Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What car should I buy for under $30k?

Old 01-18-2010, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What car should I buy for under $30k?

Instead of asking the question, I'm giving you the answer...

After a long search that included some great, great enthusiast cars , I've decided to go with...

I believe many will overlook this choice because it doesn't have the best numbers on paper or the right marque up front, but I assure you that this car will push all the right buttons and leave you more than satisfied. Plus, you won't have to worry about those "greenies" at work because this thing gets 24 MPG city and 32 MPG hwy!

The German feel without the terrible over-priced after taste you get with those heavier, more expensive alternatives.

If you haven't driven one, DO IT!

Disclaimer: The views and opinions of this user are not necessarily of the masses of the Car Talk forum.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love it. Always loved the GTI. I'm really looking into the TDI cup....TDI efficiency and tq with GTI suspension.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by GT_NFR,Jan 18 2010, 10:59 PM
Love it. Always loved the GTI. I'm really looking into the TDI cup....TDI efficiency and tq with GTI suspension.

I briefly looked at this alternative after seeing the TDI Cup Jetta at the NAIAS last week.

I talked to a couple dealers and each said they are getting one, which they already ordered. So not only would I have to wait, but I did not really get to choose what I wanted. I thought it would be cool to own one of these 1200 or so examples coming to the US, but in the end I felt the GTI was the best fit.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:38 PM

Wow, didn't know they were THAT limited. I may have to pay a visit to the VW dealer soon.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by MrClean,Jan 18 2010, 09:52 PM
After a long search that included some great, great enthusiast cars , I've decided to go with...
Could you compare the GTI to the other cars you drove?
Or just a list of cars you compared to perhaps?

PS: Nice thread title!
And, throw up some pictures of your own car. Always fun to see owner's pictures.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:04 AM
Former Moderator

what happened to the 328 wagon?
Old 01-19-2010, 04:42 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

In the same class, I'd rather have a Speed3 for the same money, or better still, for a fraction more a WRX (awd > fwd).
Old 01-19-2010, 06:59 AM

That is a Swiss Army Knife on wheels- amazing all around car. It's got the refinement of a luxury car, the utility of a wagon, the drive of a sports car. Now like the real Swiss Army Knife, it won't do those jobs quite as well as dedicated single-purpose tools, but still you can't beat the packaging and jack of all trades versatility.

zDan- on paper, both of those cars you mention seem like no-brainers over the VW; the 3 is so much quicker and the WRX has AWD. Only we don't drive on paper. The VW oozes quality where by comparison the Mazda and the Subaru (lol) are coarse, cheap, down market alternatives.

At the end of the day, we spend a lot of time in our cars, most of it not going for a best time or caught in a blizzard. I think the VW slays the competition in this department.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Jan 19 2010, 10:59 AM
That is a Swiss Army Knife on wheels- amazing all around car. It's got the refinement of a luxury car, the utility of a wagon, the drive of a sports car. Now like the real Swiss Army Knife, it won't do those jobs quite as well as dedicated single-purpose tools, but still you can't beat the packaging and jack of all trades versatility.

zDan- on paper, both of those cars you mention seem like no-brainers over the VW; the 3 is so much quicker and the WRX has AWD. Only we don't drive on paper. The VW oozes quality where by comparison the Mazda and the Subaru (lol) are coarse, cheap, down market alternatives.

At the end of the day, we spend a lot of time in our cars, most of it not going for a best time or caught in a blizzard. I think the VW slays the competition in this department.
I couldn't have put it better myself.

You are right no target Dr.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by hondafrvr,Jan 18 2010, 11:53 PM
Could you compare the GTI to the other cars you drove?
Or just a list of cars you compared to perhaps?

PS: Nice thread title!
And, throw up some pictures of your own car. Always fun to see owner's pictures.
Yeah, I didn't put a lot down about my search when I posted this last night since I was short on time.

Here is the list of cars I was considering. Keep in mind each had their merits along a sliding scale that included various financial factors, fun factor, enthusiast appeal, and above all great to drive everyday.

1. 2004 Ford Focus SVT (under $10k for a low-mileage good example with the EAP)
2. 2008-09 MazdaSpeed3 (about $15k-$20k)
3. 2007-2008 VW Jetta GLI (same as mazda)
4. 2007-2008 VW GTI (same as mazda)

After much researching over the last several weeks and driving some examples, I realized it may be a long while before I found a used example that met my expectations. So, while I was at a local VW dealership this weekend to look at a couple used GTIs I found myself behind the wheel of a new one, just to prove to myself that I really did not need it. Well, I was wrong and I did.

As Dr Wot put it, there is a German feel (materials, styling, ergonomics, and driving feel) you get in the GTI that the competition just does not have. Maybe I'm just wired to like it, I don't know, but I do know that it is very appealing and satisfying to me. As it has been said, on paper this car does not seem to have a chance to its competition, but go drive one and tell me you aren't thrilled by it.

I'm picking up the car tonight and will post pictures soon.

Preliminary Mod List:
1) Clearbra
2) Window Tint
3) Neuspeed Springs (1" drop f/r and softer spring rates for compliant ride)
4) Paint the black plastic side rocker pieces and the black plastic rear valence (around exhaust tips) red to match body color.
5) Some VAG-COM tweaks
6) Maybe a catback exhaust

Quick Reply: What car should I buy for under $30k?