Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Wanting to buy a Prius.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to buy a Prius.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a Prius at MSRP or even under? If so, where? I've gone to a few dealerships and they all asked for at least $2K over MSRP and didn't seem to budge. They all said: "Demand, demand!"

I thought Toyota was going to increase production by a huge amount. There's still somewhat of a waiting list going on, and it's been out a while already.

So where can I buy at MSRP or under? Thanks very much!
Old 12-06-2004, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2k over msrp isn't that bad. in my area, they go up to 5k over b/c of high demand! stupid californian hippies!
Old 12-06-2004, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the Prius first came out (well first 3 months) we ordered one and their was no negociation, no price hike either. The sales man at Michaels Toyota said it was MSRP only no more no less. We waited six months and then gave up cuz they said it could take another 3-6 months and we needed a car soon. So maybe you could try Michaels toyota if you haven't. Its in bellevue so its pretty close to bothell.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:54 PM
Banned

That's what they said. When it first came out, some dealerships were doing MSRP, but since then the demand became much higher and they all started hiking up prices. I did check with Michaels. No luck! But thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:39 PM

I don't know where you are located but if it is SoCal you are in luck. I am #1 on the list after 9 months waiting for mine. Decided to get a hybrid Excape (now in the driveway) so if you want my spot give me a ring and I can set you up.

Might cost you 500$ though as thats what I put down as a deposit which I would go to the cost of the car so you are really out 0. They promised msrp they get ~6 a month.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Banned

^^ No thanks! That is a little too far from me. I'll keep looking to see if I can get MSRP or even less around here. I wonder if it's possible.

You got an Escape? That thing is more than $30K, right? Good god, I think I'd be more comfortable with a Highlander hybrid or MDX hybrid instead (actually, the MDX hybrid will be much more expensive, so strike that). What kinda gas mileage does your Escape get? Thx!
Old 12-07-2004, 03:44 AM

this is a great car,
they also make a Previa van with Hybrid engine
and Toyota has already developed a Hybrid sportscar engine that can do 0-60mph in 5secs....
can't wait to see it...
Old 12-07-2004, 03:48 AM

The Toyota Volta Hybrid sportscar

http://autos.msn.com/advice/photogallery.a...ntentid=4022425
Old 12-07-2004, 04:53 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They increased production 50% from 120K to 180K. (I think) but the battery supply is limited, and now they're putting the Lexus Hybrid out so if anything would get the extra supply I'd bet the Lexus.

I read they are making a butt load of the Lexus Hybrids so they have a few on hand at each dealer, I think they already pre-sold most of them.

If I can ask, what's the big interest in the Prius? If you want to save money it probably will never pay for the extra cost over a Corolla or such. Unless you drive a lot.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Officer_down,Dec 7 2004, 07:28 AM
^^ No thanks! That is a little too far from me. I'll keep looking to see if I can get MSRP or even less around here. I wonder if it's possible.

You got an Escape? That thing is more than $30K, right? Good god, I think I'd be more comfortable with a Highlander hybrid or MDX hybrid instead (actually, the MDX hybrid will be much more expensive, so strike that). What kinda gas mileage does your Escape get? Thx!
We payed 26K for the lower model one without leather or the 4x4. My dad could not keep getting in and out of his insight it hurt his knees. We pull abou 35 mpg which is great for a suv.

Quick Reply: Wanting to buy a Prius.