Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What is a garage queen to you? Why own one?

Old 04-06-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

My challenge straddle is garage queen. It gets driven to meets, on weekends, or in the mountains. It attracts too much attention to be left alone outside for 10-12 hours while I'm at work (I have public parking). Fun car but totally impractical.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT3/CS.. These are garage queen worthy. It makes more sense to not drive them for a multitude of reasons. An S2000 or some other generic, usable, mass produced car - no.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Not sure if those pictures will display. Here is a thread with a lot of pics from the time I was trying to get it finished up, with some added at the end while I was at a car show:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/553...#entry23404734
Old 04-06-2016, 09:59 AM

My GT4 is a garage queen. It's obviously not an exotic, but I still don't want to deal with questions about it and I'm paranoid about leaving it in the parking lot.

There are other reasons -- I used to DD an M3. My work is very close to home and that car didn't even get warmed up before I got to work. The car definitely did not like that and it started to get temperamental.

When you save the car for the weekends, or nice days -- it makes driving the car that much more of an event. You don't get easily bored with it, and it's not associated with the banality of commuting.

Also - you avoid heavy traffic and idiot drivers looking to ruin your car.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:07 AM

[quote name='Legal Bill' timestamp='1459965540' post='23930177']
[URL=http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/wericars/media/2012-02-16_20-38-14_708_zps91ce8a93.jpg.html][/URL
Love this.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:36 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Rnye, I see where you're coming from, and I, in principle, think it's lame to have a car that just sits. But there's a difference between the old man who parks his car in the garage and doesn't have the balls to push it, ever, and someone who just doesn't have the free time to do it.

I have friends who own nice guns and treat them like they're made of gold. When I go to my redneck wannabe army training sessions, I run my guns hard and treat them like the tools that they are. I don't care if the finish gets scratched. I mostly feel that way about cars, but, just like my guns, it's hard for me to find time to take them out of the closet 'cuz I got a J.O.B. Haha.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Rnye, I see where you're coming from, and I, in principle, think it's lame to have a car that just sits. But there's a difference between the old man who parks his car in the garage and doesn't have the balls to push it, ever, and someone who just doesn't have the free time to do it.

I have friends who own nice guns and treat them like they're made of gold. When I go to my redneck wannabe army training sessions, I run my guns hard and treat them like the tools that they are. I don't care if the finish gets scratched. I mostly feel that way about cars, but, just like my guns, it's hard for me to find time to take them out of the closet 'cuz I got a J.O.B. Haha.
I always envision being the old man who's owned that mint 40 year old car since new on the back corner of the garage.. reality sets in and that won't happen (unless it's a Murcielago). It's the real "garage queen" people Im talking about - the ones that wipe their POS (relatively speaking) with a diaper and don't let anyone sit in it/touch it. I also know people who own F40s, CGTs, etc and use them, regularly.

It's obvious which camp I fall into.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My S2000 is my garage queen. My old garage queen was my 87 Mitsubishi Starion. Ran 19psi on a Garrett turbo. Had 82k mi when we sold it.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:08 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye
Originally Posted by FearlessFife' timestamp='1459956191' post='23929998
[quote name='rnye' timestamp='1459952995' post='23929932']
Noooope.

I don't buy cars to let them sit. If you're not using it, sell it. The only time this makes even a little sense is with exotics - namely because of the cost of consumables and less than stellar reliability. I want a Murcielago.. But 6-12k clutch jobs every 10-20k miles makes it, amongst other reasons, a crappy car for regular use.
Agree to disagree. Not everyone can use a sports car on a regular basis, but still want to own one to drive irregularly when time permits it. And that's their prerogative to own a garage queen, especially one of the most easy to maintain and afford of all fun cars ever built, the S2000.
People do stupid things all the time. There is certainly nothing stopping them.

I don't understand why, if you enjoy the S2000, it wouldn't be driven regularly. It's reliable, cheap to run and has a decent trunk for normal stuff. I basically drive the M5 when I need to throw something long in the trunk/fold down seats, or take friends to dinner or whatever. Otherwise it's always one of the two seaters. It's hardly impractical.

Withholding pleasures to keep it "fresh" feeling isn't a concept that appeals to me either. I guess that's what motivates me... when you're bored it's time for an upgrade (house/car/job/plane etc)
[/quote]

I have a two year-old. Another one on the way and arriving in September. You can make a S2000 work as a daily, but it's a pain in the ass. I can't do that because I wanted to have a family, and even if I didn't have kids, it would still be in the garage. I like the more practical Civic Si sedan I have for daily use, it's far easier to live with. At some point you grow out of the "I love having a fun car and I am gonna drive it every single day or else!!" mentality. You can call it growing old if you like, but how ever you label it you have to grow up and be practical about your car(s) at some point. I did that.

Just this past Saturday I was able to go drive the snot out of the S2000 for an hour or so. Had no particular place to be, just wanted to go drive, so I did. You appreciate the car more when you don't drive it often, and feel safer about doing so on a day and time when there is less traffic as well. Again, at some point you become practical.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:14 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

I'll take my garage queen to the track and tear the shit out of it. I'm gonna buy a trailer to make my garage queen a trailer queen, is that a step up or down?

Either way, I can enjoy my car without even driving it. I can get pleasure just looking at it, working on it, cleaning it, modding it.

Doesn't need to be driven to be appreciated.

Quick Reply: What is a garage queen to you? Why own one?