Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What do you guys think of the 3rd Gen RX-7??

Old 12-03-2002, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The RX7 is not the biggest monster ever to come out of Japan, that credit goes to the GTR although Mazda has done a very good job with the RX7s. At least they're different.
depends what youc alla monster, the skyline isn't really that much faster if at all in the 1/4 mi, but it loses hands down to the RX7 in any kind of track situation. So my nod definitely goes to the car that handles, afterall thats' why I drive an s2000.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xpander4
[B]

First off the S2000 is heavier than the RX7 by a good 250 - 300 lbs.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by My R2
[B]It was reliable to the end.
Old 12-04-2002, 03:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alexf20c

Long story short.

I had spent OVER two years having telephone conversations with him and his employees talking about possible mods to my car. Getting advice as to which mods to do first and talking about general RX-7 stuff. When I finally had enough money saved up I took my car to the one place I knew could take care of it--WRONG.

I dropped my car off and picked it up two days later. I informed them to make sure my engine is sound before any mods were performed. My father went with me to pick the car up, good thing too, b/c he saw that they had put a USED exhaust on the car. When confronted with this he said I could have the old one put on the car if I did not want this one Well things went down hill from there. After a **discussion** with my father and myself the exhaust was discounted 50.00. Almost immediately afterwards I was informed of the NEW radiator cap that was placed on my car that would cost an extra 15.00. After another **discussion** an employee at PFS gave me the 15.00 to cover this NEW charge. The mods the car received at that time was exhaust, boost gauge, tie wrap job, intake and intercooler. Now this is where it gets really STUPID!!!

Once I got back home I thought I would take my wife out to see the new power. Well as soon as I started the car the light came on that stated I needed to add coolant. THIS had NEVER HAPPENED before. So I call PFS and explain what happened. I was informed that the coolant system needed to be burped to get the air out of the system. I was b/c this is information I would have like to have known BEFORE I left. Anyway, I burped the system (just adding water whenever the light would come on) and took my wife to the mall. Well day become night and we finally leave the mall (boy can my wife shop). The coolant light came on again so I added more water and coolant. About a mile from home the light came on again so I pull over and add the water and coolant. Well this time it must have been BONE dry b/c so much steam rose that cars pulled over b/c they thought the car was on fire. A cop pulled over and called a tow truck. I got the car towed to a local Mazda dealer where I was informed my engine was DEAD! It over heated...WTF? I informed PFS and immediately I was blamed and then it was said that rotary engines go around this time anyway. SO now I am REALLY MAD b/c I had told them to make sure the engine was fine BEFORE the mods were performed. I mean if I am gonna spend over 3500.00 I might as well make the engine stronger before adding mods-DUH!!!! The fact that they TOLD me my engine was in EXCELLENT shape made me madder.

Whoa I guess the short story turned into a long story

In any case, it turned out that PFS had sold used parts to other customers too. In fact, I was called in to testify against him. PFS did lose the case. Unfortunately, I did not receive any money. The icing on the cake was when I took my car to KDR, Dave told me that the tie wraps had only been partially done. So I had to pay for another tie wrap job, an engine and labor and
Old 12-04-2002, 04:12 PM

Well, I'm sorry you lost that $3500. But your car - in it's current state of tune - is faster than the PFS version, right?

Anyway, at least you didn't go all out with PFS (i.e. 3-rotor conversion) and then have it die on you. And one last question: Were you dealing directly with peter farrell himself?
Old 12-05-2002, 03:55 AM

Yeah, it a just a little faster . The three rotor car well that is a different story. The suit that I was a witness for was wild. One of Peter's customers spent over 20,000 at PFS and got used parts. So I guess in the scheme of things my 3500+ is miniscule, but, boy could I use that money know

I spoke with Peter and his employees during the two year relationship, a lot of good that did me. After the fall out I spoke with Peter once after that he avoided talking to me and I was told he was not "there" and to call back.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by My R2
[B]Yeah, it a just a little faster .
Old 12-05-2002, 09:45 AM

Yeah, it just is not right. It would be different if he was a man about it and apologized to the customers he screwed and refunded their money, but to avoid contact, not return phone calls or letters and then get UPSET with the CUSTOMER is FRIGGIN' CRAZY!!!
Old 12-05-2002, 10:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xpander4
[B]that's ridiculous.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RX-8
[B]

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of the 3rd Gen RX-7??