Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What is the general policy on a deposit on a car?

Old 05-17-2008, 03:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt,May 14 2008, 05:07 PM
Sorry, I'm with the dealer on this one.

The smart thing would have been for the salesman to locate the car she wanted ;now they've lost customers for life

....and I mean customers, because she will tell everyone she knows,hell I know now and if I have family in the area I'd tell them to steer clear of this dealership for sure

In the internet age with so much info at one's finger tips it's wise for any company to do it's best to maintain strong customer service and go beyond the customer's expectations

That "stealership" has failed that customer and has potentionally many more with it's very shortsided practice

Mr. Honda would not approve
Old 08-09-2008, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure of Ny laws, but I do know, she is legally entitled to a copy of the contract, them not supplying one is illegal, they could say they will mail it to her, but still she is entitled to it. She should have gotten something in writing when she made the deposit, if she truly didnt, then the transaction is null and void, they have to disclose in writing the terms, within a certain amount of time, like 2 days about.

Next best thing to do is, to call her credit card company, they are there for you , not the stores you go to. If she is in good standing, she can call them up, explain the situation, and more than likely, 80% of the time, they will take the charge off, for a fee of like 50 bux maybe, but they can do that. Credit card companies help us in these situations (which they should after all that interest is being paid)
Old 08-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Same thing happened to me at While Plains Honda in NY. They would not give it back so I contacted Honda USA and reported the dealership and filed a complaint with the BBB. Two days later I had my money back.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:59 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

The dealership will give it back. In most states, they can't keep it. A few calls to Honda USA will get it back in a hurry. If all else fails, call the better business bureau. Better yet, stand outside their dealership with a bullhorn and a sign that says "Stealership - do not enter!"...
Old 08-17-2008, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate that dealership. I bought my S2000 there and will never take it to that dealership for anything.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:56 PM

Honda Corporate, Better Business Bureau, and Local TV News Station. Contact all 3.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In NY a deposit is 100% refundable. This is when NON lawyers draw up contracts, they are useless. The word deposit does NOT hold in NY courts. Judges are always more lenient towards the person suing, rather than the big corporation/dealership. In this instance, I believe she didn't sign any papers on actually purchasing the car, and she didn't actually cause the dealer any financial damages.

If you want money to hold something, you need to use the word RETAINER, not deposit. If this is on paper, and she signed that she is buying the car, she can't do a thing about it. If she just gave them money to hold the car for her, and she backed out, they have to give it back. Get a lawyer and get it back.

On a side note, NorthShore Honda screwed me the OTHER way around. I was looking for a red s2000 back in 2003, and they had ONE. I came in, and offered to put down a deposit on it, and I would be back tomorrow with the rest of the money. They said it's fine, it will still be here, then the next day, I get a phone call that it sold. Based on the "deposit" law, I should be able to sue them for that. It's a two way street.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:04 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

We have a thread for bad dealerships - https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=272481
Old 08-18-2008, 06:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the help guys, they eventually did refund the money after quite a few calls and annoying counter offers.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by starbai,Aug 18 2008, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the help guys, they eventually did refund the money after quite a few calls and annoying counter offers.
thats the only way to get what u want, u have to annoy the shit out of them. i went through this before, i just called amex and they did all the leg work for me. i love amex

Quick Reply: What is the general policy on a deposit on a car?