Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What modern era cars will become classics?

Old 02-17-2005, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MK IV Supra
AE86 Corolla
NSX (especially the Zanardi edition)
ITR (fewer than 4000 over 4 years, and prob less than 3000 still intact and unmolested)
E30 M3
S2000 (I think the 00-03 would be more desirable)
SLP Firehawk
1992 Sentra SE-R
FD3S RX-7
ACR Neon
ACR Viper
Old 02-17-2005, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by dispader' date='Feb 17 2005, 10:04 AM
I'd vote for the last gen RX-7. That car is still beautiful today. Just have to find one stock or without a blown engine...
I'd second that one. It's going to get harder and harder to find them unmodified. Probably only another five years before the price creeps up above what they cost new.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:31 PM

i would say:
bmw z8 (i am so suprised only one person mentioned this so far)
3rd gen rx7
mkiv supra
nsx (zanardi for sure)
less common vettes (i.e. z06)
elise & exige & 340r
the 4 door m3 (not sure of bmw model designations)
first gen m3
first viper
possibly s2000
porsche boxster s
buick grand national

IMO there are two things to consider with cars from the 80s and up in terms of being classic. One is the longer life of the bodies because they are made of plastic. A big part of vettes and the like being valuable today is the body condition, which shouldnt be much of an issue with newer cars because they are less prone to rust. I believe this will make mass produced vehicles (i.e. regular vettes) less rare and therefore less collectible b/c fewer things can go wrong on their own on these cars.

However, as others have mentioned the electronics will be interesting. I think it could go two ways. One is that complex electronics in good shape will be exceedingly rare & therefore more valuable. The other is that they will be viewed as elementary and detract from the purity of the car. What do I mean by that? Well older cars are generally loved for their simplicity and unadulterated driving experience. From what I know most older cars filled with gizmos and gadgets from their day are less deisreable than ones that were just "pure cars". If this trend holds then todays cars with traction control and idrive and things will be viewed as undesireable, while a "pure" car like the s2000 will be desireable. Really at this point it's speculation. In my opinion the cars with electronics that aid driving won't be affected by this but cars with electronic accessories (i.e. BMW's idrive, gps systems, onstart, etc.) will be less desireable b/c they will be viewed as a nuisance by the standards of the future. I mean does an 8-track add value or detract value from a muscle car? It will be interesting to watch though
my 2 cents
Old 02-17-2005, 05:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadr35' date='Feb 17 2005, 12:44 PM
BMW Z8
I agree. The BMW Z8 and the Dodge Viper are two cars that were styling and performance exhibitions and will be classics.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love to find a mint condition E30 M3 in Alpine White....1991 model year. Perfect car....I love the M3.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:56 PM

I really only think that there are but a few possible classics out there
and in this order:

1. GNX Grand National
2. Trans Am MY89 w/ GN engine
3. Grand National
4. Supra TT
5. Last MY of the TA/Z28 with all the bells and whistles.

Good topic of discussion
Old 02-17-2005, 06:17 PM

Some of you guys have interesting choices- i.e. sentra's, neon's, Integra's. I seriously doubt it.

I think everybody is just listing THEIR favorite car list. Its easy to list every F-car, or P-car.

Let's try to refocus. None of us will have a collection like Jay Leno. Instead of listing 10 cars. Lets limit it.

****IF YOU COULD PICK ONLY 1 SPORTSCAR, and ONLY 1 SEDAN/COUPE TO DEFINE YOUR COLLECTION. What 2 cars would it be?

I like the recommendation for the E500. That is a great choice.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by MDXLuvr' date='Feb 17 2005, 09:17 PM
Some of you guys have interesting choices- i.e. sentra's, neon's, Integra's. I seriously doubt it.

I think everybody is just listing THEIR favorite car list. Its easy to list every F-car, or P-car.

Let's try to refocus. None of us will have a collection like Jay Leno. Instead of listing 10 cars. Lets limit it.

****IF YOU COULD PICK ONLY 1 SPORTSCAR, and ONLY 1 SEDAN/COUPE TO DEFINE YOUR COLLECTION. What 2 cars would it be?

I like the recommendation for the E500. That is a great choice.
I believe your post was mainly directed at my list, as I included the Sentra SE-R, Integra Type R and Neon ACR.

I truly believe those cars will become classics. If you don't agree, that's fine. It's not necessarily my favorite car list - I'd never own a Neon of any variety, for instance, but do a little reading on what the ACR Neon is, and it'll make more sense why it might become a classic or collectible many years down the road.

The SE-R, ITR and ACR are based on econo cars, true enough. A car doesn't have to cost $70,000 to become a classic.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by NYCS2' date='Feb 17 2005, 06:56 PM
2. Trans Am MY89 w/ GN engine
I hope not. It would really make me regret selling mine to get an S2000.

(Beautiful car, just didn't think it would make it through a second hundred thousand miles.)
Old 02-17-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Warren J. Dew' date='Feb 17 2005, 09:56 PM
I hope not. It would really make me regret selling mine to get an S2000.

(Beautiful car, just didn't think it would make it through a second hundred thousand miles.)
Is that the GTA? I had a ride in one of those way back when. Great car!

Quick Reply: What modern era cars will become classics?