Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What car to buy after s2000?

Old 08-03-2013, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What car to buy after s2000?

Hello

I've been thinking and planning for my future now that I'm happily married for about a year. My wife and I are planning to buy a house within next couple years and also start having babies too. So I just hit 200,000 miles on my 02 which I got back in 2004 at 23k miles. This car got me through life last 9 years with no trouble and bare minimal maintenance and I think it truly is one of the best cars ever made

But one day I know I will have to buy a new car. But my priorities have changed. Now I need extra doors and bigger space and can't spent too much on cars. For those of you who were in similar situation as me, what car did you buy next?

Cars I really like are e92 m3, ranger rover sport, Porsche cayenne, 5 series, f10 m5. But my ultimate dream car is 997 gt3.

So what are your stories?
Old 08-03-2013, 10:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Considering the cars you listed (and their prices)... why not pick up another S2000 with lower miles, and a daily?

I'm on my 4th S2000.

We all come back.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

E92 m3 would be my choice of sedan. I know a lot of BMW purists think its bloated but I love that v8.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pontiac G8 GT
Old 08-03-2013, 02:30 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Nothing you mentioned is as reliable as the S you're leaving. A V6 TSX would be sharp in handling, a TL SH-AWD the sporty awd option.

Just a thought.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:19 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by icecreamballer
For those of you who were in similar situation as me, what car did you buy next?

Cars I really like are e92 m3, ranger rover sport, Porsche cayenne, 5 series, f10 m5. But my ultimate dream car is 997 gt3.

Doesn't sound like you are concentrating on saving money with that list cars, lol. I assume your S2K must be paid off by now? Might as well just keep it and look to buy one of the cars on your list. When my 4 year lease ended on my '03, I went without a car for a few months. I was taking public trans to work and used my girlfriend's car when needed. I couldn't take not having car, even if I was saving money on insurance and car payments. I wanted something that wasn't so harsh on my back but not many cars out at the time I thought were interesting. I ended up buying a 2004 Jaguar Vanden Plas XJ8. It was the first year of their aluminum rivet bonding architecture and ended up being a fabulous car. It was distinctive, regal, drove well, trouble free, and had all the features one could want. Jag does a nice job with details and it was not until I really got the car on the lift and owned it for a while I could understand what separates a Jag from the rest. Double wishbones front and rear with beautiful castings. Well thought out paneling details, and the list goes on and on.

4 years into that car, I realized (well realized much earlier than that) that the VDP is just too darn big. I live in the city and it was a land yacht. Not only was it long, but it was one of the widest cars on the market. My accountant bought it off of me at tax time as I now wanted an XK and needed a car before IRS got their check. Move forward 1.5 years and driving the XK. Bought my girlfriend a Range Rover HSE. Still have the itch for something else, but isn't that the way of any petrol-head?

We need to buy a bigger house before I trade either car in. Most likely for me, it'll be an Aston, XKR-S, front engine Ferrari (notice a silhouette theme) , or if Alfa ever shows up, one of those.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, trying to find some kind of do it all car is difficult to impossible and often more expensive than two more focused cars. Get a newer S2000 and something to take the kids around when you need to. I have 2 seater and a CRV and i've had the kids in the crv probably 5 times and the oldest is 6. My wife's car is just so much more useful with the kids that we always just take that.

You can live with a focused car as long as she has something with more versatility. Or just get two cars and you guys can swap them if she enjoys driving a focused buzz bomb like the S2000.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

M3 Sedan?
Old 08-04-2013, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by icecreamballer
Hello

I've been thinking and planning for my future now that I'm happily married for about a year. My wife and I are planning to buy a house within next couple years and also start having babies too. So I just hit 200,000 miles on my 02 which I got back in 2004 at 23k miles. This car got me through life last 9 years with no trouble and bare minimal maintenance and I think it truly is one of the best cars ever made

But one day I know I will have to buy a new car. But my priorities have changed. Now I need extra doors and bigger space and can't spent too much on cars. For those of you who were in similar situation as me, what car did you buy next?

Wrong choices here. If you are about to start a family those higher price vehicles come with higher maintenance and a higher overall cost of ownership. Not something you want starting a family.

Why not look at an E36 4 door sedan? Subaru WRX? Acura TSX? Honda Accord? Honda CRV? Honda Pilot?

You should play it smart and keep your S2000 for now until several months before your first child is born. Then make the switch. That way you will have a better idea on your finances having just bought a new home.

Furnishings on a new home arent cheap either.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 92gli
E92 m3 would be my choice of sedan. I know a lot of BMW purists think its bloated but I love that v8.
Just to clarify the E92 M3 is a coupe and although it seats 4 its really made for 2 people. Mine is slammed to the ground and I have only ever had one other person in it when I go out. No room for kids in reality.

You are speaking of the E90 M3 sedan. Again if this guy is buying a new home and starting a family an E90 M3 is not the way to go unless he has a good job and stable finances.

Quick Reply: What car to buy after s2000?