Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What's with Porsche and BMW snobby attitude?

Old 11-09-2007, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of these comments crack me up. First of all taking a sample from any particular internet forum and then deeming it 'so many owners' is a huge flaw in itself. I see just as much domestic and other car snobbery on this forum as any other. Most of the BMW and P-car owners I meet personally are alot like myself and they just love cars. I've owned a ton of cars...P-cars, BMW's, Hondas...you can pretty much name anything that's not an exotic and I've had one and I've loved them all for one reason or another.

because people need to justify to themselves and others why they spent the money that they did on a car, that in all reality, you could get the same performance, comfort, style, etc. from another brand for a lot cheaper.
This comment is just plain ol' ignorance...
Old 11-09-2007, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by sparrow,Nov 9 2007, 06:58 AM
s2k crowd is just as bad...350z is shit cuz its heavy blah blah...corvette has the interior of a mooses stomach lining blah blah...this is not a honda civic blah blah...some ricer in his (enter japanese engine swapped compact car) tried to run me but since i have an s2k i didnt run him yooo...for more examples please see the street encounters forum
I don't understand your logic, the 350Z is heavy as hell...and the Corvette has a crappy interior.

Is the 350Z nice looking? Yes.

Is the Corvette fast as hell and one of the best performane bargains possible? Yes.

I just call it the way I see it.

Will the 350Z being heavy stop me from getting one? Definitely

Will the Vette's interior stop me from getting one? Heck no...I'd love a Vette.

BMW and Porsche guys say their car is better "just cause it is".
Old 11-09-2007, 06:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont understand your logic in analyzing my comments...the car is shit b/c its heavy = if its not as light as my s2k its nothing...the same way they say the s2k only has 240hp so its nothing ....i dont see your logic of analyzing which "appears" to be that you did not use any as the statement was not directed twds you but if you felt so obligated to respond to it directly then you must fall w/in the category of the people being discussed. Not a personal attack just an observation or as you stated..."calling it how I see it"...Have you driven a 350z?
Old 11-09-2007, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by bobushka king,Nov 9 2007, 06:03 AM
because people need to justify to themselves and others why they spent the money that they did on a car, that in all reality, you could get the same performance, comfort, style, etc. from another brand for a lot cheaper.
Yea... I think if you paid good money to get a sports car, you wouldn't like the fact there are other "value" sports cars that are cheaper and may perform better.

Or it could be that rich people may be snobby in the first place
Old 11-09-2007, 07:04 AM

it's a natural reaction i think. gives people something to bond about, and rally against "the other guy" and help yourself feel smart, from making the right decision.

every car has its pros and cons, but people will tend to bias toward what they chose.

the miata forum i came from had a great community, with lots of open minds. but there was still a little sense of superiority and some car-bashing (though prohibited by forum rules, it still came through).
Old 11-09-2007, 07:25 AM

Yeah the funny thing is usually when I meet real-life Porsche or BMW owners they seem very nice and open minded; I was just commenting the internet forums.

I'm not saying they bash JDM cars; they respect JDM cars but there's always that little sense of ''superiority''.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by sparrow,Nov 9 2007, 05:58 AM
for more examples please see the street encounters forum
please don't use the street encounters forum to represent s2000 owners.

People who are snobby about anything are just unsecure about themselves. They are not all like that. It's mostly the ones who had to 'buy up' to a BMW rather than those who it's chump change to. People feel it's a status symbol. It's like anything exclusive of semi exclusive. Some people feel better about themselves when they put someone else down.

I'm sure you'll still find people like you who are not snobs and are there for sports car purity. Keep looking. The most fun you can have with the snobs is play into their snobbery and chuckle to yourself.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:35 AM

Everyone is a badge-whore/fanboy in their own right.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:46 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by bobushka king,Nov 9 2007, 06:03 AM
+100

go on any car forum and it's always "My car is the best because it's what I have" and I cannot stress enough the I in that statement. Whatever a person has, it's the best because they have it/own it.

I like German cars just fine, what I don't like is their maintenance and reliability costs.
I must be an enthusiast because I'd take a C6 with the new motor over anything Porsche or BMW make and spend the savings on remodeling something in my house, taking an elaborate vacation and on and on. People are so hooked on status and prestige in this country. A car or badge doesn't make you and it doesn't mean anything.
In fact the biggest pieces of shit I've ever met were people with more money than they knew what to do with. We're on this Earth for just a very short time and people waste their time with badges, status, etc. Have fun when you die because you ain't taking any of that shit with you.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by sparrow,Nov 9 2007, 08:28 AM
I dont understand your logic in analyzing my comments...the car is shit b/c its heavy = if its not as light as my s2k its nothing...the same way they say the s2k only has 240hp so its nothing ....i dont see your logic of analyzing which "appears" to be that you did not use any as the statement was not directed twds you but if you felt so obligated to respond to it directly then you must fall w/in the category of the people being discussed. Not a personal attack just an observation or as you stated..."calling it how I see it"...Have you driven a 350z?
Yes I have driven one...they're heavy, especially considering it's a 2-seat "sports car". Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own one as a daily driver, the torque was nice...but the torque is needed cause the thing feels heavy.

Quick Reply: What's with Porsche and BMW snobby attitude?