Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What do you guess would be a better handling car?

Old 05-30-2005, 10:37 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What do you guess would be a better handling car?

I'm only halfway interested in buying a car, but if GM knocks 20% off the MSRP who knows? CTS-V at $40K that would be mighty tempting.

The Caddy has the smaller (old Z06 engine) while the GTO has the larger (C6 engine) both equally powerful.

I think the GTO weighs a bit less maybe 200 lbs less.

I'm not sure which will be more fun to drive and/or more confident handling. The Caddy has stability control while the GTO only has traction control.

Caddy has 14" brembos and 18" wheels vs 17" wheels for the GTO

I know the Caddy is a better car, worlds more practical, better looking, more luxury. But it's costing $18K extra (MSRP) for about the same performance.

Has anyone driven both cars?? Any thoughts??

I can't even believe I'm thinking about a Caddy, but I'm getting old (almost 40) and I drove my friends well-used M5 that he wants $39K for. I'd assume a CTS-V should be as fast as an identically heavy M5.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:55 AM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

The GTO seems like a pretty good value. It suffers from bland, rental car looks, but has a great motor and one of the best GM interiors. Its sister, the Vauxhall Monaro VXR has been getting pretty good reviews in the UK. Evo gave it 4 1/2 stars.

Also, the GTO has optional 18" wheels.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have to go with the GTO. With all the money saved over the CTS-V you can add coilovers, rims, brakes, headers, exhaust... and a SC if you really want to go crazy. If you can get them down into the $26K range that could be a good buy. MSRP is around $33k I think, not sure or GM employee discount is on that car.

If you are really interested, somebody posted a link to an Avalanche Club site where a couple GM employees are hooking people up with legit GME discount codes. I know some people said GME is being offered to everyone, but I don't think that's the case. I'm fairly certain GM is fully encouaging their employees to give away their discount codes. So it's not like you can just stroll onto the lot and get GME pricing.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:16 AM

Let's not forget that the GTO/Monaro and the CTS/Catera are all roughly based on the same European Opel platform.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:26 AM

Received 92 Likes on 64 Posts

I have driven both cars.

The caddy is a blast but the shifter is crap and has no sport seats.

The GTO with the new motor is a nice improvement. The GTO has a driver oriented interior with nice seats but the car I had used a clutch out of a bus.
No way I would want to live with that.

Is the new GTO being discounted as heavily at the LS1 motor version (those were going for about $23K)?

Another thought is which car is doing better on problems? The early CTS-V cars did not seem to come out of a Lexus factory.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:42 AM
rai

Originally Posted by jvils,May 30 2005, 11:15 AM
it's not like you can just stroll onto the lot and get GME pricing.
There was a link in another thread that said starting 6/1/05 GM was going to offer GME to everyone. GM has not comented on it, well it still has other promotions and I guess they don't want to say "wait 2 days and you'll get a better deal"

The article said the discounts were for everything except the C6 but the discount varries with each model so maybe a V would not be discounted much at all. I live near a "no haggle" dealer thay have the CTS-V listed as about MSRP maybe $49K so I doubt they are going to drop that much but you never know.

All in all, whats bad for GM (over 100 days of inventory) is good for making deals.

Too bad about the C6 not being included, thats one car I'd like to trade my S in for.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:46 AM
rai

BTW perhapse Ford will do the same, they did like GM with the 60 month 0% financing in the past. They don't want to be left out.

I'd rather have a Mustang GT (if it was $20K) than a GTO for $26K. Just like the looks of the stang a bit more and cheaper is cheaper.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:00 PM

I think it's akin to who is the better lay, Camryn Mannheim or Rosie O'Donnell.

Not interested.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:03 PM

either way you win
Old 05-30-2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by rai,May 30 2005, 11:46 AM
I'd rather have a Mustang GT (if it was $20K)
Wow. I'm not looking for a new Mustang GT (or any car for that matter) but I honestly don't think I could pass one up for $20k.

As for which of those two handles better, why guess? That's what test drives are for

Quick Reply: What do you guess would be a better handling car?