Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What is a sports car really?!

Old 05-16-2006, 06:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aklucsarits,May 16 2006, 06:22 AM
But the traditional definition. excludes sedans or 2+2 coupes from the category. So for example, the old Nissan 300ZX is a sports car. But the 2+2 version of the 300ZX is not - rather it would be considered a "sports car-derrived" vehicle.

The difference between a Sports car, and a Sport-y car.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:01 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

But the 2+2 version of the 300ZX is not - rather it would be considered a "sports car-derrived" vehicle.
I have a hard time believing that two extra "seats" as are found in many sports cars changes the whole deinition of the car.

So a Porsche 911 is not a sports car? Do people at SCCA really say a 2+2 300ZX is not a sports car?

It's about intentionally sacrificing practicality and conveniences for the sake of pure driving enjoyment.
I have a hard time with this one too. Practicality and convenience suffer as a result of making a car more sporting, but removing these things doesn't make a car a sports car. According to this logic, if I take a Yugo and remove tha back seats and power windows, you have a sports car!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attempting to draw hard and fast rules for what is and is not a "sports car" only serves to demonstrate how silly that exercise is.

Once could argue that a "sports car" is any car designed from the start as a sporting automobile. One could certainly suggest that since rear doors are nothing but a compromise benefiting only the passengers, they don't belong on a sports car, and any car so equipped is not, by rule of exclusion, a "sports car," despite any other similarities. I think the main defining rule is a "sports car" is geared towards driving and driver. Back seats and a passenger side door are merely the trappings of a street car, if you will, similar to license plates and bumpers. You can't expect to sell a car these days without them, so there they are. Some "sports cars" may be more stripped than others, but none have a pick-up bed and four or more doors, with third-row seating.

I'd always argue that sedans are never "sports cars," no matter how fast they might be. But not all 2 seat coupes are sports cars, or we'd be calling pick-ups "sports cars." There is no need for a car to be uncomfortable or obnoxious in order to be a "sports car," no matter how many inthe past happened to be that way.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saki GT,May 16 2006, 11:01 AM
Practicality and convenience suffer as a result of making a car more sporting, but removing these things doesn't make a car a sports car. According to this logic, if I take a Yugo and remove tha back seats and power windows, you have a sports car!
You may have a point, but do you think the inverse is also true? Say I add a host of luxo-amenities to the S2000, does that make it a luxury car? I don't think it does. The article was aiming in the right direction with the description of a sports car. For the most part, you DO sacrifice comfort and convenience to drive a sports car. The S2000 gives up a lot of things to be as fun as it is.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:58 PM

No, its just too hard to define, so there's not really any point in trying. Wikipedia is good for the general idea, but look at the revision history of Wikipedia definitions - its like this thread on a whole new level.

Don't look to hard at it, and the definition is simple. Btw, the S2000 doesn't give things up, it just doesn't have them included!
Old 05-16-2006, 02:02 PM

[QUOTE=Saki GT,May 16 2006, 10:01 AM]
I have a hard time believing that two extra "seats" as are found in many sports cars changes the whole deinition of the car.

So a Porsche 911 is not a sports car?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:17 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I like Road and Track's definition:

"It should be as graceful as a beautiful women, lithe as a panther, slick
as a gigolo's hair, flexible as a broken runner, accelerate like a rocket,
be painted like a cockatoo, and sing like a bird at speed." "What is a
Sports Car" June 1948

Obviously, "accelerate like a rocket" is subjective, especially considering the time period it was written, but the rest seems pretty good to me.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:43 PM

I wish defining a sports car was as easy as picking out a sports bike.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,May 16 2006, 05:17 PM
I like Road and Track's definition:

"It should be as graceful as a beautiful women, lithe as a panther, slick
as a gigolo's hair, flexible as a broken runner, accelerate like a rocket,
be painted like a cockatoo, and sing like a bird at speed." "What is a
Sports Car" June 1948

Obviously, "accelerate like a rocket" is subjective, especially considering the time period it was written, but the rest seems pretty good to me.
You should put that in the Wikipedia entry.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,May 16 2006, 03:37 PM
You should put that in the Wikipedia entry.
I didn't write it. Otherwise I would.

Quick Reply: What is a sports car really?!