Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

what do you guys think of the Rx-8?

Old 01-07-2004, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea actually I know about the rx-8 (some flooding issues, etc) My question was more in line of what S2000 owners think of the S2000.

about the flooding, those incidents happen but are rare. 600 miles no flooding. None of my other rotary powered cars ever flooded. If it does flood there is a procedure to fix it.

I can tell you that driving the s2000 and driving the Rx8 there are alot of similarities. I can say that I disagree about the brakes, I felt the brakes in the rx8 were better, but I do agree about the shifter. While the shifter in the 8 is exceptional, the S2000 has the worlds best.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:09 AM
cbj

Although I haven't had the opportunity to drive one yet, I really like the concept of the RX-8. I can't think of another car which has RWD, LSD, HIDs, manual transmission, 50-50 weight distribution, decent weight/power, and that seats four people which you can buy new for under $30k. I occasionally think about changing cars and the RX-8 is on my list to drive along with some of the other usual suspects (STI, EVO, 330I, M3). I've been following the car over at Rotary-News and then at RX8forum once it got started. It has had it's share of first year problems- just like any car. The fact that Mazda screwed up the Hp ratings of one it's cars again doesn't help the car's marketability. The other problems (A/C, MPG, flooding) don't particularly concern me. Whether it will bother other people enough to keep it from becoming a financial success for Mazda is another issue. It is a niche car with a powerplant that most people are not familiar with. Like most former rotary owners I appreciate the benefits of the Wankel engine but I think most people will get caught up in the lack of torque and the poor gas mileage. Also I don't have too much faith in the dealerships having someone appropriately trained for the car. Heck I don't have that faith with my S2000 and it's a normal piston engine. Anyway glad to hear you like the car. I might have to get around to test driving one this weekend.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:14 AM

If you haven't already done so, check out this RX8 forum. Its one of the best.

http://www.rx8club.com

The RX8 is a great car. Congratulations.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:40 AM

Brutally honest:

Well before it came out I was saying "to little to late". I still say so. To be in this market, you need to come out with a little perf edge. The Rx8 came out barely competing with models in its class that have been out for years, and they are going to have to sell this model for years still. The small Mazda dealer I drive by every day still has the same 6-8 RX8's on the lot from day 1 (same report from all over the country). I have only seen a few on the road and they had dealer plates, I guess they are letting their managers drive them as work cars.

Reports are coming in about 14 mpg gas mileage.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:48 AM

I took a RX-8 for a test drive and honestly didn't like it as much as I had expected to. The shifter was nice and the engine revs very smoothly and quickly. It also has a cool whining sound. The seats and interior were great as well - very progressive and modern feeling. What sort of let me down was that although the engine revs nicely, it never really gave me a rush. To be fair, though, I am a boost junky and just love the rush of turbo cars (VTEC in the S2000 is okay but I still prefer a turbo by far). Overall, the RX-8 is a nice car, and a bargain at its price point. If you already have a RX-7 for the pure sports car thrills, then a RX-8 is a good counterpart. Congratulations on your purchase!
Old 01-07-2004, 07:52 AM

94rexsf;

I had owned two S2000s (black/red and sebring/red) so far.. Former was totaled and I sold the latter one a month ago to buy my house. Now I need more spacious car so opt for 325xi..

anyway, I was able to test drive rx-8 and drove my s2000 to and from the dealer, so I can compare them quite well. here is what I think:

RX-8 is extremely smooth and quite, engine works like a sewing machine and sounds like a jet turbine whistle (and yes that's a good thing). However, interior was too busy for me, and far away from the pureness of S2000. I really like the intense driving experience of S2000 and power + formula like engine sound and its rigidity really gets my vote..

And again congratulations for your car...
Old 01-07-2004, 07:53 AM

The major issue I have with the RX8 is that (at least if you're asking for a comparison with the S2000) IT ISN'T A CONVERTIBLE!!!

I wanted a roadster... the RX8 isn't a roadster. It's a nice little car (and having owned an RX7, I wouldn't mind taking a spin in an RX8), but if you want the top dropped, you've only got one choice.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:29 AM

Driven an S2000 for 3 years as my one and only daily driver. When my lease is up, what am I going to get? Black RX8 without a DOUBT. MAzda struck gold with the RX8, and you really have to respect the shit out of a car that handles like a go-kart, rides like a tourer, and comfortably seats 4. I've never seen such a versatile tourer, Mazda really got that car perfect. I also happen to think its one of the nicest looking cars to ever come out of japan. Great purchase! Wish I had one!
Old 01-07-2004, 08:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xpander4
Driven an S2000 for 3 years as my one and only daily driver.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:53 AM

I never even considered the RX-8 because the local Mazda dealer here is so ghetto. Same with the various VWs. If I needed something more practical I would get another RSX Type-S, not as sporty as the RX-8 but very, very close and losts cheaper, plus good dealer service.

Quick Reply: what do you guys think of the Rx-8?