Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What car to buy after s2000?

Old 08-04-2013, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ASMspec
Wrong choices here. If you are about to start a family those higher price vehicles come with higher maintenance and a higher overall cost of ownership. Not something you want starting a family. Why not look at an E36 4 door sedan? Subaru WRX? Acura TSX? Honda Accord? Honda CRV? Honda Pilot? You should play it smart and keep your S2000 for now until several months before your first child is born. Then make the switch. That way you will have a better idea on your finances having just bought a new home. Furnishings on a new home arent cheap either.
I would want something newer so no e36. Don't like the Subaru or Acura or Hondas. I've had them before and I wanna try something more.. European.. I'm definitely keeping s2k forever probably so I'll always have that. So I'm thinking of a used cpo luxury midsize SUV first..
Old 08-04-2013, 09:18 AM

Just to clarify the E92 M3 is a coupe and although it seats 4 its really made for 2 people. Mine is slammed to the ground and I have only ever had one other person in it when I go out. No room for kids in reality. You are speaking of the E90 M3 coupe. Again if this guy is buying a new home and starting a family an E90 M3 is not the way to go unless he has a good job and stable finances.
So I assume you have e92? Which year do you have? And how do you like it? I'd love to hear a e92 m3 review from a s2k owner. I recently drove a 335i and was not very impressed. It felt heavy and didn't feel the connect I feel with s2k. But very luxurious and FAST. I'm wondering what e92 m feels like

Thanks
Old 08-04-2013, 10:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by icecreamballer
Wrong choices here. If you are about to start a family those higher price vehicles come with higher maintenance and a higher overall cost of ownership. Not something you want starting a family. Why not look at an E36 4 door sedan? Subaru WRX? Acura TSX? Honda Accord? Honda CRV? Honda Pilot? You should play it smart and keep your S2000 for now until several months before your first child is born. Then make the switch. That way you will have a better idea on your finances having just bought a new home. Furnishings on a new home arent cheap either.
I would want something newer so no e36. Don't like the Subaru or Acura or Hondas. I've had them before and I wanna try something more.. European.. I'm definitely keeping s2k forever probably so I'll always have that. So I'm thinking of a used cpo luxury midsize SUV first..
Perfect. A new 2012 or 2013 BMW X3 or X5 with warranty is the way to go. Lease or buy.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:02 AM

Just to clarify the E92 M3 is a coupe and although it seats 4 its really made for 2 people. Mine is slammed to the ground and I have only ever had one other person in it when I go out. No room for kids in reality. You are speaking of the E90 M3 coupe. Again if this guy is buying a new home and starting a family an E90 M3 is not the way to go unless he has a good job and stable finances.
So I assume you have e92? Which year do you have? And how do you like it? I'd love to hear a e92 m3 review from a s2k owner. I recently drove a 335i and was not very impressed. It felt heavy and didn't feel the connect I feel with s2k. But very luxurious and FAST. I'm wondering what e92 m feels like

Thanks
I have an E92 M3. I have owned it since 2010. Totally different feel to it than an S2000. It is heavier that is for sure but the sound of the V8 sounds awesome. Torque is ok. Not the best at 295 ft.pounds.
It is faster than a stock S2000 and a supercharged S2000 for that matter. So out of the box you have jumped 3 classes of cars. I have owned several BMWs since leaving the S2000 and NSX scene. I have owned an E46 M3 and E86 M Coupe.
Seats support your back which I needed coming from a modified Z4MC.

Honestly in the E92 M3 there isnt much backseat space. E90 M3 would suit a family much better IMO.

Another favorite of mine is the 2006-2008 BMW Z4MC or E86 M Coupe. Its faster than an S2000 for sure and its looks are great. Not aging at all. Interior is ok and it comes with navi. You may still find a CPO 2008 Z4MC somewhere in the US. There are pros and cons to owning one of these. Not the most comfortable car but performance is on par with an E46 M3.

My last favorite but they are still going for a huge penny is the 2012 BMW 1M.

