Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

what do you guys think of the Rx-8?

Old 01-06-2004, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you guys think of the Rx-8?

I have been on this forum for 2 years now. Ever since I owned my 1999 miata I have loved the S2000. I grew very tired of daily driving my 94 Rx-7. It was very reliable as my only car, but its so stiff and jarring, and the rattles in the car through the cheap plastic and poor quality interior just got to me. So I drove a 350Z which I didn't like . I drove my friends S2000 which I liked alot. Handling felt as neutral as my rx-7, but the steering was amazing. Anyway...my FD has near 350 HP to the wheels, and after reading all the 350Z guys talk about the RX8 and how it has no torque and is so underpowered I figured I wouldnot like it.

I took it for a drive and could not believe this car. I have never in my life been so inspired by a car. When Im in my 94 RX-7 I feel the raw power. Its so fast and will snap your neck back on command. It does everything so exceptional but gives you a serious beating. The rx-8 is the easiest car to drive I have ever driven. The steering, handling were amazing, the revs were just sick and the interior is just fantastic.

Anyway...I was just curious what you guys think of the RX-8. Be brutally honest!!!

thanks!
Old 01-06-2004, 09:01 PM

Sounds like YOU like it, so don't let someone else talk you out of it
Old 01-06-2004, 09:02 PM

haha, no I bought it. Have it for a week now. My 94 doesn't get driven as much now : (. I was just curious if there was a connection with the S2000 owners since the cars are so similar, yet different.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove a fully loaded 6 - speed RX-8 (velocity red ) I drove my S2000 to the dealership so I got to experience both cars within a short period of time (like 10 minutes.) I liked the RX-8. In my opinion, the major advangtages it has over the S2000 is the quietness, ride, interior design, and the fact it holds 4 people. On the downside, the brakes I felt lacked bite (of course the car only had 3,000 miles on it, so they may not be broken in yet) and the shifter while precise wasn't as slick as the S2000. Also, I'm not sold on the side profile styling. If someone told me I could have only one car and my only choices were the S2000 and the RX-8, I would likely take the RX-8. But, if I could have 2 cars (which I do) I would take a sensible daily driver and the S2000 for fun time. The S is just that much more fun to drive.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:20 PM

nahhhh.... Me no likey...
Old 01-06-2004, 10:31 PM

i just bought my '03 after studying the s2000 since it's inception... after first seeing the rx8 on the roads, i thought of it as just a knock-off... but i kinda think of it as the s2000's cousin now.

Was cruisin downtown Minneapolis a few weeks ago and rolled up next to an rx8 at a stoplight, i honked and waved and the 2 guys in the rx8 gave the thumbs up...
Old 01-06-2004, 10:41 PM

It is a matter if YOU like it....

I love the looks of the Mazda Speed RX8....I wish they had a little more power.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:32 AM

It's up to you. When I was looking for a car I wanted something I can take to the track, roll to a club (or someplace nice), and have fun driving everyday without having to "fix" something all the time. The S2000 was perfect for me. The RX8 wasn't out, but even so I am not so keen on the styling and question the reliability of the rotary for abuse on the track (after hearing RX7 horror stories).

Not too many RX8's around here in so cal. Atleast they're pretty rare. Apparently, alot of people think like me.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Folks,

He does like it. He just wants to see what others think. He already bought the car.

Anyway, I sat in mine, after I decided not to purchase it. They wouldn't let me drive one though. So I can't comment on the driving experience. I like the look of the car, I liked the interior. And the sound system was very nice.

Had a chance to buy another, but I opted for a 2001 S4. Now, since, I live in NJ, I hope it doesn't get stolen!! :-(

ERIK
Old 01-07-2004, 06:38 AM

Be careful and watch for 'engine flood'. I read on the Internet that many owners have been experiencing engine flood and their RX-8s had to be flatbedded to service to clean the clogs.

Anyway, I canceled my RX-8 order and am waiting for my 325xi. My wife hated me for while as RX-8 was her favorite. I wish you luck and hopefully you will not have any problem.

Quick Reply: what do you guys think of the Rx-8?