Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What's the GD problem? How come the US doesn't

Old 10-14-2005, 10:09 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What's the GD problem? How come the US doesn't

I read a letter in a car mag. The guy (not me) complained that the car makers are forcing high-performance cars on US. He said he'd go to a dealership and there'd be 100+ cars that get mileage in the low 20s but very few that'd get in the high 30s. And for a Prius there's a 6 month waiting list.

I think this guy is all wet. Maybe I'm wrong, but last I checked the auto manufacturers will stock what sells.

Leave out the Prius, b/c I think (maybe) toyota isn't making much money on them so why build more than demand? Also the RX400 is so new it's still very hot. But the Prius has been out 2+ years and it's not cooling off.

However what about Corollas (40 MPG) and VWs getting in the mid-40s, and Honda Insight 50s-60s etc... If there was a mad demand for them I'd bet they'd make as many as they could sell and we see them all over the place.

I do think he has a point in that we (In the US) equate power with status. Economy cars are for poor people or weird green-ies.

I'm usually not that interested in high MPG cars, but lately I've thought again. Usually I could care less about a Civic. But with $3/gal a 30/38 MPG cars sound like something to think about.

I was just at a Honda dealership. They had 15+ Ridglines on hand but only 4 or 5 Civics. Maybe it's b/c the civic hasn't been shipped in volume or maybe people are starting to look more for economy cars and less for awd mid-size truck and SUVs.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that the TDI VWs are getting harder to find around here, especially the Jetta.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:41 AM

the TDI and other high MPG cars don't sell as well because they are too similar to their regular counterparts.

People want to make a point when driving these cars and the Prius makes it obvious since the car is solely offered as a hybrid.

The Insight is the anomaly here and I think its because its simply too small.

Also, the Prius has gotten a lot of media attention with being in TV shows and what not. Some artists even drive em up to premieres and what not.

If they made sporty models from diesel cars (like in Europe) maybe they would have slightly better luck. However, at least here in CA... its stupid to own a diesel now. Any gas savings is negated by the price.

Last gas station I pulled up to had 91 oct at 3.19 but diesel at 3.69
Old 10-14-2005, 11:16 AM

Diesels are not welcome in every state, either. Clean-air standards ban their sale in California, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Maine and Vermont. But starting in 2006, EPA-mandated clean diesel fuel, with 97 percent less sulfur content than today, could allow automakers to clean up their diesels to meet the more stringent standards.

http://www.azcentral.com/class/marketplace...assatintro.html

The states themselves don't help much either. Banning diesel (cars only I believe, but I'm not sure) is an absolutely terrible idea. Thanks New York!
Old 10-14-2005, 11:47 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess it'll take a while of high gas prices to see a change. I guess $1.50/gal for most of the last 20 years has got us used to cheap gas.

I'm not really effected by high gas price since I make a good income. But I can't imagine "middle-income" people spending $90/tank on their F-150s and Tahoes etc.. for the foreseeable future...

Old 10-14-2005, 05:52 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

it takes time to change especially car which lasts a few years.
also, I don't want to drive a 1500lbs car next to a 6000lbs hummer. saving $1k in gas is no good if you're dead.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cult of Prius is a special case. Honda has offered the Civic HX with seriously good gas mileage for how many years?
Old 10-14-2005, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by jsalicru,Oct 14 2005, 10:41 AM
People want to make a point when driving these cars and the Prius makes it obvious since the car is solely offered as a hybrid.
I think you hit the nail on the head right there
Old 10-15-2005, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by rai,Oct 14 2005, 01:09 PM
I was just at a Honda dealership. They had 15+ Ridglines on hand but only 4 or 5 Civics. Maybe it's b/c the civic hasn't been shipped in volume or maybe people are starting to look more for economy cars and less for awd mid-size truck and SUVs.
Probably because Civic just had it's best month EVER last month and there was a gap in production from 05 stop to 06 start-up.

Just wait how well the new Civic is going to sell. Same F/E as before but much better power and torque. Civic Hybrid is rated at 50/50 mpg.

How many "different" cars can you make that get high 30's? They pretty much will have to be under 3000 lbs. and have a small engine and smallish body with lower drag. He's complaining about something that at this time can not be fixed.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:27 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsalicru,Oct 14 2005, 12:41 PM
Last gas station I pulled up to had 91 oct at 3.19 but diesel at 3.69
Diesel is cheaper to make yet the prices have gone up much more than gas prices. Since Sept. of last year diesel prices here have gone from $1.60 gal to $3.50 gal. That's way more than double in just over a year. At 17 to 18 mpg average I didn't mind driving my Chevy 2500HD diesel most of the time because it didn't cost much if any more than my SVT Focus beater car that takes premium gas. Now I'm paying 50 cents a gallon more than premium for diesel and the truck just sits in the garage unless I have to tow something.

BTW, after owning a diesel truck I would be happy to have a diesel car but not if fuel prices stay this much higher for diesel.

Quick Reply: What's the GD problem? How come the US doesn't