Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What other cars have a pointless dual exhaust?

Old 02-10-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe its for looks as well ..

but here is the mind boggling question ... if it's for looks then what about those cars with dual exhausts, but the tips are so small its almost not noticeable ..
Old 02-10-2009, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TSX
Old 02-10-2009, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Elistan,Feb 10 2009, 05:14 PM
I agree. I saw one on the street yesterday and the stacked exhaust tips just looked silly.
IIRC the quad tips are not even attached to the exhaust. They are part of the rear bumper
Old 02-10-2009, 04:18 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Already been addressed, but anyway...
Originally Posted by Jakup,Feb 10 2009, 02:18 PM
If you just cut the two mufflers off, or the whole exhaust from the split back, you don't really gain any power.
Precisely. Two decent-sized mufflers gives a lot of sound deadening without restricting flow much.

Point being: if they continued to run a single pipe to the back, it wouldn't have lost any more power, or necessarily had to be louder.
You're logic evades me here. Run just one of the stock mufflers and you will most likely get more noise and will certainly get greater flow resistance. Consider the mufflers two equal resistors in parallel. Remove one and resistance doubles.

Furthermore, I'm sure bigger, more powerful engines (hence more noise) have been made with a single exhaust that aren't louder than the S2K.
It's all about volume, and the layout of the underbody of the car. My old 4th-gen Z28 (285hp) had a giant single muffler. The layout of the S2k provides spaces on either side of the car for two smaller mufflers.

And I haven't driven a stock-exhaust S2K in quite some time, but if I remember correctly the stock exhaust isn't the most quiet of production cars: it seemed tuned to have a nice, sporty sound.
Also a design goal/requirement, I'm sure, but imo my stock '01 is pretty quiet.

Thus I wouldn't say there was a threshold of sound they couldn't surpass, and the only way to do so was stick another muffler on it.
Of course there is a threshold of noise level they didn't want to exceed, for governmental regulations and for the consumer (most of whom, myself included, don't want their street cars terribly loud).

So I'd conclude it is mostly for looks, and maybe they liked the sound it made better, but certainly not necessary for the power/level of sound required.
The overall design layout of the car was such that it was a better compromise for them to get the required muffler volume using two smaller mufflers rather than one bigger muffler. It is entirely possible that the desire to have two outlets factored into the equation as well, but they certainly did not just throw on another muffler (which costs money, takes up space, and adds weight) "for looks".
Old 02-10-2009, 05:08 PM

I like the dual look on the Mugen Civic RR.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jakup,Feb 10 2009, 02:18 PM
I doubt that.
True that there isn't really any aftermarket single exhaust that is quiet. But think of it this way: most (or all) of the flow reduction in the S2K exhaust is pre-split (i.e. from the header, esp. the cat, et cetera). If you just cut the two mufflers off, or the whole exhaust from the split back, you don't really gain any power. Point being: if they continued to run a single pipe to the back, it wouldn't have lost any more power, or necessarily had to be louder.
Furthermore, I'm sure bigger, more powerful engines (hence more noise) have been made with a single exhaust that aren't louder than the S2K. And I haven't driven a stock-exhaust S2K in quite some time, but if I remember correctly the stock exhaust isn't the most quiet of production cars: it seemed tuned to have a nice, sporty sound. Thus I wouldn't say there was a threshold of sound they couldn't surpass, and the only way to do so was stick another muffler on it.

So I'd conclude it is mostly for looks, and maybe they liked the sound it made better, but certainly not necessary for the power/level of sound required.
Ok. I have no idea what you're talking about doot.

Just for reference, here's a photo of the stock exhaust from an AP1 I believe:

Old 02-10-2009, 05:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quad exhausts are STOOPID!

Duals are asthetically more pleasant looking and are to enhance the look of the cars motif.