Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What happened to t-tops?

Old 04-29-2005, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The NSX is targa top... not t-top, but just the same IMO. I LOVED the t-tops on my MR2 turbo... they werent that bad in the sun or winter either... they had covers that could go over the inside of the glass or you could take those off and leave the tops on. I wish a japanese manufacturer would make a nice turbo sports car with ttops again. No for American t-tops tho.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i think t-top help to alleviate the chassis bending that comes up with a full targa, but t-tops also exasperate twisting problems, though.

i think since t-tops require removal of 2 panels, and a targa only requires one, cars that go this route choose the targa top. As long as the do the required reinforcement to the floor plan, it works.

since most cars are FWD today, they have no significant longitudinal tunnel. with RWD cars, that tunnel made the car ridid. With a more flat FWD car, cutting out the roof really created a log of problems.

The only targa FWD car I can think of is the Del Sol. Nice in concept, but the chassis flexibility really makes them squeak and creak.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can only think of a few cars that had fwd t-tops...pulsar...hmmm maybe that 's it.
i think that's probably because they only came in sports cars
Old 04-30-2005, 04:21 PM

I had a 90 Supra with a targa top, it was my first car. I still miss it to this day.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:37 PM

i'll add another one to the MR2 turbo...

i own one w/ t-tops...i had a N/A w/ t-tops as well.....

very cool option to have in the summer...girls like them as well,

the only bad thing about them: on both my MR2's the t-top leaks...and on both it was on the passenger side.....
Old 05-01-2005, 07:00 PM

1995 del Sol Si: targa top with roll down rear windshield. Talk about chassis flex!!! However, I would still drive in the Ozarks, especially HWY 7, had great fun, top-less! And, the roof NEVER leaked!!! Hard to compete in SCCA Solo II with such body flex; especially as I was forced to remove the roof because of similar stories of American cars dumping their tops during the course! Still have it; but will become my daughter's. It's a "chick car."

ric
Romans 8: 31
Old 05-02-2005, 01:27 AM

ttops/targas are just a pain in the butt, period. hell, we put down other convertible tops that take longer to put up/down than ours, so how much more annoying do you think it is to have to park your car, get out of your car, remove the panels, store them in the trunk/hatch, get back into your car, and drive away??
Old 05-02-2005, 11:34 AM

well the problem with convertibles is that they aren't very attractive by and large with the top up. the t-tops and targa keep the smooth look of the coupe with a top open feeling. plus t-tops and some targas offer a glass roof that so you can look up and see the sky even with the top on. try that in the convertible.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by sodaking663rd,May 2 2005, 11:34 AM
well the problem with convertibles is that they aren't very attractive by and large with the top up. the t-tops and targa keep the smooth look of the coupe with a top open feeling. plus t-tops and some targas offer a glass roof that so you can look up and see the sky even with the top on. try that in the convertible.
c'mon, one can easily make the counter argument: you can never get a full top down experience with a targa/t-top... also, one can opt for a hardtop convertible like the slk if he/she doesn't like the way softtops look when they are up. of course there are disadvantages to having a hardtop convertible as well, but at least you don't have to deal with the inconvience of having to get in and out of your car just to put the top away. heck, with the last generation pulsars and first generation 4-runners, one can completely remove the hatch, as well as the targa top to attain a full top down experience, but how many people actually do that on a regular basis?? in this age where power windows and power door locks are "must have" amenities, the inconvience of a targa/t-top is just not very appealing to the average consumer, which is more or less what drives the decision making of auto makers.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie,May 2 2005, 01:27 AM
ttops/targas are just a pain in the butt, period. hell, we put down other convertible tops that take longer to put up/down than ours, so how much more annoying do you think it is to have to park your car, get out of your car, remove the panels, store them in the trunk/hatch, get back into your car, and drive away??
i dont mind them at all, I just turn the car on, pop the trunk and sacrifice about 45 seconds of my life removing them.

good call on not getting that convertible look, while sustaining the coupe look. I just dont like the look of verts, blah! sorry!

both good arguments, either way they should be an option.

what i do like is the caddy XLR, SLK's, SC430, and other cars that hide their tops, although adding weight and loosing space, its nice to have both a vert and a coupe.

Quick Reply: What happened to t-tops?