Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

what the honda fit should be

Old 06-06-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not like the fit is safe. In a vacuum it's safe sure, but in the real world...good luck. That is why I had to laugh in the thread about a car for your wife to drive your new baby around when someone mentioned the Fit..wtf. I am not going to argue about what we should get rid of huge SUV's or small, efficient cars because that isn't the point. The state of the roads in America are, what they are, and you have to protect yourself. It's not as bad up here in Oregon as it was in Texas, but still the fit...not with my wife and baby! The smart car is non-sensical in the US unless you live in the city on the east coast. SF might be the only west coast city where it would work.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lyndon_h,Jun 6 2006, 06:23 AM
There is almost a 900lb difference between the fit and smart. Plus the Fit has side airbags. These differences make survival in the Fit much more likely than in the Smart. Of course, you are dead in either one if the SUV has a high velocity.
The Smart has side airbags too. There are a lot of safety features built into the Smart so it's not as unsafe as you may think, in theory.

Neither the Fit nor the Smart were designed for US roads, and neither were designed to withstand a collision with an Escalade.

My point was that if you're looking for safety, you're looking at the wrong class of car.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:28 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

anyone remember the video of the smart car being tested hitting a concrete wall at 70. it held up amazingly well. the occupants wold have certainly lived.

now getting hit by a more massive vehicle is a different story, but the same can be said about any small vehicle.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:16 PM

i've seen that smart car on the road last week. ugly imo. i'll take a fit over that any day. the fit is faster than an integra LS too.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I see that the Fit did recieve a five star crash test rating from the feds, even though I am beating a dead horse on the safety issue. I think it comes down to what you like.

You can twist my arm all you like, I would never drive a Tahoe, Suburban, Hummer H-anything, Sequoia, Expedition, etc because they have absolutely zero appeal to me and actually register a negative in my mind. But the people that like those types of cars would say the exact same about the Fit. Now the Fit is not for me but I can see why it has appeal and is a damn fine car in that segment.

Anybody have any published sales figures? I would think they should sell pretty well. It is about time car companies have the cajones to sell small cars here, for years we were told nobody would buy them and I was always wanting these neat options to be sold here but you could only get them in europe or japan.

It did not even take the extremely high gas prices for cars like Scions and bugs, and Mini's to fly off dealer lots. Surprise!!!!! Some people wanted them.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:48 PM

The Fit is selling very well. Honda will easily sell every one that they make. Which kinda sucks since that means very little discounting.

Honda Fit May 2006 Sales:

Honda Fit April 2006 Sales (from 4-20 to 4-30):

With regards to safety, the Fit scored 5 stars for frontal impact; 5 stars front side, but only 3 stars for rear side. I am disappointed in the rear side impact score; hopefully the next gen Fit will improve that portion.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by corey415,Jun 7 2006, 01:48 PM
The Fit is selling very well. Honda will easily sell every one that they make. Which kinda sucks since that means very little discounting.

Honda Fit May 2006 Sales:

Honda Fit April 2006 Sales (from 4-20 to 4-30):

With regards to safety, the Fit scored 5 stars for frontal impact; 5 stars front side, but only 3 stars for rear side. I am disappointed in the rear side impact score; hopefully the next gen Fit will improve that portion.
These sales would be MUCH higher if they were more available. I have been waiting for one to come in to just test drive for a month and a half.

Is it a fact that the Fit is faster than the Integra LS or just an assumption? I had an LS and it was pretty fast for what it is. I have not seen performance specs on the Fit yet.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:01 PM

I dont think Honda plans to increase production. They dont want to hurt Civic sales, which is another new Honda that is doing very well and also generates more money due to a larger profit margin.

C&D timed the Fit Sport 5MT at 0-60 mph in 8.7 seconds. I dont know how fast a 5MT Integra LS (94-01) does the same.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by corey415,Jun 7 2006, 10:01 PM
I dont think Honda plans to increase production. They dont want to hurt Civic sales, which is another new Honda that is doing very well and also generates more money due to a larger profit margin.

C&D timed the Fit Sport 5MT at 0-60 mph in 8.7 seconds. I dont know how fast a 5MT Integra LS (94-01) does the same.
That makes sense about takin sales from the civic. I was just saying that Honda could sell more if they wanted too proving that it is a successful car for Honda.

I too am not sure what the Teg LS does 0-60 but it seemed alot aster than that Does anyone know the specs of the Teg LS 94-01? Damn it, if I could just get one to test drive I wouldnt need this info. I know the Fit is not a speed demon like they say but I want to see if it is at least fun to drive.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:39 PM

I can only find the specs on the GsR Integra. 0-60 in the GsR is 6.5 or so. That is 190 HP compared to the 147 HP in the LS so I would say that the Integra LS is probably pretty close to the 8.7 0-60 that the fit does

Quick Reply: what the honda fit should be