Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Want to pick up a new car (GLK or EX35).

Old 12-03-2012, 11:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Want to pick up a new car (GLK or EX35).

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a third vehicle. We currently have:
05 s2k
05 xB

The wife and I (no children) are currently looking for a third car. We've been eyeing crossovers and nothing else. Narrowed it down to:
-2013 Mercedes Benz GLK 350 & 2013 Infiniti EX35. Guess we could throw the Acura RDX in the mix as well.

This vehicle will primarily be the wife's vehicle but, I also will drive it on most outings other than her using it to commute to work. I'm leaning toward the EX35 simply because it's not a European vehicle (maintenance and electronic failures IF ANY are the only thing slightly steering me away from this crossover.)

Only, con I see with the EX35 is small cargo room. I want the reliability with the Infiniti of all things.

Any one with either car care to chime in on some of their personal experience with either if any?

Thank You in advanced!
Old 12-04-2012, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would go with RDX. the new ones look so good. if the MPG figure are not your concern, then I would go with the new GLK. they look pretty cool too and i'm a big MB fan.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 AM

Purely subjective but I'd vote for the Acura if price & cost to maintain are an issue and you can stomach the "CRV with a beak" looks. But the GLK 350 would be my personal 1st pick. A little (25%) more expensive to buy with similar options and more expensive to maintain but very reliable and MUCH better looking IMHO.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Rear seats in the EX35 are tiny - useless, really. My wife's Civic has way more leg room. It's a pointless vehicle, in my opinion, since it's effectively a large two-seater with a hatch.

The GLK is a great little SUV and you'll probably enjoy everything about it. However, for less money, the RDX offers equal or better performance in virtually every measure and since none of them are particularly great looking vehicles, the RDX seems the obvious choice to me. Honda reliability and pricing with MB performance, in this case. The GLK may be a bit more sophisticated but honestly, most people won't notice, especially in day-to-day driving.

The new RDX doesn't remotely resemble a CR-V, by the way, nor is it particularly "beaky". Perhaps you're thinking of the old one, which definitely had a bit of a beak.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure how the price matches up, but I'd look at the X3 with the 4 banger turbo. Only read good things about the engine and how much better the new X3s are compared to the previous models. I know it's german, but I have an 08 335i that's been pretty damn stout!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 AM

EX has a small back seat, and Infiniti's are kind of gas hogs.

Out of your choices I would recommend the RDX. Obviously will be solid reliability wise, and should be very comfortable and easy to drive, with a good price point with loads of features and technology. I had an MDX and it was one of my better all-around vehicles.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:30 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

I rented a GLK for a week. Had a ton of low end torque and got to 50 mph really quick feeling. I liked the big sunroof and visibility was decent, but the electronic features were not intuitive.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

Have you considered the BMW X1 xDrive35i? BMW claims 0-60 in 5.3s for this, and BMW is usually conservative.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Rear seats in the EX35 are tiny - useless, really. My wife's Civic has way more leg room. It's a pointless vehicle, in my opinion, since it's effectively a large two-seater with a hatch.

The GLK is a great little SUV and you'll probably enjoy everything about it. However, for less money, the RDX offers equal or better performance in virtually every measure and since none of them are particularly great looking vehicles, the RDX seems the obvious choice to me. Honda reliability and pricing with MB performance, in this case. The GLK may be a bit more sophisticated but honestly, most people won't notice, especially in day-to-day driving.

The new RDX doesn't remotely resemble a CR-V, by the way, nor is it particularly "beaky". Perhaps you're thinking of the old one, which definitely had a bit of a beak.

Really? You don't see the huge bucktooth on the front of the Acura? You can't see the similar roofline curve? Front overhang? Rear overhang? Doors? Headlight placement and general shape? Fog light placement, shape, and chrome surround? Door handles? Mirrors? Length, height, width? Rear quarter windows?

I know they are technically separate platforms but to me it looks like a job of badge engineering with front and rear styling changes. And one of them looks like a beaver.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Nope, I don't see it any more than I see it for any other SUV you'd post up in the class. Hyundai's Santa Fe has the same overall look as well. It's just the way that class of vehicle tends to look. Not sure if you've noticed but the wheels, headlights, foglights, windows, doors and door handles all go in the same general place no matter what vehicle you have (in general).

They're dimensionally similar so that's where you're pulling most of it, in my opinion. Again, look at the rest of the segment and you'll see similar designs.

Hyundai Santa Fe

Honda CR-V

Ford Escape

Acura RDX

Kia Sportage

In person, especially, the RDX is more substantial. The flat lower window line (no upturn like the rest, aside from the Kia) distinguishes it a fair bit. It just has more presence, in general, and looks somewhat bigger. The Hyundai looks nicest overall, to me (exterior only). The RDX is nicest inside, by a fair margin, but it's also more expensive than the rest.

Quick Reply: Want to pick up a new car (GLK or EX35).