Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What are your thoughts on the Ducati Monster S4?

Old 05-05-2002, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are your thoughts on the Ducati Monster S4?

Hey Guys! just got over in Germany this past month( S-2000 made it also slight damage though)but that's another story. I've been quoted a price for a 2002 Ducati monster S4, for $8,900, when the dealer gets them in July. I kind of like the "naked" bike look, if its a respectable bike. I know many of you guys are "super" bike freaks. Preferring the R1 , Gixer, or 954's of the world. I'm rather partial to that also, except realistically my skills are not up to par. I feel I'd waste the bikes potential. I've ridden a CBR 900 with quite a few mods and did fine. I loved it! but i'm thinking for driving more comfortably, less back/neck ache. I should go with a standard. But, I want a bike that still has its "Balls",looks, and above all, good handling. I've looked at the FZR, but it feels a little big for me. (I'm 5'9 165lbs) than I considered the new 919 fits pretty good and I like the reviews, good power, handling, doesn't look wimpy, nice price..but..not that eye appealing. Thats how I started thinking about the Ducati S4. It is very similar to the 919( of course its a 2 stroke)same horse power 101 and almost identical torque. The big plus is, it looks pretty good and it says "Ducati", and i'm able to get it fairly cheap compared to the states price. So to all my respected S-2000 brothers and cycle fanatics....Whatcha think?( sorry so long )
Old 05-05-2002, 12:22 PM

I like 'em, and just for comparo, my dealer has one that he's looking to sell at his "deal" price of 11,000!! You're getting a good deal!! I think the Monsters look pretty nice, and with the S4 you'll get some power to match.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:38 PM

Hey, Do other bikers tend to look at Dukati owners, like some people look at BMW owners? ( snobbish mentality? or no prob with whatever bike you ride?)
Old 05-05-2002, 04:41 PM

I look at it this way. If someone is going to base their entire opinion of you on what bike you choose to ride, then screw 'em!! It's all about what makes you want to jump on yer bike and ride. If YOU don't like it for your own reasons, you won't ride it as much. And yes, I'm sure you will find some people who tend to group Ducati owners, just like Harley owners and BMW owners. IMO, if it's got two wheels, I usually like it, unless it's ugly...
Old 05-05-2002, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always loved Monsters based on their look and sound, though I haven't yet ridden one. I even considered buying a Foggy Monster when they were taking reservations over the Internet.

The S4 is badass...it uses the 916 or 996 engine, so it's not exactly gonna be weak. I'm disappointed w/ the aesthetics of the liquid-cooled engine (exposed hoses, radiator, etc.), so I'd possibly pick the Monster 900 instead (cheaper maintenance, too).

If you're concerned about comfort and want to do more than low speed/short trip in-town riding, the lack of wind protection is going to more than offset the more upright ergos. How about a VFR or SV650S?
Old 05-06-2002, 01:27 PM

Yeah Chris, I did consider the SV-650 and think its a good bike, but i'm afraid i'll want more oomph pretty quickly. I never really noticed the hoses and radiator on the S-4 that much. Of course I saw them, but they didn't jump at me, as out of place. I read some where else, they also preferred the "neater" look of the 900 Monster better. Do you consider the maintenance on a Ducati that much more of a hassle? I Know the valves require adjustment every 6000 miles, and that could put me back 500 smackaroos every time. Any other surprises you Know of? Oh, It's the 916 engine by the way, of course slightly detuned. What makes you feel it's "Badass"? Looks? or more towards performance?
Old 05-06-2002, 01:38 PM

Krystallcati, I agree. I guess it comes down to what ever "floats yer boat". I just need a general feeling of what the "masses" think 'cause there's some truth to the vibe (if you will) of social consensus. At least economically, for resale value.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, both its looks (ex. the FUGLY radiator and hose routing) and performance are badass, at least for a standard-type bike. Frequent, expensive valve adjustments are the biggest extra cost on a Duc, but you can cut that cost significantly w/ an air-cooled, 4 valve engined model.

Otherwise, Ducs seem to be pretty solid, though character "quirks" are not all that uncommon. Nothing to worry about too much, though.

Really, my biggest reservation would be lack of wind protection for the speeds/distances I do. Also, I can't speak from experience w/ this bike, but upright ergos can actually be less comfy b/c they place all the weight on your butt and spine, whereas a sportier position re-distributes more of the weight towards your upper body.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:45 PM

Valid points Chris, I've never had to drive "long" distance, but drove my friends CBR 900 for about 2 hours. My hands and wrists started to go numb. Could be many factors, needing to build up my tolerances to riding,vibrations, or hanging on for dear life
Old 05-18-2002, 03:50 AM

Been a little while for this thread. Just wanted to add I rode the S-4 about 2 days ago. A lot of fun and very easy to ride. Felt kinda like a dirt bike. Nice throttle response and easy to turn. I was stretching out the throttle, after geting used to the bike for about 20 minutes or so. Found myself doing a wheely. Front ends lighter than I expected. Not being prone to wild antics, I backed off the throttle but couldn't get the grin off my face. This bike has enough torque to have some fun

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on the Ducati Monster S4?