Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Who drifts their s2000?

Old 08-30-2015, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who drifts their s2000?

Just curious to see how many people like to drift there s2000. They are damn tricky but once I got the hang of it, they drift decent. Have to let the snap oversteer do its thing to transition alot. And I noticed the car likes to drift with ebrake. And what do you guys like to do to help it. My car is not set up for drift in any way, actually set up for grip. it is an 00' ap1. Heres a video from the event the other day. and there are some other street videos on the page.

https://youtu.be/gex8PiVM-v0
Old 08-30-2015, 08:57 PM

Closest I get to drifting is sliding the rear out in a wet parking lot. I also never understood that whole ebrake thing... Whenever I pull it, the rear tires never lock out. I'm not even sure if the rear brakes are strong enough to stop the tires.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:27 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

hola

https://www.youtube.com/user/amgmuscle/videos

Your doing better than 99% of the 240's I see, good shit!!!

I have a few tweaks. I have longer ebrake levers that go in the caliper that help the rear wheels lock up more. Its strong enough to lock my 195's going straight at 70mph on a concrete road.

You can get drift knuckles. They help out a ton, as well as add more overall steering angle. Only draw back is the car isnt snappy anymore, what I mean is it takes away the fear of street drifting. My first year I went through a 100 tires, no exaggeration. If your not already, buy your tires used on craigslist. I refuse to pay more than 10 a tire, also make friends with a tire guy. If I had to pay for mounting and balancing, I'd be broke.

Lastly you can also buy camber plates. they'll give your front end 10 degrees to 5 of neg front camber, but you'll need coilovers for that. My cars still on stock everything, ns about you.

Mostly what I do is remove my front swaybar, stick on some 195 rear width tires and pump them up to 50psi. That really settles the car out. I rarely use the ebrake anymore unless I've made a major cockup. PM me if your interested in buying any parts.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:47 AM

also with drift knuckles your steering inputs will be sooo much smoother.

this is me in the rain with knuckles
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPe5caP3WMo[/media]
and without
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuc7figmpIs[/media]
Old 08-31-2015, 02:53 AM

as for weak diffs. Mine has seen 100+ tires, 10+ drift events. countless street sessions. I have killed a second gear, and an axle. I know the diff is next, but I wouldnt worry about it. Just use crappier tires. Less abuse.

Also I run positive rear toe when I'm drifting. .2+ on each side.
And more camber up front vs the back.

I havent been drifting much this year, the police in my area cracked down hard. They crushed a few cars, so I've been grip driving. I'm getting back in to it now, PM me if you ever get stuck or need some advice. I might not have the answers, but I have some pretty cool friends that make me look like an amateur.

OH and maint!!! Change your oil frequently. Its 1 quart for the diff and 2 for the trans. Its 15 bucks from the dealer for the trans and another 10 for the diff. Do it every oilchange if you do an event. I change mine every 2K. Drifting is abusive.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:40 AM

Do the knuckles make the car drive different? I hate how little angle it has. But it grips so good. I dont want to sacrafice handling. and thanks for the feedback. i love when people say you cant drift these and get mad. its just very tricky.

and you use the factory tie rods for the knuckles or which extended? and who makes the knuckles?
Old 09-08-2015, 04:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

"There wolf, there castle." Young Frankenstein

On topic - whenever I drive mine in the rain or on very cold S-02s.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:41 PM

where can you buy drift knuckles for the s2k?
Old 09-28-2015, 01:43 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Not "my" S2000 (I don't own one), but I drift other peoples' cars:

The S2000 is not a great drift car due to its short wheelbase (and wheelbase to track width ratio) and low polar moment of inertia. So they are very 'twitchy' and hard to balance past the limit when compared to cars with long wheelbases and high polar moments of inertia.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:24 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Drift a car that was designed to take corners with maximum handling? 50/50 weight distribution, a suspension that is a gem, and you drift the S2000?

Brilliant.

Quick Reply: Who drifts their s2000?