Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What car is an upgrade to a STI/EVO?

Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the MTM supercharger is ridiculously expensive. i think it was like $20k if i remember correctly...
Old 04-10-2012, 10:31 AM

twin turbo inline 6 will be more fun to drive than v8 period. and a lot cheaper to get more hp out of it those are given facts. almost any twin turbo engine from factory can push 400+whp easy with few grand. lots of times you don't even have to change turbo to push that much hp. it's usually something else goes wrong with the car not the engine for example BMW's famous high pressure fuel pump. once that goes out you are stuck. you won't be driving your car for few days.

MTM supercharger for Audi s4 and rs4 is a joke. don't waste money on it. don't even bother to look it up. but you can get a reputable supercharger for audi s4 for about 10-15k.

i have 2007 b7 s4 with some bolt on. it's a blast to drive. not to mention i got ecu tune and now i have launch assist. with launch assist there is no bog at take off. it's literally from dead stop to full throttle instantly.

i DD my audi and it's been the best DD ever. i did own e36 m3 before and yes BMW engines are just better/more sportier period. but as a DD i will stick with audi anytime just not a4 or anything with that stupid under powered 2.0T engine.

bottom line bmw 335 is very very fun car to drive but audi is made for every day car. yes it gets crappy gas mileage but once you start adding hp to bmw 335 i am sure it's gas mileage will go down as well all depends on how much hp you are pushing.

i love bmw 335 don't get me wrong. i was thinking of purchasing one instead of my audi s4. i love that engine. but almost all dbags and daddy's girl in this town have one and there are bmws everywhere. but i rarely see audi s4 specially b6 and b7 generations. and even harder to find modified one.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nissan Juke R.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by madkimchi
twin turbo inline 6 will be more fun to drive than v8 period. and a lot cheaper to get more hp out of it those are given facts. almost any twin turbo engine from factory can push 400+whp easy with few grand. lots of times you don't even have to change turbo to push that much hp. it's usually something else goes wrong with the car not the engine for example BMW's famous high pressure fuel pump. once that goes out you are stuck. you won't be driving your car for few days.

MTM supercharger for Audi s4 and rs4 is a joke. don't waste money on it. don't even bother to look it up. but you can get a reputable supercharger for audi s4 for about 10-15k.

i have 2007 b7 s4 with some bolt on. it's a blast to drive. not to mention i got ecu tune and now i have launch assist. with launch assist there is no bog at take off. it's literally from dead stop to full throttle instantly.

i DD my audi and it's been the best DD ever. i did own e36 m3 before and yes BMW engines are just better/more sportier period. but as a DD i will stick with audi anytime just not a4 or anything with that stupid under powered 2.0T engine.

bottom line bmw 335 is very very fun car to drive but audi is made for every day car. yes it gets crappy gas mileage but once you start adding hp to bmw 335 i am sure it's gas mileage will go down as well all depends on how much hp you are pushing.

i love bmw 335 don't get me wrong. i was thinking of purchasing one instead of my audi s4. i love that engine. but almost all dbags and daddy's girl in this town have one and there are bmws everywhere. but i rarely see audi s4 specially b6 and b7 generations. and even harder to find modified one.

Actually most boltons IMPROVE gas mileage on the N54 engine. The stock tune is a bit rich and the tunes lean it out a little bit (to safe level). The extra HP doesn't cost MPG but the extra power makes you want to put your right foot into it a lot. I drive mixed city/highway and get about 24 MPG combined which is the same as I got with my AP1 S2000.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Actually most boltons IMPROVE gas mileage on the N54 engine. The stock tune is a bit rich and the tunes lean it out a little bit (to safe level). The extra HP doesn't cost MPG but the extra power makes you want to put your right foot into it a lot. I drive mixed city/highway and get about 24 MPG combined which is the same as I got with my AP1 S2000.
once you turn up your boost it will drink more gas. turn that dial on juicebox all the way to max hp it will waste more gas. rwd bmw will definitely get a better mpg than awd audi.

