Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What to look out for on a used bike?

Old 11-17-2010, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look out for on a used bike?

Hey, fellas, I'm going to be taking the MSF course some time in December after my current college semester ends, and I plan on purchasing a sportbike as a daily driver shortly after because I don't want to keep putting too many miles on my S2000 CR. Plus, the bike will get a hell of a lot better gas mileage, saving me money at the pump.
I've been looking into Kawasaki Ninja 250Rs because they're relatively cheap brand new and even cheaper used, but since I don't know too much about motorcycles, I was wondering if you guys can give tips on what I should be looking into when purchasing a used bike.

Also, I'd like to say that I'm glad I read into bikes and stalked streetbike forums because I now know that a novice rider should definitely not be riding something with 650cc+ engines. I was really into the Honda CBR1000 but soon decided it'd be better for me to go with a weaker engine, especially since I just need a bike for transportation of myself that acheives great gas mileage, not something that does 0-60 in supercar range.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:15 AM

you might want to look for something a little bigger. You will get bored/grow out of the 250 ninja real fast. try to find an older 600rr or F4i, or if you looking for something a little more comfortable the Honda 599. As for what to look for, obviously crash damage will be evident. It will be a little harder to see how well it was taken care of. Dealer receipts for service would be nice but I assume most bikers are like me and do most of the work ourselves. And dont be too concerned with bikes with more miles then most. My f4i has almost 60k on it and runs perfect, trust me that bike dont know what an easy day is when im behind the controls, from service roads on one wheel down to chasing DR400s through the woods lol.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My CBR1000RR Gets me 32-38 combined MPG when ridden normally, and short shifting. My last track day netted me 26 mpg, and a really long road trip netted me about 46 MPG. I think the 250's are in the 50's under normal usage.

The 250's are a good starter bike, and if you're buying used there's not much to lose since they really don't depreciate that much if you buy them second hand. If you buy a used 06 250R for $2500 there's a pretty good chance you can sell it 2 years from now for close to the same. After a while a working motorcylce just stops losing value.

I'd look for signs of neglect primarily. That can usually cost more than residual damage from crashes. Worn, unmaintained kinked chains with tight spots. Worn sprockets, Check fluids. Check wheels for bends, make sure guages, lights work. I check for physical damage, but You're really looking for damage to the frame, subframe, and swingarm.

Cosmetic damage to bar ends, pegs, engine cases, bodywork I usually just ask what happened. I don't automaticaly assume wreck. We've all dropped our bikes so I don't make too much out of cosmetic damage.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I always tell people to take the MSF class before deciding to get a 250 vs a 500. After a couple days of riding 250s, you will probably feel comfortable enough to find a nice used 500-600 for about the same money as a used 250.

As for looking over a used bike, different things come to mind depending on age and if its fuel injected or not, but look for neglect and damage, like posted above. When a bike falls over, it gets dented, when a bike goes down at speed, it gets scraped, and when it hits something, it gets bent, so if you see any damage, pay notice to the type of damage and the story you're being fed. Just because a bike has been over doesn't mean its bad, and I wouldn't assume any used bike had never been down. Bikes can be repaired pretty easily, so look for new or new looking parts as well. And when you test ride the bike, or even just sit on it, make sure the handlebars are straight.

The forks shouldn't be wet, the cylinders not pitted, the chain should be tight, clean, or at least not gritty and covered in dirt. Check the sprockets for wear - that can give you an idea of how the bike was used and life left on those parts. The tires are a big tell as well as to how the bike is ridden. You should be able to read the serial number on the frame. Be wary f stickers and decals - people like to cover damage with them if they are on painted surfaces.

Fwiw, my 919 gets 45 mph riding normally - I've never thought about babying it, but I don't race it on the streets either.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a used Ninja 250, ride it for a year or two and then sell it. The resale is so good on these things you'll likely make money and have no trouble selling it. Then when you get your next bike you'll have a better idea of what you want.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:22 PM

My cube-neighbor started with an older Honda 125 and recently moved up to a Ninja 250R. I think the front suspension is soft for a big guy (lots of dive) but it is otherwise a good bike. Sexy design. You don't have to worry about stunters damaging the front end (not so easy to wheelie).

If you shop hard and don't over-pay you won't regret buying the 250 even if you trade up.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:33 PM

Guys that say you will "grow out" of the Ninja 250 fast have never ridden one.

It is probably one of the most fun bikes to carve on. Sort of like a two-wheeled Miata. If you want a bit of a bump in power but still a noob friendly bike, I highly recommend an SV650.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:11 PM

My wife and I went to the closest Kawasaki dealership earlier today and checked out the Ninja 250R. If you think that bike is sexy in pictures, you'll want to **** the exhaust pipe if you see it in person. They had two 250Rs, one in green/black/white and the other in red/black, and both were going for $4,199. The wifey loved the 250R in green, but she was smitten by a blue bike... I can't remember the name. Maybe it was the ER-6n. I took pics but I don't have the camera with me, so I'll just check it out later.

Originally Posted by fastkx125
You will get bored/grow out of the 250 ninja real fast.
Well, I haven't even learned how to ride a bike. I can't say 100% whether or not I will get bored of it. All novice riders are different with their experiences, so there's a chance that the 250R may be enough of a bike for me for the first few years of my riding experience. I will definitely look into alternatives, but after seeing the bike in person, I have a hard time concentrating on anything else.

Originally Posted by dammitjim
Get a used Ninja 250, ride it for a year or two and then sell it.
That was my plan originally, but I may just opt for a brand new one. I'm not sure yet.

Originally Posted by urBan_dK
Sort of like a two-wheeled Miata.
Why would you say that?! You almost made me not want to buy the bike just now!

jk
Old 11-17-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by UmarS2K,Nov 17 2010, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by urBan_dK
Sort of like a two-wheeled Miata.
Why would you say that?! You almost made me not want to buy the bike just now!

jk
You think ppl look fruity driving the Miata, imagine putting around on a little 250R - that thing is tiny!

But it's a blast! Don't knock it till you try it. Nothing like passing crotch rockets in some good twisties.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:20 PM

I remember the other bike now. It was the ZX6.

And no, I don't plan on buying it. It might be a bit too quick for a beginner bike.

Quick Reply: What to look out for on a used bike?