Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

what to do

Old 09-03-2008, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do

ok..back in july, i sold my jetta. i got what i was asking for. recently, i purchased a 1999 Subaru Legacy OUtback 5 spd. I drove it and all SEEMED well. i paid what i thought was a fare amount for a well represented car with a complete service history. the exterior and interior are in good shape, all services had been done, and no noticible problems.

on the way home, the CEL goes on...not a big deal..just some wires

then, i start heaing a clicking in slow low speed turns..its the differential..shot

now, the speedo and odom are not working.

wow, i got hosed

in the mean time, situations have changed...i dont need the car anymore...i have some time before i need to buy a new one. i can afford to finance a new one (purchase not lease) but am not sure if i want to take on the burden. i would be taking a 2G hit on the trade (some was expected, of course). furthermore, i am applying for the coast guard officer program...not sure i will be needing a car so much (well i would be living off base)

i do not want to sink money into these problems to keep a car sitting around. it runs and drives for now

advice or experience?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:20 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

If you need a reliable source of transportation, do it if you feel you're going to be the hole even deeper than the hit you're going to take trading it in, nothing is more stressful than driving a car that you feel is going to breakdown on you any minute (been there, done that, not fun).
Old 09-04-2008, 04:24 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Winter? = Element. Looks weird at first, but is a tank. It's a Honda. Nuff said.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:39 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

So you bought a 9 year old car (with a "full service history") and problems cropped up - how did you get hosed? Pay over kbb? Nine years... that could easily be over 100k miles, so I don't see why problems are such a surprise. Clicking at low speed could be a worn CV joint. The speedo and tach don't work - could be a loose wire, prob not worth much time and effort to fix.

If I were you and facing the possibility of not needing a car, I wouldn't buy anything new. Just keep the Outback for now until you know your situation, maybe see about making repairs with a $2k limit, and make your money go farther. No sense in spending a lot of money on a car you're not sure you'll need, new OR used.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(with a "full service history") - records of maintenance since the first 5k service.

the clicking/thumping has been diagnosed as the diff by an acquaintance who is a Subaru mechanic

anyway, thanks for the input