i want that juke-r. i don't care how ugly that is. i will put 20% tint all over and make sure i wear a big hoody to cover myself getting in and out of the car to make sure no body sees me getting in and out of that ugly thing but how can you not resist GT-R drive train on that thing. it will smoke almost any car out on the streets.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1334088947' post='21595274
once you turn up your boost it will drink more gas. turn that dial on juicebox all the way to max hp it will waste more gas. rwd bmw will definitely get a better mpg than awd audi.

i want that juke-r. i don't care how ugly that is. i will put 20% tint all over and make sure i wear a big hoody to cover myself getting in and out of the car to make sure no body sees me getting in and out of that ugly thing but how can you not resist GT-R drive train on that thing. it will smoke almost any car out on the streets.
Do you have a N54 car with a juicebox tune? There are no "dials" on a JB4 just maps. My firsthand experience is that gas mileage went UP after I installed mine. I'm running map 5 the autotune map since I don't have any other boltons right now and I went from around 22 mpg combined to 24 mpg. I drive pretty normal and get into 12+ psi boost every once in a while.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by madkimchi' timestamp='1334112631' post='21596439
[quote name='CosmosMpower' timestamp='1334088947' post='21595274']Actually most boltons IMPROVE gas mileage on the N54 engine. The stock tune is a bit rich and the tunes lean it out a little bit (to safe level). The extra HP doesn't cost MPG but the extra power makes you want to put your right foot into it a lot. I drive mixed city/highway and get about 24 MPG combined which is the same as I got with my AP1 S2000.

Do you have a N54 car with a juicebox tune? There are no "dials" on a JB4 just maps. My firsthand experience is that gas mileage went UP after I installed mine. I'm running map 5 the autotune map since I don't have any other boltons right now and I went from around 22 mpg combined to 24 mpg. I drive pretty normal and get into 12+ psi boost every once in a while.
[/quote]

hmm may be the new ones don't have the dial. my buddy had a one of the first 335i and he had juicebox and if you open up the black box there is a dial you can turn to control how much hp you want to push. pretty much a boost controller. he did mention once you turn the dial clock wise it does boost higher but waste gas as a daily car. that thing was fast. it's amazing to me how such a little box can override bmw ecu and turn up the boost, and if you need service at the dealer simply remove the box and you are good to go.

OT went to his house shortly after he got the juicebox to check out the car and the tune. he starts his car (been sitting out side over night) doesn't even warm it up then takes me out on the street and redlines it for first 2 may be 3 gears. i didn't know his car was cold until we got back.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1334152665' post='21597198
[quote name='madkimchi' timestamp='1334112631' post='21596439']
[quote name='CosmosMpower' timestamp='1334088947' post='21595274']Actually most boltons IMPROVE gas mileage on the N54 engine. The stock tune is a bit rich and the tunes lean it out a little bit (to safe level). The extra HP doesn't cost MPG but the extra power makes you want to put your right foot into it a lot. I drive mixed city/highway and get about 24 MPG combined which is the same as I got with my AP1 S2000.

[/quote]

hmm may be the new ones don't have the dial. my buddy had a one of the first 335i and he had juicebox and if you open up the black box there is a dial you can turn to control how much hp you want to push. pretty much a boost controller. he did mention once you turn the dial clock wise it does boost higher but waste gas as a daily car. that thing was fast. it's amazing to me how such a little box can override bmw ecu and turn up the boost, and if you need service at the dealer simply remove the box and you are good to go.

OT went to his house shortly after he got the juicebox to check out the car and the tune. he starts his car (been sitting out side over night) doesn't even warm it up then takes me out on the street and redlines it for first 2 may be 3 gears. i didn't know his car was cold until we got back.
[/quote]

He must have an old version I've never even heard of a box where you open it up to turn a dial. JB4 has cold oil protection so you can't take it over stock boost until the oil temp is 160F+
Old 04-11-2012, 02:36 PM

I'm very surprised that more people aren't saying an S2000... Especially on a S2000 forum
Maybe I'm just biased because I love them so much
Old 04-11-2012, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by addison.lewis1
I'm very surprised that more people aren't saying an S2000... Especially on a S2000 forum
Maybe I'm just biased because I love them so much
kinda figure he would of thought of that....

Quick Reply: What car is an upgrade to a STI/EVO?