k miles. I believe there is one record of one hitting 400k on the original motor. So, they're reliable, but you just need to be able to afford it.

The elise is closer to the s2000 in the handling and is great for autox. You should test drive both. The NSX and S2000 drive differently to me. But the elise is a lot closer to the s2000 if that is what you are going for.

With that said, I plan on getting an NSX in the future.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by erikvanden
The NSX is a nice car. They aren't as slow as everyone says. I would say that they would be about as fast or almost as fast as an s2k with a basic SC bolt on kit or a greddy turbo. You get supercar performance. Just 90's supercar performance. The design appears to make the car perform better than the S at higher speeds as well. Although at lower speeds i believe the S to be more maneuverable.

You can defiantly tell the NSX and S are related. The interior of the NSX has the same feel, it is just outdated. The biggest down falls IMO are that the NSX doesn't have many aftermarket parts and the ones that are out there are very expensive. In addition simple maintenance items can be costly, even if you do it your self.

i think the S is more fun to drive but the NSX would probably be cooler to own.

The NSX's are about the same as a stock s2000 really. At least the older models. Newer ones were a little bit faster. A boosted S2000, even bolt, on would pull on it easily. Even a supercharged NSX is not that fast. Put down about 350whp.
Cars look sweet but not getting much performance compared to an S2000 for a much higher price tag and much older car.
If you were to get a 2000+ NSX I would say go for that but not if planning on getting one of the early 90's NSX's.

Having said that, I'd love to have a 2000's NSX with a supercharger some day!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Syn

I couldn't see myself spending the money it takes to buy an NSX. I would rather buy an S2000 and boost it (and I do plan on boosting mine) if I was after handling, or buy a C6 if I wanted more power. The only thing the NSX really has going for it is the exotic look/rarity.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:38 PM

i own 2 nsx's (na2 type R and a 2005 ) I also own a 2008 s2000 (my third s2000). the two cars are as different as night and day-- s2000 is a canyon carver / autocrosser and Nsx is more suited to longer drives or bigger tracks. the nsx is also more comfortable to drive, but i love the feel of the s2K top down.
I personally enjoy driving the s2k more as long as the top is down. (but to me the s2000 needs to be lowered and an amuse exhuast to have a little soul.). also the nsx needs also needs to be lowered and an arc or taitec gt lightweight exhaust to not sound like an accord.

if i had to chose one car it would be an s2000, but the nsx has much better quality throughout. S2000 is awesome, but feels like it was built to a budget (becuase it was) Nsx feels like it was build with no budget.

Quick Reply: Who's driven an nsx?