Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Who makes the best half-ton pickup when cost is factored in?

Old 04-29-2004, 08:13 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Who makes the best half-ton pickup when cost is factored in?

The Titan is new and overall very nice, but reliability is unknown and dealers aren't discounting them much.

The F-150 looks nice overall, but very heavy, not that great of gas mileage/acceleration even with the 3 valve 5.4L and dealers aren't discounting them as much as the old F-150's.

The Dodge Ram is nice, but the auto transmission is very suspect and overall build quality/reliability doesn't seem quite up to par. However, they are cheap to buy.

The Silverado/Sierra are good trucks overall, but they're starting to get long into their life cycle. Interior is a bit bland overall, especially compared to the Titan and new F-150. Dealers are discounting them heavily and they seem to get the best gas mileage overall between trucks. Reliability seems to be good overall.

Any personal experiences, etc?
Old 04-29-2004, 08:49 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got a 2002 Silverado LT Quadrasteer and have put just under 60,000 miles on it in less than two years. It's fully loaded 2wd 5.3L with 373 gears and averages 17mpg in daily driving without towing. On the highway at 85+ mph the mileage drops to the 15 range. It has been used extensively to tow a 20' enclosed racecar hauler loaded with a F2000 and spares. On back roads at 55 to 60 it gets 12 to 13 mpg, on the highway at 70+ it drops to 9.1 to 10.5. We also tow a 2 horse slantload gooseneck trailer and get 12 to 13 mpg towing loaded. Braking with the horse trailer loaded is scary at times. We are well within all weight limits but I would very much like stronger brakes when towing a heavy load.

Problem areas? The ring gear had a hum from new and was replaced under warranty. The replacement was not done correctly and was replaced again. Both times we were given $40,000 loaners to drive while the repairs were being done. No other issues what so ever. Never added oil between changes.

The seats all still look new and are very comfortable. The Quadrasteer option at $1995 is a no brainer. While it makes the truck wider than a standard truck and gives it something of a dually appearance it makes the truck very stable and VERY easy to drive and park.

The trucks are late in their life cycle and I like the looks of the Ford better. For my wife and me at least the GM seats are more comfortable.

If I was going to buy today the perfect truck would have the Ford F250 body, the Dodge Cummings Diesel, the GM seats, Allison Transmission (great), and Quadrasteer, and several of the Nissan Titan's options.

In the 1/2 ton playing field I would lean towards the GM again although I really like the F150 and the Titan. All three make nice full four door trucks and the room in the rear of the Titan gets the nod. For extended cabs the GM has the best seats and legroom. Even with real doors the Dodge loses out here.

The Dodge overall is the cheapest to buy but like you I don't trust the tranny or overall build quality.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:03 PM

Nice writeup, CG. No one else has personal experiences with half tons?
Old 04-29-2004, 01:30 PM
CG

[QUOTE]Originally posted by QUIKAG
Nice writeup, CG.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey how is the silverado "fully loaded" if it's 2wd? Wouldn't the fully loaded model be 4wd?

I'm pretty sure all 4 trucks don't get fantastic gas mileage......but compare to each other wouldn't the silverado get better mileage once DOD get implemented by summer?....same for the Dodge (using mercedes version)?

Also.....why would u buy a automatic 1/2 ton truck to tow and not a manual dodge ram?

yes....i'm very inquisitive..
Old 04-29-2004, 02:03 PM

I've got an '01 Silverado 4x4 long bed with 42,000 miles. It has been trouble free & I'd have no problem buying another one. I've got the small V8 (4.8L?) and a 5spd manual transmission. I get 20 or 21 miles per gallon on the highway in summer and about 15 mpg when it is below zero & I'm using the 4wd. I've heaped it full of wood & drove 75mph across the state.

It was $20K brand new, including 4x4, air & cruise, but no automatic (I don't drive automatics). It has been trouble-free enough that I'm likely to keep it 10 or so more years (unless someone comes up with a hybrid full size pickup for $25k or so that gets 25mpg).

--Mike
Old 04-29-2004, 02:29 PM

I just buoght a 04 F150 to replace my S2000, and have had great luck with it so far. Lariat 4x4 all option's with the 5.4. First and formeost if you are going to do a lot of city driving then the the F150 will be significantly more quiet then the other trucks, the interior is leaps above the chevy's in my opinion, but ford does restrict down the power on the 5.4, if you are willing to put some monet into the engine there are some nice gains for when you tow.

Speaking of towing, it pulls my 356 with spares very easily, and it great in the dirt. The 5.4 with 4X4 and LSD simply can't be beat for moderate off roading in a off the shelf truck. Then again I am not nearly at the end of the power limits for towing and have had no complaints about the brakes or lack of power, there was some missing steam when I was pulling a big yard box and fully loaded bed to go to the dump with some friends in the cabin but that was more then ilkely due to the muddy roads.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:39 PM
CG

[QUOTE]Originally posted by daabc
Hey how is the silverado "fully loaded" if it's 2wd?
Old 04-30-2004, 07:06 AM

FWIW, I already have an '04 Silverado 5.3L LT 2WD, fully loaded, but without the Quadrasteer. I love the truck, it has been averaging just over 16mpg with my heavy foot, and it's been a great truck so far. The engine pulls good, the ride is good (for a truck), and all the interior gadgets (Onstar, XM radio, heated leather seats, dual zone auto climate control, steering wheel controls, power everything) are fun to play with.

Oh, truck stickered right at $32,000, I bought it for right at $22,500 after all rebates, incentives, and GM card redemptions. Not bad IMO.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:35 AM

The type of truck you get can depend on a lot of the things stated already. But it can also depend on what you intend to do with the truck.

I've noticed that a lot of guys with Dodges like to have them more as image vehicles. This is partly true of GM truck guys too. When it comes to work trucks I most often see GM and Ford trucks...most often Ford.

Not to say that certain trucks are bad or that only certain people buy certain kinds of trucks, that's just what I've noticed.

I've seen VERY few Tundras being used for work, and I think on paper they're definitely weakest in that capacity. I have seen a few Titan work trucks already, and they seem to sell well with families, so the Titan is probably a really good happy medium. Not nearly as many upgrades/configurations as GM, Dodge or Ford, just one solid model, with very competitive power.

I have never owned a truck before, but if I had money in hand right now, I'd probably be swayed by a GMC or Chevy half-ton.

My 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best half-ton pickup when cost is factored in?