Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What would cause a key to get stuck in the ignition?

Old 08-15-2003, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would cause a key to get stuck in the ignition?

My brother-in-law has a mid '9x Dodge Caravan. One day, he put the key in the ignition, drove, and when he parked, he tried to take the key out. But the key just would not come out. The key works just fine to start and stop the engine, all positions work normally. But the key just would not come out. He's tried squirting lubricants into it and everything, but it just would not come out.

This went on for several months until he got worry that leaving the key in the ignition is an open invitation. So he finally took the van to the Dodge dealer. They took the whole dash apart and they could not get the key out. They kept the van for TWO days, charged him more than $100 for their "investigation" and said the only way to fix the problem is to completely replace the ignition switch, which will cost more than $600. And some people wonder why the American auto industry is in trouble.

So does anyone have any idea why the key would get stuck in the ignition? It wiggles, so it is not jammed. It also turns and all the positions work normally. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? Any suggestions?
Old 08-15-2003, 10:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Our '89 Caravan did something similar in its first week. 'Cept ours, the key went in but it did not operate the ignition. It did not turn. The whole car had to be towed in to the dealer. They replaced the ignition lock cylinder and re-keyed all the door lock cylinders under warranty.
I think it has to do with the tumblers in the lock mechanism. If one of them is either hung up or stuck down on one of the key's teeth, it will not work right. In my case, a tumbler was hung up and would not come down to align with its corresponding tooth, thus the lock would not turn. In your case, I'm guessing the tumbler got stuck on the tooth and that's why the lock would work but the key could not be withdrawn.
I don't think it was necessary to dismantle the whole dash, only the steering wheel column trim pieces. And 600 bucks for the ignition switch? I think they did just a little overkill. Surely they could have simply replaced the lock cylinder and left switch intact.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:32 AM

What would cause a key to get stuck in the ignition?
glue...
Old 08-15-2003, 12:50 PM

hairgel...
Old 08-15-2003, 07:32 PM

If they are going to give him only the choice of a new ignition, I say put forth every last ditch effort at ripping the thing out!!!
Seriously what will be messed up, the ignition that will need replacing anyway? Tie some steel wire to the key and yank that sucker out!
Old 08-19-2003, 06:29 PM

in answering your subject, buying a Nissan will guarantee you a stuck key in the ignition!
Old 08-21-2003, 10:53 PM

or the f..cking toyota corolla