Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

VW GTi vs Civic Si

Old 03-04-2006, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I on the other loves the way the new gti looks and thinks the si fugly, like a boxer being awkward. It performs but look awkward.
They say beuty is in the eye of the beholder...we can't make a hard statement about what looks better than what...someone will always think something else looks better.

IMO, you never drove an RSXS and an 06Si back to back on the track.....

06Si is superior to the RSXS performance wise..

thanks
Yes, but is it superior mostly BECAUSE of the LSD, or are there other factors that give it an advantage as well?
Old 03-04-2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad,Mar 4 2006, 05:21 PM

Yes, but is it superior mostly BECAUSE of the LSD, or are there other factors that give it an advantage as well?
Chassis and suspension geometry are 200% different. The only thing similar about these cars is the transmission, brakes and powerplant. To add, the engines aren't even interchangeable or identical in output.... It really sucks RealTime cannot run Honda badged vehicles.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:08 PM

The engines aren't interchangeable?

Anyways my comment to this is that we finally got two good Compact Sport Coupe/Hatches in the market to choose from.

RSX-S vs. Celica was kinda one sided and lacking in the early 2000's
Old 03-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vlad,Mar 4 2006, 05:21 PM
No ITS NOT mostly because of the LSD....HOLY FAACK...
Drive an RSX and SI back to back....

Magazine Racers
Old 03-05-2006, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Vlad,Mar 4 2006, 04:21 PM
They say beuty is in the eye of the beholder...we can't make a hard statement about what looks better than what...someone will always think something else looks better.

which is why i said "I".
Old 03-05-2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Christople,Mar 4 2006, 07:08 PM
The engines aren't interchangeable?

Anyways my comment to this is that we finally got two good Compact Sport Coupe/Hatches in the market to choose from.

RSX-S vs. Celica was kinda one sided and lacking in the early 2000's
No they're not... The Si uses a new motor mount technoolgy with the K20Z3. There's even one right next to the oil pan IIRC. These torsion mounts help to eliminate the tendency for fwd cars to wheel-hop. This also allows the LSD to function with more efficiency...

When I launch the car hard, the only wheel hop that I have noticed is when I chirp at the shift to second. The shift to third chirps but it's pretty light. At no point does the car ever bounce around or pull from side to side. To add, anything above 4.5K rpm results in a lot of wheel spin.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:05 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Being a fan of Honda's, I'd lean towards the Si normally, but man.....that GTI looks cleaner (not quite as boy racy) and that DSG tranny and 2.0L turbo motor seem to be a very nice compromise between performance and slogging through the daily commute.

If I could trust VW reliability a bit more, I'd spend the extra money no doubt on a GTI. I saw one the other day in the Park Cities (here in DFW) and it looks pretty good with that larger grill with the red line surround. Pretty cool.

The 5 door hatch is supposed to be coming out in a while, that's the one I'd want. Though, I heard the Si is coming with 4 doors, that has some appeal too.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=QUIKAG,Mar 5 2006, 12:05 PM]Being a fan of Honda's, I'd lean towards the Si normally, but man.....that GTI looks cleaner (not quite as boy racy) and that DSG tranny and 2.0L turbo motor seem to be a very nice compromise between performance and slogging through the daily commute.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:55 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

That's one of the dumbest car salesman stories I've ever heard. (not the story!, the car salesman)

Wow.....I have a passion for cars obviously and I'm not overly passionate about what I do for a living (audit/accounting), but at least I take the time to learn my subject before I try to do it or sell it. Sheesh....

though you know how much education it requires to be a car salesman? Zero.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:08 AM

Regardless of your conception of its inherited electrical problems, it is much less reliable and much more expensive to maintain. In more expensive classes, this may not be as influential, but for much of the market that 'saves up while working at Mcdonald's', it will be an issue. Insurance costs may negate this or make it worse, so as far as true pricing goes [say owning the car for 4 or 6 years, there are a lot of things to take into account.

For a daily driver and nothing else, the GTI is probably nicer considering what I've seen in R32's and other golf's, etc. But if you are going to be putting strain on the car and don't want to have to replace expensive parts relavtively soon, I'd go with the Honda. Note I said 'I', not the whole rest of the world must do the same.

Quick Reply: VW GTi vs Civic Si