Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What's faster around the track a street bike or a car?

Old 10-11-2003, 06:49 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What's faster around the track a street bike or a car?

I think I know the car is faster at the top limit of the sport. I mean I don't think a race bike can touch a F1 cars lap time.

Let's leave out the Enzo, the McLaren F1, and other "race cars" that happen to be street legal.

What production car do you think will give you best lap times? 360CS, GT2, etc...

Here's what I think, the bike will be faster accelerating and the car will be faster in the corners. But overall I think the bike will be faster since the gap between a street car and a race car is huge.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends upon the track. Sometimes a bike, sometimes a car, on many smaller tracks the record lap is held by a cart. Lap times are all about the drivers, the equipment is secondary in a lot of cases.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When talking about your more 'normal' cars then the bike is the quicker vehicle, and by a good margin as the bike will have insane straighline acceleration compared to the car.

Though, there are cars that can give bikes a good run for their money ... they just are not that cheap though, and I'm not sure if they fit into he category that you had in mind. The EVO mag run the 2003 track-test with one bike (Honda CBR 600RR with race rubber). They were running on their usual test track (ie. max sped of around 100mph ... so reasonably low speed track). They had about 6 cars there and another 6 track-specials. The road-cars were on road-rubber so it may not be a fair comparision (as the race rubber is worth good 2 secs per lap), but here are some lap-times from that day:
- Honda CBR 600RR (with race rubber) = 76.70
- Noble M12 GTO 3 (road rubber) = 78.50
- Porsche 911 Turbo (road rubber) = 79.50
- Lotus Elise 135R (race rubber) = 81.30
- Vauxhall VX220 Turbo (race rubber) = 81.50
- Renault Clio Cup (road rubber) = 86.95

And here are some track-specials (all on race rubber):
- Jaguar Palmer JP1 = 67.79
- Radical SR3 Superport = 68.20
- Radical SR3 Tracksport = 72.10
- Caterham R400 = 75.20
- Arial Atom R = 78.90
Old 10-11-2003, 07:15 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

DavidM, is the honda CBR600 a "fast" bike?

BTW thanks for the lap times. That Elise 135R has 135hp(is that right?) So will the US Elise be any faster?

The 911 turbo with "slicks" will be close to the bike so the GT2 should be faster.

I saw an article with the Atom in CAR magazine, it looks like a 4 wheeled motor cycle (with a Honda integra or S2000 engine).
Old 10-11-2003, 07:30 AM

DavidM, is the honda CBR600 a "fast" bike?

I'm not a bike expert so it's hard for me to say (maybe someone else can answer that?). Though, I'd guess that 'yes' it is a quick bike and it is a 'sports' bike so it should excell on a track. But I'd guess that it would not be as quick as the CBR900. Oh, and 'this' bike was driven by a 'pro' rider so it had a bit of an advantage in this test.

BTW thanks for the lap times. That Elise 135R has 135hp?(is that right?) So will the US Elise be any faster?

Yep, 135bhp .... though, I'm not sure if the US Elise will be faster as 'this' UK Elise weights only 726kg (ie. 1600pounds?). How much will the US Elise weight?

The 911 turbo with "slicks" will be close to the bike so the GT2 should be faster.

Yep, that's what I would guess. The GT2 should be another 1+ sec quicker than the Turbo. Though, I should have mentioned that the Bike was driven by a pro-rider, while the cars were driven by the magazine Jurnos (ie. amateurs). I would guess that in the hands of a 'pro' driver the lap-times for the cars would be good 1 - 2 secs quicker (and not necesarily in the same order).

I saw an article with the Atom in CAR magazine, it looks like a 4 wheeled motor cycle (with a Honda integra or S2000 engine).

Yep, that's the one, though this Atom 'R' has a 2.0L Civic Type-R engine in it (ie. 197bhp).
Old 10-11-2003, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll put a Z06 on DOT race rubber up against your typical 600, 750 or even 1000cc bike on DOT race rubber and on most tracks the difference will be very close - within a second or two. In fact, on tighter tracks I'll give the advantage to the car. On very fast tracks, the bike's superior acceleration gives it the advantage. Looking at lap times and records at our local short track and fast track (Streets of Willow vs. Big Willow) bears this out.

And before anyone decides to quote the Motorcyclist comparison last year of a Z06 and Gixxer1000, please note that it has been discussed already and that test was poorly setup and biased. They put a former GP world champion on the bike, and then put him in the car for the lap times - riiighhttt. And they didn't use Hoosiers either

UL
Old 10-11-2003, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by cdelena
Depends upon the track. Sometimes a bike, sometimes a car, on many smaller tracks the record lap is held by a cart. Lap times are all about the drivers, the equipment is secondary in a lot of cases.

Exactly. Bikes are definitely faster than the average street car, but a car with a well setup suspension will simply outhandle a bike
Old 10-11-2003, 09:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a British video showing a 996 C4 (not even the quickest C4 by a long shot) against an R1.

The C4 ends up winning by a few seconds. On the straight the bike runs away quickly, however the greater tire contract area of the 911 allows quicker corner entry, duration and exit speeds.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:43 AM

Actually the difference was less than a second, the car barely one just on the last turn. Anyway judging from that video it seems that the car handled much better through the corners, whatever distance the bike made on the straights was just decimated by the ability of the car to brake much later and turn in. I found a link to that vid but I don't know if it's still up:
http://www.sportbikerush.com/vids/m...he911_vs_R1.avi

Sri
Old 10-11-2003, 12:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by steve c
There is a British video showing a 996 C4 (not even the quickest C4 by a long shot) against an R1.

Quick Reply: What's faster around the track a street bike or a car?