Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

what would be your sleeper creation for 30K

Old 11-13-2006, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what would be your sleeper creation for 30K

Here are the rules, total price should not be more then roughly 30K, car needs to be somewhat a sleeper. OK to the person that loves cars he/she will pick it out in a minute but for the normal person may not suspect anything.....what car would you buy and what to add the most bang for the buck. Car also needs to be fairly reliable and have roughly 50K miles on it.... so not talking cars for cheap at 200K miles you get for 10K then for 20 K add a crazy crate motor...

Example: Volvo Turbo Wagon (type R model being too much $$$$) what year would you get, what model and where would you spend money on the mods for this to make it a monster?

VW R32 Golf? Costing roughy 30K even used not to much room for mods.....

Older 4 door AMG E55?

used 540i (maybe pick up for 25K leaving 5K left over for some dinan software, exhaust, CAI, springs etc....)

?

?

Curious peoples thoughts... please feel free to add what HP you think you will be at and ballpark 0-60 and quarter miles times, estimated of course. if you have a sleeper lets see it!

Old 11-13-2006, 01:57 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Used Sti.
Remove the wing and trade it to a WRX owner
Debadge it.
Downpipe.

Done.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Chevy astro van

Midmounted LS2 crate motor

cutsom driveshaft

custom mounts

custom exhaust

Lots of fun
Old 11-13-2006, 02:06 PM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

datsun 510 + 2jz =
Old 11-13-2006, 02:29 PM

Buy a used white Legacy GT, found a 2005 online for $19k with 31.5k miles. This one has the premium so I would get the perks like power seats, leather and sunroof.

With the remaining $11k, I would upgrade the wheels/tires, upgrade the brakes(SS brake lines, pads), suspension (coilovers), some exterior (front bumper)/interior (NAV) tweaks and either throw the rest of the cash at a Cobb upgrade to the engine, or do an STi swap.

That way I would have a 300+hp, AWD, unassuming Subaru sedan that isnt a WRX, so its under the radar, is large enough for a growing family and mature enough for driving my boss to lunch.

Imagine this car in white and you have a pretty good idea as to what I would end up with.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:37 PM

it's not easy to get a good sleeper 'effect' from a late model car these days with family sedans in the 250-hp range (gotta love it, though )

but the closest you could get is a baby blue or beige convertible Beetle with a chipped 2.0T engine and whitewall tires for the added retro Beetle look
Old 11-13-2006, 02:44 PM

A turbocharged SC300 or with a 1jz swap! Don't think you will be able to find one w/ 50k on it though.

~Josh
Old 11-13-2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by gotrpms,Nov 13 2006, 11:05 PM
Chevy astro van

Midmounted LS2 crate motor

cutsom driveshaft

custom mounts

custom exhaust

Lots of fun
nice now we are talking.....
Old 11-13-2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Traveldude,Nov 13 2006, 11:29 PM
Buy a used white Legacy GT, found a 2005 online for $19k with 31.5k miles. This one has the premium so I would get the perks like power seats, leather and sunroof.

With the remaining $11k, I would upgrade the wheels/tires, upgrade the brakes(SS brake lines, pads), suspension (coilovers), some exterior (front bumper)/interior (NAV) tweaks and either throw the rest of the cash at a Cobb upgrade to the engine, or do an STi swap.

That way I would have a 300+hp, AWD, unassuming Subaru sedan that isnt a WRX, so its under the radar, is large enough for a growing family and mature enough for driving my boss to lunch.

Imagine this car in white and you have a pretty good idea as to what I would end up with.

Legacy GT's are great cars.... nice choice
Old 11-13-2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by mickfluff,Nov 13 2006, 10:44 PM
Here are the rules, total price should not be more then roughly 30K, car needs to be somewhat a sleeper. OK to the person that loves cars he/she will pick it out in a minute but for the normal person may not suspect anything.....what car would you buy and what to add the most bang for the buck. Car also needs to be fairly reliable and have roughly 50K miles on it.... so not talking cars for cheap at 200K miles you get for 10K then for 20 K add a crazy crate motor...

Example: Volvo Turbo Wagon (type R model being too much $$$$) what year would you get, what model and where would you spend money on the mods for this to make it a monster?

VW R32 Golf? Costing roughy 30K even used not to much room for mods.....

Older 4 door AMG E55?

used 540i (maybe pick up for 25K leaving 5K left over for some dinan software, exhaust, CAI, springs etc....)

?

?

Curious peoples thoughts... please feel free to add what HP you think you will be at and ballpark 0-60 and quarter miles times, estimated of course. if you have a sleeper lets see it!
Would anyone pick up a used new model pontiac GTO stock with 400HP..... the styling so laid back on that car it's kind of already a sleeper compared to whats lurking under the hood.... used 20K range a few years old and maybe toss some $$$ into the engine and getting 500+hp should be easy.... kind off crossing the line from sleeper topic though.......

I am eager to hear anyone with some volvo wagon ideas.... perfect baby hauler, sleeper for sure and heard they can be made real fast for highway cruising and less on the 0-60.....

I am not talking insane fast but fast enough to spook a few people on the road maybe driving s2k.s or Mustang Gt's etc... not neccesariliy able to walk a zo6 by any means but hopefully I got the jist across... thanks

Quick Reply: what would be your sleeper creation for 30K