Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Where did good Styling go?

Old 04-14-2006, 10:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Saint_Spinner,Apr 14 2006, 11:22 AM
lol. Its funny to see people discuss car design without ever experiencing it.
You don't need to experience, understand or even be in car design to know what you like or don't like. You actually think that even a significant number of car buyers actually care about "car design" when they put their money down and take a car home? It's the buying public's opinion on the design of the car that counts. Or would you like to restrict the purchase of automobiles until a person has taken a car design course?
Old 04-14-2006, 10:49 AM
mdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People don't know what it is they like or need until designers tell them what that it is. Just because styling is polarizing doesn't mean that it is necessarily bad or good. If it spurs a shift that the industry takes then it must be something more to it than what you see.

My whole take on the negative reaction that people have to the new look of BMW is that some are highly resistant to change.

Personally I enjoy the direction that styling is going. Things are finally becoming more interesting after the fascination with retro based designs.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Saint_Spinner,Apr 14 2006, 10:22 AM
lol. Its funny to see people discuss car design without ever experiencing it.
I haven't made any beautiful women lately, but I know one when I see one.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mdy,Apr 14 2006, 10:49 AM
My whole take on the negative reaction that people have to the new look of BMW is that some are highly resistant to change.

Personally I enjoy the direction that styling is going. Things are finally becoming more interesting after the fascination with retro based designs.
You can have your opinion.

My opinion is that people who like the new BMWs only like the styling because it is flashy and "bling" and announces to the world that you spent a whole ton of money on a NEW BMW. The old BMWs looked the same for long stretches, so the man on the street didn't know if you bought a $10k '92 750, or a brand new $100k 750. Now, there is no question, and those who value flash instead of good taste cream themselves over it.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

PS..I do agree that retro sucks. It's lazy-man's design, shows no creativity, and looks tired very fast. It's the design version of fast food.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno, I don't think I really despise the look of any one particular car, just the trends that are sweeping the industry. Car styling used to be about smooth, flowing lines that connected and complimented each other. Now you have all kinds of odd geometric shapes making their way into auto styling, and it just looks like crap. One of the reasons I LOVE the styling on the S2000 is the fact it does have the smooth, even lines and curves, and uncluttered body panels. I'm all for progressive styling, but mad science is just stupid. I hope designers can get back to penning real cars with real shapes that look like they're gliding down the road. I miss stuff like that.

Oh, and I will second Mr. Stack's notion that the whole 'retro' thing is FREAKING STUPID! If I wanted to buy an old Mustang, I'd go BUY ONE. If I wanted an old Challenger or Charger or whatever, I'd go get one of those too. Sadly, I didn't like the old versions of those cars, and I sure as hell don't want to spend new car $$ on something that looks like it came out of Road and Track 30 years ago. The practice of encouraging the 'retro' look is only slowing the pace of automotive design. All those carmakers need to evolve rather than REvolve.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:40 AM
mdy

I necessarily don't think their direction was "bling" and "flash" as you put it. Part of it seems to be technology driven. One of the words Bangle used when describing "Flame Design" was spline and that goes hand in hand with the integration of alias into the design process; new shapes come with new technology and ways of being to explore ideas. This also seems to be tied into some of the direction of modern architecture(people like Gehry). In the end it is all about fashion as well as tapping into something new. You can't argue against BMW's direction being derivative and in-line with trends in fashion, but of course that doesn't justify it as good. Thats something thats a little too difficult to quantify and measure, but they don't seem to being punished monetarily for taking this risk.

On the people side of things, I'm curious to see if age affects their feelings on polarizing styling(especially BMW's).
Old 04-14-2006, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=xviper,Apr 14 2006, 10:35 AM] You don't need to experience, understand or even be in car design to know what you like or don't like.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by CBeyond,Apr 14 2006, 09:41 AM
I wonder if the newest generation BMW designs would be as successful if they had a Hyundai or Kia badge on the grille. I think probably not. I believe most BMW buyers are brand worshippers, so it doesn't matter to them if the design is slightly dissonant or displeasing. Only the brand matters. I am speaking about the majority of buyers, NOT the minority of auto enthusiasts like the people posting in this forum.
The reason why Hyundai or Kia would have failed if they tried outlandish designs is that they are followers, not leaders. I can start wearing cowboy hats in an attempt to influence fashion, but I won't be very successful. If Paris Hilton starts wearing cowboy hats, she may actually start a new fashion trend.

Furthermore, Bangle and BMW have had a dramatic impact on car design in general. You can see most other manufacturers adopting parts of BMW's design philosophy lately.

So to sum it up, you're completely wrong on all counts.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by slicksilver,Apr 14 2006, 01:53 PM

So to sum it up, you're completely wrong on all counts.
Actually no, I'm not "completely wrong on all counts."

You just repeated my same argument in different words. So BMW is a "fashion leader" in automotive design... why? Why do people accept unusual designs from them that would be frowned upon from Korean manufacturers? Because of brand worship. It's the same thing described a different way.

The same way the Paris Hilton brand has more value than the slicksilver brand.

If Hyundia or Kia hired a hot new auto designer and produced cars that challenged the design status quo, they would immediately stop being "followers" by any objective analysis. However, no one would accept this new design philosophy from them because they don't have the kind of brand value that BMW has.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:17 PM

Whether Bangle has affected the entire automotive design industry or not, i wont buy any car that looks like on of his monstrosities. BMW, Ferrari, Kia, or whatever. No name is going to make a POS any better than a POS.

Quick Reply: Where did good Styling go?