Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Wanting to buy a Prius.

Old 12-07-2004, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not get the accord hybrid?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by mvf4s,Dec 7 2004, 07:15 AM
I think Toyota is more mature in the Hybrid technology

anyway, for people who likes investment, you may consider this stock from NASDAQ, "QTWW" (stock number)
this is a FUEL CELL TECHNOLOGY COMPANY, kind of a leader in this concept now.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:34 AM

I think Toyota is more mature in the Hybrid technology
the insight was here before the prius.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:59 PM

I work at Capitol Toyota in San Jose California and we don't have a mark up on any of our Prius. I can get you a Prius within 3-6 months if you are interested.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rai,Dec 7 2004, 05:53 AM
If I can ask, what's the big interest in the Prius? If you want to save money it probably will never pay for the extra cost over a Corolla or such. Unless you drive a lot.
No, that's not the primary reason, because obviously, Corolla and Civics are much cheaper, hence the fuel saving will never ever compensate the price differences. However, I drive long trips and would love to have a hybrid. It's a new thing, very gas efficient, interesting to drive and experience, less CO poluting, and all the other interesting stuff that goes with it. It is more expensive, but it does come with a rebate, so it helps a little.

Accord hybrid? It's more expensive, and much less fuel efficient. When I have a hybrid, the primary thing I want is to have it get 60+ mpg. The Accord only gets mid-30's mpg. Yes, the Accord is "better" in every other way, but that is not why I'm buying a hybrid.

Do you know that Prius holds values better than Ferrari's? Jesus! I checked out some local used ones, and the prices are insane. Even 2001 models (the older version, not the current body style and improvement) go for almost $20K. Most of them are priced at high teen's, when they have like 40K miles. When new, weren't they only like less than $20K? And 4 years later, they are still at such prices. And the used '04 still goes for mid-20's. Crazy I tell ya.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For now they hold their value better then ferrari's. In 5 yrs when better hybrid technology is out it could look like a Pentium 1.

Plus down the line a old Prius will need new batteries and it maybe pricy.

However I'd get a prius they are very nice. Lots of nice options, keyless go, HID's, Navi, neat standard LCD, etc.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MaxGeek,Dec 7 2004, 03:08 PM
For now they hold their value better then ferrari's. In 5 yrs when better hybrid technology is out it could look like a Pentium 1.

Plus down the line a old Prius will need new batteries and it maybe pricy.

However I'd get a prius they are very nice. Lots of nice options, keyless go, HID's, Navi, neat standard LCD, etc.
Of course, as new technology and models come out, the old ones will become obsolete and very inexpensive, but for now, Priuses (or Prii), old and new, hold values like nothing else. Heck, they even appreciate instead of depreciate. But soon, many hybrids will come out, and they'd be begging me to buy at invoice. But not now though.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:41 PM

You can always get used, as they are a better deal than new. Plus there is the Civic hybrid, Insight, and new Accord hybrid.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mvf4s,Dec 7 2004, 07:15 AM
Before you can recommend this, you should remember the Accord Hybrid was not meant to be a economy car. It's actually considered the "top of the line" Accord: It is the fastest, most fuel efficient, but at the same time, most expensive ($31k) Accord.

Anyhoo, in response to those who say Toyota is ahead in hybrid technology than Honda: I think a 3000lb 255hp V6 hybrid engine which has the same fuel economy as a 2400lb 120hp Civic is much more impressive than any Toyota hybrid technology out right now.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lice Locket,Dec 8 2004, 03:44 AM
Before you can recommend this, you should remember the Accord Hybrid was not meant to be a economy car. It's actually considered the "top of the line" Accord: It is the fastest, most fuel efficient, but at the same time, most expensive ($31k) Accord.

Anyhoo, in response to those who say Toyota is ahead in hybrid technology than Honda: I think a 3000lb 255hp V6 hybrid engine which has the same fuel economy as a 2400lb 120hp Civic is much more impressive than any Toyota hybrid technology out right now.
a $20k car like the prius is not an economy car, unless you're cameron diaz. you can get a toyota echo for 1/2 and save more money in the long run.

Quick Reply: Wanting to buy a Prius.