Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What do you guys think of the 3rd Gen RX-7??

Old 12-02-2002, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted your thoughts or opinions on a 3rd gen RX-7, I found decent prices for 93/94 RX-7's, but haven't had any prior experience with a rotary engine or mazda in general. How are they reliability wise?? I usually wouldn't have much hesitation buying used, but I usually buy Honda, so I don't know much about Mazda build quality

hit me back....
Old 12-02-2002, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TERRIBLE!!!!

They're great cars, a blast to drive, fantastic handling, but the quality is the absolute worst. Reliability is also terrible.

You can do a nice buildup of power, but without replacing the rotor seals, the engine will inevitably fail.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll learn this quick, but all 3rd Gen (93-95) are turboed.

Also, I used to be looking for them, and have been told that finding a 93 in good shape is very hard. They have had a lot of problems, and I would almost say to find one with the engine already rebuilt. You'll find that most of the 93s you find will already have an engine rebuild anyway.

From my research, which wasn't extensive, you are best off if you can find a 95, but the 94s are better then the 93s. There are other RX-7 "experts" on this board who will probably give you better info then this.

Oh, and it's one of my favorite cars of all time. Now only if it were reliable without too much user intervention!!

ERIK
Old 12-02-2002, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's one of my favorites too... but sadly the quality is inexcusably lousy. I did happen to spot a '94 on a lot today, red, for 11k. Don't know any more of the details since I'm not on the market.

If you are of a turbo frame-of-mind, a Supra TT is a far better choice, with FAR more potential. It will also cost FAR more to find one in any decent shape at all, and even more for a good one. And, it will be almost impossible to find a stock one; one that hasn't been diddled with. I'd suggest a stock model if you could find one; there's no telling what crappy mods people might have done to it.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:21 PM

Thnx guys, that rules out the RX-7, I really don't wanna put an extensive amount of money in the restoration of a car, just not worth it... I have been looking for a car for about a month, and it's very difficult to find the best of both worlds for this price range, might just go with a prelude sh, although the RX-7 is a beautiful car... speaking of Mazda, what about the Miata? I heard that it was a blast to drive, but really slow, which I can cope with, only problem is can it handle occassional winter driving?
Old 12-02-2002, 01:27 PM

Sport Compact Car did an entire article on making their 3rd Gen reliable, it cost as much as making 400 hp, but it works. I personally would buy on in an instant because they are so very very unique, Supras, 300zx, ect are all fat, the Rx7 is not.
The rx7club.com boards are great, with lots of very helpful people on them, and pretty much everything that goes wrong with them is "routine" and has happened before.
Since they already make around 330 hp stock (Correct), its much smarter, in my opinion, to bulletproof them, picking up a good amount of HP on the way (Exaust is one of the "Bulletproof" items), and full exaust turn great results. Then to do more susp/handling mods. This is all of course if you feel like modifying it.
The car is unique in its own way, but be prepared from some headaches.

My .02,
Jacob Jones aka Skuzzy
Old 12-02-2002, 01:32 PM

Haha, I must have started typing that response right after you ruled the rex out.

About all I know about the Miata is to stay away from the first two years. They had the equivilent of the DSM "Crankwalk", which is really just massive power loss. Greddy makes a non intercooled turbo kit good for 50hp, with an intercooler option, for about 150 bucks. I have no idea how they are in the snow.

Just because your s/n is EvoVII, I wonder if you have looked at DSMs, AWD and massive power potential.

Anyway,
Jacob Jones aka SKuzzy
Old 12-02-2002, 02:55 PM

that's ridiculous. These people have obviously never owned a 3rd gen rx7. They are very reliable cars, even at 400whp they are very reliable. This is not opinion, but fact, the RX7 is the biggest monster to ever come out of japan. You really need to drive one before you rule one out.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:00 PM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I almost got one several years ago until we (my father and I) found out that the insurance rate on a RX-7 and a 21 year old doesn't mix. I got a Eclipse GST instead... I've never had one but I guess with every model car, there are some bad apples. Most of the stuff I've heard about the 3rd Gen RX-7 is good though, as long as you properly maintain it.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:56 PM

Good point Xpander, I will do some more research before ruling it out, I'll go over to RX7 club for a couple days and just grill them a little, see what they have to say...

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of the 3rd Gen RX-7??