Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Watch out HONDA!

Old 06-13-2008, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, 2010?? that car already looks dated today. looks like a design from the early 2000s.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geminimech,Jun 12 2008, 08:38 PM
g37 wannabe. although it does look nice
Just like they bit the styling of the last accord.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:44 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Korea is moving into the American market much faster than the Japanese did. It was the gas shortage of the 1970's that gave the Japanese the momentum, I wonder if we're seeing a parallel now?
Old 06-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul S,Jun 12 2008, 08:31 AM
Not too bad. I bet it will be a pig, though (3.8L V6 producing 300HP and 0-60 in only 6 sec?).
"Under 6 seconds" is just a safe way for a manufacturer to say, much like how Honda used to say "under 6" for the S2000. This V6 Huyndai will achieve low 5s.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rajun asian,Jun 12 2008, 06:51 PM
Well my "superior" Honda leather is not wearing that great for a car with only 17,xxx miles. And it's been garaged since I bought it in '03.
We had leather on S??????????????
It's leather wannabe vinyl IMHO.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by froggie,Jun 13 2008, 01:35 PM
Very good post... Except Hyundai is a private conglomerate owned by the late founder's sons, and not by the state. Not unlike the Japanese in the eighties and nineties, Hyundai is moving very aggressively.
Shares are traded publicly and the company was created by a private individual so I apologize. I should have expanded on my post...However...

The Dismantling of Hyundai

The latter years of the 1990s brought with them economic turmoil for South Korea. In order to restore the nation's financial health, President Kim Dae Jung, who took office in 1998, launched a series of restructuring programs designed to reform the chaebols, many of which had become heavily debt-burdened. His reforms included changing the ownership, business, and financial structures of the region's large conglomerates. By this time, the Hyundai Group was responsible for approximately 20 percent of Korea's GDP. As such, its financial health was directly related to South Korea's overall economic condition.

As a result of government pressures, Hyundai and other South Korean chaebols, including the Daewoo Group, set plans in motion to sell off many of their businesses in order to pay down debt and shore up profits. Hyundai's concentration remained on autos, electronics, heavy industry, construction, and finance. Even as the group struggled under its debt load, it strengthened its holdings with the purchase of Kia Motors Co. Ltd. and LG Semiconductor.

Despite the government's involvement, Hyundai was slow to comply with restructuring demands. Its questionable accounting practices often made it the target of negative publicity. Rivalries between members of the founder's family also led to bad press, leaving many investors anxious about the future of the group and its member companies. Indeed, many Hyundai affiliates, including Hyundai Engineering & Construction and Hyundai Electronics, were nearing bankruptcy as debt continued to spiral out of control. By 2001, total group debt reached W35.87 trillion ($25.59 billion).

Hyundai Motor Co., on the other hand, was prospering as Korea's largest car maker. The auto concern officially separated from the Hyundai Group in September 2000, signaling the start of sweeping changes that led to the eventual dismantling of what was once South Korea's largest conglomerate. In August 2001, nine core Hyundai companies, including Hyundai Engineering & Construction and Hynix Semiconductor Inc. (formerly known as Hyundai Electronics Industries), left the chaebol. The separation cut Hyundai Group's assets to just $20.8 billion and left it in control of 18 member companies. Hyundai continued to be pared down the following year.

South Korea had bounced back from its economic crisis of 1997 and 1998 to become a leading global force in the technology sector. By 2003, foreign investors owned over a third of the shares of companies listed on Seoul's stock exchange. During 2002, Roh Moo Hyun was elected president of South Korea. Feeling the pressure from foreign investors, he maintained that harsh reform would continue within South Korea's chaebols. A May 2003 Business Week article supported the efforts of the new president, who stated that "slowly and steadily, good governance has been asserting itself in Korea." Indeed, it appeared as though the powerful, family-run Korean chaebols were a thing of the past. While this marked an end to the Hyundai Group's history, it pointed to a fresh start for many companies bearing the Hyundai name.

Principal Competitors: LG Group; Samsung Group; SK Group.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it's got the Brembo BBK's at the both front and rear.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

trust me, companies like honda and toyota are on top of things when it comes to performance coupes. sure hyundai and kia will give them some competition here and there. thats what will force Honda and toyota to make better cars.

Both honda and toyota sport models are due for an overhaul, but it has taken 5-10 years for other automotive companies to catch up to 10 year old technology.

If you review history both honda and toyota have discontinued and staggnated on design changes of their sport coupes. Both companies are very methodical about their designs and product offerings. They believe in producing products that surpass previous designs and concepts. Toyota had the revolutionary pruis designed 5 years before it released, they just wanted to make sure it was the best.

With all that said, Honda and Toyota will be releasing some interesting cars in the coming years that have already been designed. they are just being perfected. Then they will be on top again for another 10 years to work on some other engineering master piece while everyone else plays catch up.

Companies like Hyundai and Kai are simply coping what was done 5-10 years ago and making minimal improvements. this car looks exciting, but it will not be long before the public is bored of this car and looking elsewhere for satisfaction.

I have owned both hondas and toyotas, as well as study both companies history and business practices. I am not saying I am an expert in the automotive market, but look at what honda and toyota started doing 5 years ago. They both built small exterior, large interior full efficient cars. Unheard of at the time, but in high demand now. If you want to know the automotive market direction, watch Honda and Toyota. what they do today will be a hit for years to come. Also look for hydrogen and full cell cars from both companies as everyone else goes after electric.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And toyota will eventually try to buy ford motor company
Old 06-15-2008, 12:12 AM

the higher horse power v6 sounds good but i like how they dont leave the lower model hangin with a crappy motor design (it comes with a turbo 4). but i think as of now, the design is good, but the g37 is still my pick over it.

Quick Reply: Watch out HONDA!