Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Where did good Styling go?

Old 04-14-2006, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Apr 14 2006, 10:03 AM
I think part of the problem is that everyone buys silver cars now. Take the TSX for instance. In silver it is booooorrrring. Just another snooze-mobile. But if you see a clean black one, or my red one, it really brings out the subtley and cleanliness of the styling-looks a lot like an Alfa Romeo. There are many other cases that are the same; if I saw a vividly colored Hyundai parked next to a silver Ferrari, my first subconscious impression would be that I want the Hyundai, and then reality would hit. But at first glance, give me something brightly or richly colored.

In fact, there's someone who works near me that has a black Mercury Mariner (Ford Escape) with a chrome grille and no roof rack that they keep impeccably clean, and every time I see it, it strikes me, just because of the color and clean styling. If I saw that same car in silver or grey, it wouldn't even register.
Dont make me unite the Silverstone and Sebring owners against you. We will bring you down!!!
Old 04-14-2006, 08:07 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lyndon_h,Apr 14 2006, 08:06 AM
Dont make me unite the Silverstone and Sebring owners against you. We will bring you down!!!
I'm not too afraid of a bunch of bland guys who have no imagination.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:14 AM

Thank goodness more common sense was used on the Mustang,new Civic (except maybe for that two tier dash),Fusion, FJ Cruiser,Solstice,Sky, and new GTI . This new generation of stylists need to get their eyes examined!
I'm not sure if it's an age thing, but I really think the new Mustang doesn't look all that great. I HATE the FJ Cruiser, and the Fusion reminds me of a Prelude. Solstice looks horrid and the GTI is OK.

I however love the new 'Bangled' cars especially the 5 series. The new IS looks very nice too. C6 is almost like staring at sex and the Camry is OK (Rear is a huge improvement).
Old 04-14-2006, 08:37 AM

This thread is flawed right from the start. Making comments that a given car is ugly is flawed from the start, because there are a million people out there that disagree. It
Old 04-14-2006, 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=y2ks2k,Apr 14 2006, 10:37 AM] This thread is flawed right from the start. Making comments that a given car is ugly is flawed from the start, because there are a million people out there that disagree. It
Old 04-14-2006, 08:58 AM

They simple make fast, expensive UGLY cars and some peoples' minds, this equates to good looking. But then, just because you have money, doesn't mean you have good taste.
LOL...nothing like stating your opinion and calling it gospel. Just because they make world class cars and had their best sales year yet last year I'm sure they will start suffering since you don't like them.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,Apr 14 2006, 08:37 AM
This thread is flawed right from the start. Making comments that a given car is ugly is flawed from the start, because there are a million people out there that disagree.
A discussion of looks is perfectly valid. Not only do you get to express your personal opinion, but you can generate a consensus.

I'm sure some people hate the looks of the Acura NSX, but the consensus is that it is an attractive car.

I'm sure some people love the looks of the Pontiac Aztek, but the consensus is that it is an ugly car.

Lots of cars have a consensus as being either attractive or ugly, so it is indeed worth discussing. Looks are subjective, but not completely subjective. There are some universal shapes, forms and details that tend to make a car of any given type (sports car, SUV, hatchback) look good or look bad.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:41 AM

I wonder if the newest generation BMW designs would be as successful if they had a Hyundai or Kia badge on the grille. I think probably not. I believe most BMW buyers are brand worshippers, so it doesn't matter to them if the design is slightly dissonant or displeasing. Only the brand matters. I am speaking about the majority of buyers, NOT the minority of auto enthusiasts like the people posting in this forum.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by derryck,Apr 14 2006, 09:58 AM
LOL...nothing like stating your opinion and calling it gospel. Just because they make world class cars and had their best sales year yet last year I'm sure they will start suffering since you don't like them.
OK, let's analyze what I said:
BMW has not "worn" me down at all. Neither has Audi or VW. BMW has some of THE MOST UGLIEST automobiles in the world today. Just because they are expensive and are high performance does NOT make them pleasing to the eye. They simple make fast, expensive UGLY cars and some peoples' minds, this equates to good looking. But then, just because you have money, doesn't mean you have good taste.
Take note that I've bolded the words "me" and "some". Where in the HELL in this whole statement do you see me calling it "GOSPEL"?????

Only YOU, inferred that my statement was "gospel". I considered it MY opinion, no more, no less than anyone else's "OPINION". JESUS H. CHRIST, derryck, you've been here for over 5 years, as have I and you still can't read or make the proper sense out of what someone posts.
I DO NOT regret that I posted ANY of the words I did. My only DEEPEST REGRET is that you've mistaken me for someone who gives a FLYING RATSASS about how you perceive the world.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol. Its funny to see people discuss car design without ever experiencing it.

Quick Reply: Where did good Styling go?