Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

what do you guys think of the Rx-8?

Old 01-07-2004, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by BBY2KS2K
...In my opinion, the major advangtages it has over the S2000 is the quietness, ride, interior design, and the fact it holds 4 people...
It depends on what you're buying the car for. I consider quietness, ride, and the fact it holds 4 people a disadvantage. There's no way I'd want those qualites in a sports car. I was considering this car as a second car. Let me say that I really wanted to like this car. I expected it to be like a 4 seater S2000. I drove my S2000 to test drive an rx8. The cars couldn't feel more different. Where the S2000 felt flat and stable, the rx8 wobbled. Where the S2000 engine was exhilerating the rx8 engine was bland. The rear seat is more for looks than anything else (my friends are mostly 6ft tall). The interior was attractive but felt cheap. The one I test drove was priced at $32k. If you're looking to buy a sports car, the rx8 is highly dissapointing. If you're looking to buy a sporty car the rx8 is highly dissapointing, at least in Minnesota where they run $32k. For $32k I'd rather pick up another S2000. I think the rx8 falls far behind the competition in that price range. However, if the rx8 was priced in the $26k range I'd reconsider because I do love how it looks. The Accord V6 Coupe, RSX, Celica gts, etc can be had for $26k all of which it think are more fun to drive than the rx8.

edit

94rexsf - I don't mean this post to sound like a flame. It doesn't mean I don't like the car, I just don't like it for me. I can see this car fitting some peoples needs, it just doesn't fit mine. Congrats though, it's a sharp looking car
Old 01-07-2004, 09:33 AM

I like the idea of the RX-8, it's kinda of a quirky semi 4-door, semi sports car thingy.

I think it's trying to be too many things to too many people.

If I want a 4 door car, give me 4 real doors. The mini rear suicide doors weren't all that cool on the Saturn, and putting them on a Mazda doesn't make them any cooler.

If I want a sports car, I want class leading performance within a given price range/segment.

I wish they had just stuck the new Rotary engine in an RX-7 replacement (or even the older FD), rather than trying to make a quasi IS-300, BMW 3 seris fighter.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SkullDeezay
Old 01-07-2004, 07:14 PM

I was passed by a silver RX-8 today. It's a nice looking car and I'd get one if I was in the market for a new car. (maybe 1 1/2-2 years from now.)
Old 01-07-2004, 07:48 PM

A little disapointed with it not to crazy about the suicide door also missing Turbo. I like the looks of it with the Buddy Club bodykit thou.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:40 PM

I drove a Rx-8 last night and I currently drive an 01 Integra Type R. I was very impressed with the Rx-8. Certainly, the car is not perfect. I didnt like the clutch because I felt that the catch point was not very progressive and the accelerator is rather stiff in my opinion. The tranny was not as smooth as the S2000's but then again few, if any cars, are. Also, I felt that the steering was kinda slow.

Now good points:
1. Despite all the talk about the car not having power, I found the power to be more than enough, albeit you can always have more. I would like the car to have a few more hp but that can be made back with Carzoomer's ECU mod which makes 20-25 hp.
2. The steering, while slow (it has a 16.4:1 ratio vs the 14.9:1 found on the 04 S2k's), was very well weighted and had no slack in it. Really liked the steering wheel
3. The tranny, while not as good as the S, was as good as any other cars' tranny.
4. The handling, while not razor sharp or completely flat, was good, especially considering the compliant ride.
5. The interior on the GT package (sunroof, stereo, Homelink, leather, heated seats) was nice. Everything felt well put together and materials, while not at the level of my friends 2001 M3, were decent for the price. If I got the car, I would probably need the GT package. The seating position was very nice; not as sporty/ low as the S but low with good frontal visibility. The shifter felt into my hand.
6. Practicality.
7. Mazda's great financing deal 0% apr for 60 months as well as heavy discounts on the car itself.

Personally, I really like the way the car looks in the dark silver, and that would be my choice for the car.

The RX-8 is currently second on my short list of cars (04 S2000, RX-8, used 330cic, 02-03 S2k, 350z Enthusiast). I think it would be a great car with some thicker sways and Carzoomer's ECU and an intake. Then again, I cant justify the fact that even after these mods, it would still be slower than an 04 s2k (going by people's experiences and UL's dyno's) so the S2k is still first esp. with the quote of $30,855 that I received.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ITR #203
I drove a Rx-8 last night and I currently drive an 01 Integra Type R.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:56 PM

I was saying the the RX-8 couldnt keep up with an 04 due to UL's findings that Backcracker's 04 made 23 hp more than your average 02-03, which make 5 more hp than your average 00-01. Granted these are dynopack numbers but I think even on dynojets (contrary to the north texas groups findings) the car will dyno at 215+, someone dynoed at 218 hp on a dynojet but that was with an intake but with low mileage. Even with 200 at the wheels, it wouldnt have enough power to keep up with an 04 in my opinion.

I saw Carzoomer's stage 2; unfortunately, I live in metro atlanta and we have emissions test and i dont wanna mess with taking off and putting back on cats. But your right, with Carzoomers stage 2, I would definately say the RX-8 would have an advantage over even a 04 S2k.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MidnightDragon
A little disapointed with it not to crazy about the suicide door also missing Turbo.
My understanding is that the turbos were what made the FD RX-7 so unreliable, so it's understandable that Mazda would be hesitant to bolt one on onto a rotary again.

Steve
Old 01-08-2004, 06:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 94rexsf

Quick Reply: what do you guys think of the Rx-8?