Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What would you rather have?.. and why? 'Stang or 8

Old 06-06-2005, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vroom,Jun 6 2005, 01:06 PM
I really think that these cars are so radically different in everything they do that it should be an easy decision
Actually, thats what makes it a very hard decision... for me anyways
Old 06-06-2005, 02:09 PM

I personally like the looks of the mustang better, but the RX-8 is not bad looking either.

Power: Clearly the mustang, high 13's at 100 +, thats not a bad place to be in. Low end torque, and the ability to modify this car up the wazoo.

Handling: RX-8 wins this category, but are you going to be auto Xing or road racing, if not, I dont see why this should determine your choice. Unless you live near a lot of windy roads where you can safely open it up, then go for it. But the mustang is no slouch, its come a long way.

Sound: american muscle V8, or windy rotary? I think the stock exhaust on the mustang sounds fantastic, I drove one the other night and it sounded bad ass. its really subjective, but I think an american V8 has a more distintive and tasteful sound than a revvy rotary.

I say drive them both, make your own decision. One nice thing is that the RX-8 is not a very common car, or at least where I come from. Driving the car for awhile is the best way to decide, but hit us up if you need hardcore data.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:16 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vroom,Jun 6 2005, 01:06 PM
rai - is that what they say? Is that about the 05 or the previous gen? OMG - I've been kind of lured by that car just for giggles, but that bit about numb controls, stiff yet rubbery shifter and handling going to pot when exercised, would diminish any exhilaration brought on by the power.

Just goes to show - Over here, the mags claim it handles well and the shifter is excellent.
It's talking about the new 05 mustang. They said the gearing was too tall 4th was good for the highway.

But they didn't like the shifter on the C6 either thay said it was like a bagful of antlers (he he I just like the way they describe things).
Old 06-06-2005, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jun 6 2005, 12:35 PM
I'd take the Stang, though I'm not a big Ford fan.
ha ha, they are both Fords.... we all shouldn't forget that the RX-8 has a 9K redline like our sexy s2k's.

I'd probably take the RX-8 and try to swap out those ugly's ass front fenders with something better looking.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:43 PM

Personally I think the RX-8 looks alot better then the Mustang. But obviously the Mustang performs alot better in daily situations.

But if I was forced to choose one of them, I would probably go with the... RX-8. (Really hard choice actually. I would never buy either however in real life.)
Old 06-06-2005, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd pick the 'Stang for looks and grunt. But like others noted, neither is really on my radar.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by rai,Jun 6 2005, 02:16 PM
It's talking about the new 05 mustang. They said the gearing was too tall 4th was good for the highway.

But they didn't like the shifter on the C6 either thay said it was like a bagful of antlers (he he I just like the way they describe things).
magazines need to take into account that high horsepower cars are going to have a worse shifting feel than lower horsepower cars. the s2000 feels fantastic when you shift, a Cobra however feels much worse. Could you swap an S2K tranny into a Cobra, probably not a good idea. As the power goes up, the more powerful the tranny must be and therefore will feel worse.

btw, the Tremec T-56 in the vette is one of the best transmissions ever created....little do they know that.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by brockLT1,Jun 6 2005, 02:09 PM
I say drive them both, make your own decision. One nice thing is that the RX-8 is not a very common car, or at least where I come from. Driving the car for awhile is the best way to decide, but hit us up if you need hardcore data.
I have driven them both... and like I said both cars appeal to different sides of me... right now, both cars are a little rare up here.. they both turn heads

The RX8 is a really cool, sexy, free reving corner carver.... this car is definitely more of a fit with my "wheel attitude"

BUT

2005 Mustang GT..... For those who comment on it before driving/knowing anything about it...really shoudn't be doing this. the driving experience is quite intoxicating; especially for the money you pay. The syling attracts me like a friggin magnet. Its not a perfect car (they could have used some better interior materirals for sure... but then again so could Nissan with the 350Z) but definitely a huge improvement to the point where I am willing to consider it. The shifter is a little vague but still not bad at all... handling will surprise you and the clutch is good too; no longer is it a leg workout...

But I'll be honest with you, I have some reservations about 'stang build quality and its a biggie with me. I'm not saying its bad.. its just too early to tell and the track record Ford has leaves much to be desired. Not only that but I just dont think I fit into that whole "mustang guy" thing which is a whole other cup o ignorance but it still rags the hell out of me nonetheless
Old 06-06-2005, 03:29 PM

I stopped going to the 1/4 mile track after getting the S2K. If I had the money, there would be no doubt that I'd get the Mustang for a little drag strip duty.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Banned

Um, the Ford Mustang is one car with no build quality issues. Its past reliability, if you believe mag ratings, is pretty much as high as they get. The car is over-built.

Mazda rotaries, OTH, ....

Quick Reply: What would you rather have?.. and why? 'Stang or 8