Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

what are the opinions on Yamaha R6?

Old 09-15-2004, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are the opinions on Yamaha R6?

hi guys i just found a great deal on this 2001 red YAMAHA YZF R6
im thinking about buying it in few days.....
has 7800 miles and clean title
but the thing is i never rode a bike before whatsoever
this is gonna be my first time bike
people told me i should start with other cheap slow bike but i really like to get this
what do u think??
of course im gonna take the driving school and im not even gonna mess around while im on it....
give me some advices!! thanks in advance
Old 09-16-2004, 02:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

big mistake IMO...it's really sluggish at lower rpms, and has a big hit aroud 9K rpm IIRC from my days of owning one. Def. NOT a beginner bike!

I thought mine was an awesome track bike (best I'd ever ridden on track till recently sampling an '04 GSXR750), but not such a great street bike. It was reasonably comfortable, but the powerband encouraged me to keep it in the powerband from 9 - 16K rpms.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, buy a SV650...assuming you take your time learning in an orderly manner, you'll have plenty of time to work your way up to faster bikes down the road.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:23 PM

If you're just set on the R6 I can't blame you it's a great looking bike. While i don't feel it's the ideal beginner's bike, you could, with a discretionary right hand, learn to ride it safely. The riding position is definitely not the most comfortable, and you could easily wind up with tendinitis in your wrist or knees.

On the lack of low range power, I weigh in at 190+ and I don't consider it to be lacking power under 9k revs, and you probably wouldn't notice unless you were with another bike.

Look over this bike really carefully. If you can, take it to a mechanic like you would with a car.

Bump for the SV650, you could probably ride it on a winding stretch of road quicker than an R6 with it's midrange and higher handlebars. It should be more comfortable for any ride lasting more than 30 minutes.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:07 PM

I learned to ride on a 2001 Yamaha R6. It was a fantastic bike to learn on. The fact that it doesn't have neck wrenching acceleration below 9000 RPM was probably the best thing about the bike when I was learning. This bike is leap years ahead of the SV 650 in every aspect, except for maybe comfort. But having said that, the ergonomics on the 2001 R6 were very comfy and I rode the bike many times on 400 mile stretches with no issues.

The R6 is also a lot lighter and more flickable than and SV650, a perfect combination for a new rider.

There is no way that a SV650 could hang with a 2001 R6, given that both riders had the same ability. The SV650 is a simple, cheap econo-bike with hardly any suspension adjustability and much much less horespower. The R6 is a supersport 600cc bike that will hand the SV 650 is a$$ on any road.

One other thing to consider. The SV650 will last you about a season. After about one season you will be ready to upgrade to a faster more capable bike as you will be tired of your friends leaving you behind on their sportbikes. An R6 will give you a few years of riding pleasure.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:06 PM

so, uhh, slick...have you ever really ridden an svs? what do you do when you ride, hop on the interstate and go WOT?

on the street, limits aren't tested...maybe personal limits if you let your not so bright side take over, but definitely not the limits of a bike, no matter who you are. when i had my svs, i could ride the balls off of it. i've had a guy on a 750 wad his bike up trying to keep up with me. i have stuck to the ass of many liter bikes/super sports on a stock as a rock svs. only disadvantage svs's have are that they are down on power and have a terrible front end. send your forks into racetech and if your still complaining, get a vfr.

i now have a gsxr 600 (and race 2 aprilia RS250's)
Old 09-17-2004, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's a great bike, and looks good. Just becareful, and get the gear, and most important........get a pair of sliders installed!!

Old 09-17-2004, 10:06 PM

So uh, Racer, i think you missed my point. I stated that the R6 will outhandle and outdrag an SV650, both riders being of equal ability! Are you telling me that the SV650 is in the same class as the R6 in terms of peformance? Why does Suzuki need a 600cc supersport then? C'mon. Get real. And stop throwing insults!

But we are getting off topic. I feel that the R6 is a better beginner bike because its lighter and has a "lack" of power at lower rpm. Furthermore, as the beginner rider becomes more experienced, he/she will appreciate the more advanced nature of the R6.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slicksilver,Sep 18 2004, 12:06 AM
So uh, Racer, i think you missed my point. I stated that the R6 will outhandle and outdrag an SV650, both riders being of equal ability! Are you telling me that the SV650 is in the same class as the R6 in terms of peformance? Why does Suzuki need a 600cc supersport then? C'mon. Get real. And stop throwing insults!

But we are getting off topic. I feel that the R6 is a better beginner bike because its lighter and has a "lack" of power at lower rpm. Furthermore, as the beginner rider becomes more experienced, he/she will appreciate the more advanced nature of the R6.
It may not be an R6 but you get my point. It's all about the rider.

http://www.svrider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=28724

Also, an R6 is by no means a "beginner bike" and shouldn't even be associated with the word beginner. Give me and this individual a break. You even use the word advanced describing it.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iwant2byS2k,Sep 16 2004, 01:29 AM
hi guys i just found a great deal on this 2001 red YAMAHA YZF R6
im thinking about buying it in few days.....
has 7800 miles and clean title
but the thing is i never rode a bike before whatsoever
this is gonna be my first time bike
people told me i should start with other cheap slow bike but i really like to get this
what do u think??
of course im gonna take the driving school and im not even gonna mess around while im on it....
give me some advices!! thanks in advance
What's the asking price?
Old 09-18-2004, 10:43 AM

Whoa. I should stop participating in this forum. It really is pointless.

I said that the R6 is a more advanced bike technologically. Stop taking my comments out of context.

I also said that if we take two riders of equal ability, the R6 will outperform an SV650. Honda 606 however chooses to default back to the usual S2Ki argument that its all about the rider/driver.

Riders being equal, the R6 is a faster bike. Period.

And are you actually telling me that if we take the same rider and have him lap a circuit on a stock R6 and then do so on a stock SV650, his lap times will be the same?

Arguments like this belong in the "My S killed a 996TT" realm. Basically in Lalaland.

When comparing two objects, one tries to introduce the least amount of variability in one's comparison. In the case of a motorcycle, yes its all about the rider. But we're NOT comparing riders, we're comparing bikes, so don't even mention the rider.

Sheesh.

Quick Reply: what are the opinions on Yamaha R6?