My M3 with my X5 sleeping in the garage. lol

Name:  IMG_1515_zpsb508996e.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  124.8 KB
Old 08-04-2013, 11:39 AM

I have an E92 M3. I have owned it since 2010. Totally different feel to it than an S2000. It is heavier that is for sure but the sound of the V8 sounds awesome. Torque is ok. Not the best at 295 ft.pounds. It is faster than a stock S2000 and a supercharged S2000 for that matter. So out of the box you have jumped 3 classes of cars. I have owned several BMWs since leaving the S2000 and NSX scene. I have owned an E46 M3 and E86 M Coupe. Seats support your back which I needed coming from a modified Z4MC. Honestly in the E92 M3 there isnt much backseat space. E90 M3 would suit a family much better IMO. Another favorite of mine is the 2006-2008 BMW Z4MC or E86 M Coupe. Its faster than an S2000 for sure and its looks are great. Not aging at all. Interior is ok and it comes with navi. You may still find a CPO 2008 Z4MC somewhere in the US. There are pros and cons to owning one of these. Not the most comfortable car but performance is on par with an E46 M3. My last favorite but they are still going for a huge penny is the 2012 BMW 1M. My M3 with my X5 sleeping in the garage. lol
That's an awesome looking m3 with that front spoiler!

How's the handling compared to s2k?

I guess what I'm really interested is, how fun is it to drive? I don't know if there's any car that is as fun as to drive than s2k but I've heard some good things about the driving experience of m3s.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:40 AM

Perfect. A new 2012 or 2013 BMW X3 or X5 with warranty is the way to go. Lease or buy.
Do you think used range rover sport or cayenne is worth the money? They seemed to be significantly more expensive but is it worth it?
Old 08-04-2013, 12:09 PM

I have an E92 M3. I have owned it since 2010. Totally different feel to it than an S2000. It is heavier that is for sure but the sound of the V8 sounds awesome. Torque is ok. Not the best at 295 ft.pounds. It is faster than a stock S2000 and a supercharged S2000 for that matter. So out of the box you have jumped 3 classes of cars. I have owned several BMWs since leaving the S2000 and NSX scene. I have owned an E46 M3 and E86 M Coupe. Seats support your back which I needed coming from a modified Z4MC. Honestly in the E92 M3 there isnt much backseat space. E90 M3 would suit a family much better IMO. Another favorite of mine is the 2006-2008 BMW Z4MC or E86 M Coupe. Its faster than an S2000 for sure and its looks are great. Not aging at all. Interior is ok and it comes with navi. You may still find a CPO 2008 Z4MC somewhere in the US. There are pros and cons to owning one of these. Not the most comfortable car but performance is on par with an E46 M3. My last favorite but they are still going for a huge penny is the 2012 BMW 1M. My M3 with my X5 sleeping in the garage. lol
That's an awesome looking m3 with that front spoiler!

How's the handling compared to s2k?

I guess what I'm really interested is, how fun is it to drive? I don't know if there's any car that is as fun as to drive than s2k but I've heard some good things about the driving experience of m3s.
Thanks. I may be going with the Challenge lip soon.

Handling is night and day. The S2000 was like a crotch rocket and needing to keep it above 6000 rpms to feel the power. The M3 is more subtle and heavier and you feel the power from the get go. Its high revving as well like the S2000.

The S2000 is less forgiving than the M3 and is much more fun to drive. However its only a 2 seater and not much room for anything else. No trunk space either. The M3 you and your wife could take long trips and it is very comfortable. I wouldn't try to in the S2000. lol
Old 08-04-2013, 12:11 PM

Do you think used range rover sport or cayenne is worth the money? They seemed to be significantly more expensive but is it worth it?
I looked at both before I settled with the X5 and the Range Rovers reliability was horrible and the maintenance after warranty was way to much on the Porsche. So I went with the X5 with warranty and have to say that was the smarter decision for me at the time.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:08 PM

Is the reliability and maintenance significantly better on x5 than the range rover?
Old 08-04-2013, 03:57 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Is the reliability and maintenance significantly better on x5 than the range rover?
Yes and yes. The air suspension is expensive as hell to repair on a rover. Idk how the new ones are tho, but they do cost much more.

Quick Reply: What car to buy after s2000?