Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What is up with Buick!?!?!?!

Old 02-14-2006, 07:33 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,868 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Feb 14 2006, 08:28 AM
Good point. I guess if I had to pay close to the $30k asking price, I'd have a fairly hard time taking it over an Accord EX V6, new 260+hp Camry V6, etc.
I agree. The Lucernce would get my money before the LaCrosse, it looks like an old Buick (LaCrosse) it's the interior with me that I don't care for. That, and they don't offer Nav, you can get a Civic with Nav...
I think they missed the target with the LaCrosse
Old 02-14-2006, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm at that stage now where I could give two shits less what people think about the car I drive (I'm 32). At this point I want a nice house, great investment/savings portfolio and a healthy/happy family.

The car is last in priority and all I really care for is an efficient, good looking, reliable high value car (asking for a lot eh?). That's why I currently drive an Accord. If you would've asked me 5-10 yrs ago, I would've laughed at anyone considering an Accord.

As you get older priorities change. The Buick would've been on my short list if it was available when I purchased my 04 Accord. I can get by the stereotypes if the car lives up to my expectations. Hopefully, more people in my age bracket will do the same and not just give blind faith to Hondas/Toyotas etc.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:54 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kadeshpa,Feb 14 2006, 08:37 AM
I'm at that stage now where I could give two shits less what people think about the car I drive (I'm 32). At this point I want a nice house, great investment/savings portfolio and a healthy/happy family.

The car is last in priority and all I really care for is an efficient, good looking, reliable high value car (asking for a lot eh?). That's why I currently drive an Accord. If you would've asked me 5-10 yrs ago, I would've laughed at anyone considering an Accord.

As you get older priorities change. The Buick would've been on my short list if it was available when I purchased my 04 Accord. I can get by the stereotypes if the car lives up to my expectations. Hopefully, more people in my age bracket will do the same and not just give blind faith to Hondas/Toyotas etc.
I'm the same age as you. I enjoy cars and driving them, regardless of the badge on the car. The LaCrosse invokes no exitement for me, and by Buick trying to target a younger audience with the LaCrosse, they missed the target. I have neither want or desire to buy this car, and some people actually buy cars based upon those things.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:10 AM

GM's aren't bad at all, I personally think the owner/driver has alot to do with how far the car will take you.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by sw05s2k,Feb 14 2006, 11:54 AM
I have neither want or desire to buy this car, and some people actually buy cars based upon those things.
If you look at the top selling cars in America, you'll notice a majority don't buy cars based upon passion. Rather its based more on perceived value and reliability.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Please show me where I said "majority" - "some" does not equal majority. I am speaking of myself and since I'm in the targeted age group of Buick I can honestly say the car does not entice me to look at/drive/own a LaCrosse.
Seems to me that you followed the "majority" suit in buying an 04 Accord, why didn't you look at the Buick Century, Chevy Malibu etc????

To quote myself:
I have neither want or desire to buy this car, and some people actually buy cars based upon those things.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:43 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Ladies, you are both still missing the point. The Buick doesn't want to settle for competing with the Accord or Camry, neither of which inspire much passion. It aspires to compete with $35k luxo sedans (while being priced at $30k), and in order to make the leap to that level, you need to be more than a good value for the money. If all it was about was value for the money, people would buy Hyundais or something. But they want to sell a $30k sedan, you need to be something more. So, if I'm going to fork out my $30-35k, it better be for something more special than just a "good deal."

You can't apply what makes a $20-25k car successful to a $30-35k car, because just to be shopping at that level means you aren't particularly concerned with value as it applies to basic transportation.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:44 AM

Business travel over V-day? I've had to do that a few times.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I would agree that the LaCrosse is probably a decent car, especially for the money if you are looking for that "type" of vehicle. But given that Buicks are styled and ride tuned to appeal to geezers and middle aged women, you are probably barking up the worng tree touting its benefits on an S2000 board. Which again raises the question as to why they don't build more cars that would appeal to this audience but I digress.

Those who prefer a "sporty" ride or driving experience will most likely find the LaCrosse seriously lacking. Those who find riding in an S2000 to be a frightening loud rattle trap might be more inclined to LOVE a La Crosse.

I could say the same about four dour Stratuses and Malibus. Having rented both versions in V6 trim I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I found them to be mildly entertaining little vehicles, especially at the price point (with the usual discounting) In four cylinder trim though both cars are sluggish mutts.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:58 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Chris, sorry I'm not missing any point. The LaCrosse is aspiring to draw the would-be luxury buyers to the LaCrosse in order to due so it needs to either be as good if not better than the ES330/ES350 Lexus for example, it isn't even close. The execution of the interior details and materials is what continually makes them a lesser car than the "foreign" luxury makes.
Based upon the cars looks and interior details, I would not buy one...

Quick Reply: What is up with Buick!?!?!?!